https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Vaccine

Started by Dodgin, December 14, 2020, 10:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Count

Quote from: Statto on January 01, 2021, 09:50:16 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on January 01, 2021, 09:13:25 PM
Just as an aside to the vaccine shots, comes a story from California this past week.

A Nurse got the first jab, 7 days later presented with Covid symptoms, and tested positive - not from the jab it appears.

Medical experts are stating that it can take 10-14 days for the body to create the required immune reaction from the first jab, and that will account for 50% protection, with the second injection given 21 days following the first which will raise the protection to 95%.

Why did that even make the news?
Did the reporters over there think it was (a) 100% effective and (b) effective immediately?
:doh:
It made the news because sensationalist negative stories sell newspapers and get clicks on news pages. One of the disappointing, yet unsurprising, aspects of this Covid drama is the BBC's participation in this sort of behaviour.

Statto

Quote from: The Old Count on January 02, 2021, 10:25:06 AM
Just as an aside to the vaccine shots, comes a story from California this past week.

A Nurse got the first jab, 7 days later presented with Covid symptoms, and tested positive - not from the jab it appears.

Medical experts are stating that it can take 10-14 days for the body to create the required immune reaction from the first jab, and that will account for 50% protection, with the second injection given 21 days following the first which will raise the protection to 95%.

Did the reporters over there think it was (a) 100% effective and (b) effective immediately?
It made the news because sensationalist negative stories sell newspapers and get clicks on news pages. One of the disappointing, yet unsurprising, aspects of this Covid drama is the BBC's participation in this sort of behaviour.
Agreed 100%

rebel

Quote from: The Old Count on January 02, 2021, 10:25:06 AM

It made the news because, if you have the inoculation, it takes between 10 and 15 days to fully kick in and protect people. It's good thing to highlight because it's good information. They know it's a possible, people need to know that the possibility exits. 

Logicalman

It made new simply because, especially in the US, and likely other countries, the information surrounding the effectiveness of the vaccine, has not been made totally clear, especially with the massive disinformation carried via SM.

Reinforcement of actual facts such as these often need to be repeated to fight against the negativity and often ignorance surrounding the whole issue of the virus and the vaccines.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

toshes mate

Quote from: Logicalman on January 02, 2021, 12:34:20 PM

It made new simply because, especially in the US, and likely other countries, the information surrounding the effectiveness of the vaccine, has not been made totally clear, especially with the massive disinformation carried via SM.

Reinforcement of actual facts such as these often need to be repeated to fight against the negativity and often ignorance surrounding the whole issue of the virus and the vaccines.
+1

toshes mate

This is a follow up video entitled 'Immune' by Prof Racaniello in his series of discussion with three experts on virology and immunology in a zoom setting. 

It covers criticism of his earlier video (linked above), the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine (one of the panel was recently given a jab), population (since 'herd' seems to now be a dirty word) immunity, how immunity/vaccines work in conjunction with population immunity, media misinformation, our immune systems in action and why seemingly poor systems do better against spiked protein attacks than seemingly healthier ones, PCR tests, and answering emailed questions from their wide audience of interested parties.  It is long (90 mins) and not for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g9sFXXLJKo

cottage expat

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on December 17, 2020, 02:37:09 PM
Imagine being threatened with societal ostracization for not taking an experimental vaccine for a virus that has a ~+99% survival rate, when it's not even known whether the vaccine will prevent contagiousness.

Nobody should be ostracized for choosing not to take the vaccine. However, while the survival rate is very high, as you point out, the disease itself can be very debilitating and the long term effects are as yet unknown. I have a cousin in the UK who contracted the virus in late March and is a so-called long hauler who still suffers blinding headaches,fatigue, and nausea.

Berserker

I asked the nurse who perioically takes my blood  if I would get the vacine as I had Covid in October. She said they would be vacinating people who already had it. Although I haven't read anything to that affect so still not sure if this is the case

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Dodgin

Had my second jab on Monday, told that my arm would ache more than the first one, which it did but fine now. Will make the point that nothing really changes in taking precautions as my wife is just 67 and I could still pass covid on if infected. A friend in Wimbledon, had his second appointment cancelled and is on the twelve week wait now but has been told his second vaccine jab could be different from the first. I assume this only happens if the original is out not available.

filham

I am in my eighties and have had several letters and emails warning me to stay at home and shield as I am defined as clinically at risk. My wife is also in her eighties but 3 years younger than me and has had no shielding warnings.

As yet I have received no vaccine offer but my younger wife has been given options of a vaccine at Central London, Guildford, Bristol or Birmingham. The nearest to our home in Shepperton is Guildford , a round trip of some 30 miles.
Oh, we are warned that there are no toilets at Guildford so if we may need a pee we had best select one of the other sites.
Meanwhile we read in the media that we are not to travel far from home.

toshes mate

I have had my first Pfizer/BioNTech jab this morning courtesy of my GP surgery which has served me so well in the last twenty odd years in a very well organised operation where I saw at least twenty people being vaccinated every fifteen minutes (the resting period after the jab) or so.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: toshes mate on January 13, 2021, 11:58:47 AM
I have had my first Pfizer/BioNTech jab this morning courtesy of my GP surgery which has served me so well in the last twenty odd years in a very well organised operation where I saw at least twenty people being vaccinated every fifteen minutes (the resting period after the jab) or so.
Good effort... my Father-in-law is in his late 80s and has just had his 2nd jab.... he cannot wait to get back out and about.  Scarborough has a very high percentage of older people, and the local hospital is doing 8 people (cubicals) every 10 mins from 8am to 8pm.... not many people not turning up, which is great. They are also doing Hospital staff, Police, Fire fighters, Ambulance staff etc.... luckily quite a few people have volunteered to help also... driving older people to get their jabs.
Every town / City will have different processes and issues, but locally it seems to be going very well so far 👍🙏🤞  Good luck everyone COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

toshes mate

Quote from: Berserker on January 03, 2021, 06:59:24 PM
I asked the nurse who perioically takes my blood  if I would get the vacine as I had Covid in October. She said they would be vacinating people who already had it. Although I haven't read anything to that affect so still not sure if this is the case

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

They are vaccinating everyone regardless of COVID-19 history but it does seem to be another postcode lottery dependent upon local service availability.  I hope all of you, especially those in vulnerable groups, get sorted soon because I was very surprised to get my jab offer so quickly but I do belong to a highly regarded GP practice with excellent staffing.

blingo

Im still very much in the im not getting injected camp. I honestly believe that no government can control a virus. I know it exists, my Aunt died of it two days ago, no amount of lockdown will stop this. It may delay it, but that is all. Herd immunity is the only way out of it.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

It is strange because one 83 year old neighbour had his second jab on Friday and yet four other couples within fifty yards have not yet had their letters. I booked on Sunday without waiting for my letter and had my jab at Epsom Downs yesterday. My letter arrived on Monday.
Nonsuch House in Nonsuch Park is dealing with London patients and the GLC border is close to where I live.I have it on good authority that on one day last week 43 people failed to keep their appointments which is disgusting!

rebel

Quote from: blingo on January 13, 2021, 01:54:24 PM
Im still very much in the im not getting injected camp. I honestly believe that no government can control a virus. I know it exists, my Aunt died of it two days ago, no amount of lockdown will stop this. It may delay it, but that is all. Herd immunity is the only way out of it.

Have a chat with you're GP. Talk over the Pros and Cons (there are none).

Holders

My partner's mother is 91 and was offered the vaccine early on. She turned it down. Crazy. She's just been offered a free central heating installation worth £5000 under the government scheme and doesn't want that either as it would mean tidying up. It correlates absolutely.

As an aside, a friend who is by all other intents and purposes an intelligent bloke has something that he wants to get to us. He lives in Walthamstow, we're in Devon, and he wanted us to meet him in Bristol as he was on his way to Cheltenham. None of this is essential. With people being in denial like that no wonder it's spreading.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

mrmicawbers

I see they are trialling the Vaccine Passport to be shown when entering various establishments going forward apparently.Good thing in my opinion may help people sitting on the fence that having a jab is in their interest.I have had covid but feel it is my civic duty to take the vaccine and would advise everyone to do so when they are asked.The only way out of this horrible situation in my opinion and it cant come quick enough.

Statto

Quote from: filham on January 13, 2021, 11:47:53 AM
I am in my eighties and have had several letters and emails warning me to stay at home and shield as I am defined as clinically at risk. My wife is also in her eighties but 3 years younger than me and has had no shielding warnings.

As yet I have received no vaccine offer but my younger wife has been given options of a vaccine at Central London, Guildford, Bristol or Birmingham. The nearest to our home in Shepperton is Guildford , a round trip of some 30 miles.
Oh, we are warned that there are no toilets at Guildford so if we may need a pee we had best select one of the other sites.
Meanwhile we read in the media that we are not to travel far from home.

If you go on Twitter the usual mob who've had an axe to grind with this government since June 2016 are now turning their attention to the fact the vaccine isn't being administered 24/7 ad claiming their 94-year-old grandmothers would gladly make their way to a vaccine venue at 3am if necessary. Then on here, complaints about the venue being 15 miles away and not having toilets. Just goes to show the govt cannot win.

LittleErn

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on January 13, 2021, 12:11:53 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on January 13, 2021, 11:58:47 AM
Good effort... my Father-in-law is in his late 80s and has just had his 2nd jab.... he cannot wait to get back out and about.  Scarborough has a very high percentage of older people, and the local hospital is doing 8 people (cubicals) every 10 mins from 8am to 8pm.... not many people not turning up, which is great. They are also doing Hospital staff, Police, Fire fighters, Ambulance staff etc.... luckily quite a few people have volunteered to help also... driving older people to get their jabs.
Every town / City will have different processes and issues, but locally it seems to be going very well so far 👍🙏🤞  Good luck everyone COYW

I'm in Yorkshire too,(Wakefield)

, but the process here seems very hit and miss. We know some folk well over 80 with underlying health conditions who haven't been offered the jab and others just over 80 and in rude health who have. It doesn't seem to be going on age or on surname - just random. I shall be 80 on Jan 31st, so will I stay in the 75-80 group? If they haven't finished all the over 80s will I join them? Just as long as I don't fall in the crack between the two groups! Fingers crossed!

For those who are relying on Herd immunity, remember that those who get immunity through the vaccine are part of the herd so the more people who get it the quicker the herd will be "immune".