https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Vaccine

Started by Dodgin, December 14, 2020, 10:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Quote from: Andy S on December 14, 2020, 01:11:24 PM
Why are people more frightened of the vaccine than three virus

Simply put: This predates the current issues, and goes way back to early 20th Century, so the question isn't "Why are people more frightened of the vaccine than the virus", it's quite simply "Why are people wary of vaccinations in general", which is a much larger discussion, and is worldwide.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: clarkey on December 14, 2020, 01:06:47 PM
The anti vaxxers only have to look at the history of small pox, MMR and Polio. Who in their right mind would not take extra precautions if travelling up the Zambezi or going to India for example ? Who would not take an anti tetanus jab if they trod on a rusty nail ?

I don't think it's fair for those who are skeptical about the Covid Vaccine specifically to be conflated as one and the same as "anti-Vaxxers", as that is a term historically used for a group who have an entirely different set of views and largely different reasons for justifying their views. I for one have nothing against vaccination per se and agree that it is common sense for the elderly & vulnerable to take it (if they so choose).

Quote from: Andy S on December 14, 2020, 01:11:24 PM
Why are people more frightened of the vaccine than three virus

~80% of the population are asymptomatic to the virus, of those that aren't many still only suffer mild symptoms.

The vaccine however is an unprecedented technology which is still largely experimental.

The pharmaceutical companies behind their development aren't exactly a shining beacon of light either:

GlaxoSmithKline to Plead Guilty and Pay $3 Billion to Resolve Fraud Allegations and Failure to Report Safety Data

Pfizer to Pay $2.3 Billion for Fraudulent Marketing

Pharmaceutical Giant AstraZeneca to Pay $520 Million for Off-label Drug Marketing

bobbo

I can't wait at 75 , hoping to get down to see my daughter on OZ sooner rather than later.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Oakeshott

"I am in group 2 and clinically at risk"

I've several friends in this category (in the Harrow area). One now has an appointment for Wednesday, the other two haven't yet heard. That suggests there are quite a lot in this category relative to the number of vaccination slots available.

MJG

Quote from: Twig on December 14, 2020, 11:14:30 AM
My wife and I are in category 5 and can't wait to get it. It's not just important for our protection, we both also see it as a social responsibility.
:54:
Just the views of a long term fan

Dodgin

Back home after jab, quite a few in queue, usual few groaning about thw waiting. while the nurses are working their socks off.

filham

Quote from: clarkey on December 14, 2020, 01:06:47 PM
Well said Twig.Perfectly put.

The more who take it the sooner we get back to normal.The safer we are the less pressure on the NHS.

The anti vaxxers only have to look at the history of small pox, MMR and Polio. Who in their right mind would not take extra precautions if travelling up the Zambezi or going to India for example ? Who would not take an anti tetanus jab if they trod on a rusty nail ?

We could have a problem with Wednesday though...Tier Three for London would cancel fans going, that includes me and my boy. Real shame......
Breaking News - London just moved into Tier 3.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I am 80 and can't wait for mine. A centre is being opened at Epsom Race Course and that in my main hope.

toshes mate

Well done, Dodgin.

According to my family GPs there are a lot of reasons why people are not taking up the offer of the vaccine which include fear of exposure to the virus travelling to and from or at the site where the vaccination and recovery (approx. 20mins) is performed.  Since there are two such visits to be made there is a perceived double risk and it should be remembered that the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine does not offer immunity to the virus but does reduce the chances of serious symptoms if infected.  Full protection from bad infections is stated to be achieved a week after the second jab.   

The lack of take up may be why some health workers are getting ahead of the pecking order because a batch, once opened, has to be used up quickly.   

If an early chance was offered to me I would take it since, one way or another, it'll prove something, which is what all vaccines need to have to get more general acceptance.   However, I anticipate a fairly lengthy wait unless the other two vaccines awaiting approval appear.

Holders

Quote from: toshes mate on December 14, 2020, 03:38:07 PM
Well done, Dodgin.

According to my family GPs there are a lot of reasons why people are not taking up the offer of the vaccine which include fear of exposure to the virus travelling to and from or at the site where the vaccination and recovery (approx. 20mins) is performed.  Since there are two such visits to be made there is a perceived double risk and it should be remembered that the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine does not offer immunity to the virus but does reduce the chances of serious symptoms if infected.  Full protection from bad infections is stated to be achieved a week after the second jab.   

The lack of take up may be why some health workers are getting ahead of the pecking order because a batch, once opened, has to be used up quickly.   

If an early chance was offered to me I would take it since, one way or another, it'll prove something, which is what all vaccines need to have to get more general acceptance.   However, I anticipate a fairly lengthy wait unless the other two vaccines awaiting approval appear.

I'm hoping for the Oxford one but it's interesting that they're researching into whether different vaccines might complement each other and a combination prove more effective than one alone. By the time they get to most of us they might have more idea. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

The Rock

Just curious- what is the expectation if you are under 50 and have no health issues? When do you think they will get through these first 9 phases? 3 months? 6 months?

Twig

Quote from: The Rock on December 14, 2020, 05:35:09 PM
Just curious- what is the expectation if you are under 50 and have no health issues? When do you think they will get through these first 9 phases? 3 months? 6 months?

Just guessing but I would reckon May/June or thereabouts.

rebel

Quote from: Holders on December 14, 2020, 03:50:59 PM
Well done, Dodgin.

I'm hoping for the Oxford one but it's interesting that they're researching into whether different vaccines might complement each other and a combination prove more effective than one alone. By the time they get to most of us they might have more idea. 

The Oxford vaccine was a two jab inoculation, in error, one of the jabs only contained half the vaccine. So they found by mistake that the one and a half jabs worked better then the two jabs. Because this didn't fit the profile of the trial which was based on two full jabs, they are having to look at others ways of moving ahead with their vaccine. 

Holders

Quote from: rebel on December 14, 2020, 07:09:31 PM
Well done, Dodgin.

The Oxford vaccine was a two jab inoculation, in error, one of the jabs only contained half the vaccine. So they found by mistake that the one and a half jabs worked better then the two jabs. Because this didn't fit the profile of the trial which was based on two full jabs, they are having to look at others ways of moving ahead with their vaccine. 

That's the gist, it's a bit more complex than that.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

rebel

Quote from: Holders on December 14, 2020, 07:16:26 PM
Well done, Dodgin.

I didn't want to give you 'War and Peace' on it.

The Rock

Quote from: rebel on December 14, 2020, 07:46:44 PM
Quote from: Holders on December 14, 2020, 07:16:26 PM
Well done, Dodgin.

I didn't want to give you 'War and Peace' on it.

Lot of jibber jabber in there, agreed.

Milo

I believe I'm due to have mine on 21st Dec.

rebel

Quote from: Milo on December 14, 2020, 08:02:33 PM

Good luck.

Statto

Quote from: Holders on December 14, 2020, 10:11:29 AM
Quote from: Sgt Fulham on December 14, 2020, 10:08:16 AM
Good man. I know its important to keep politics off this board but as someone who works in the Pharmaceutical industry, namely for one of those involved in the vaccine project I am glad you're taking the sensible option. I hope you make it to a game soon.

Common sense shouldn't be political!

0001.jpeg

gang

Quote from: Milo on December 14, 2020, 08:02:33 PM

That would be my birthday present.