https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Vaccine

Started by Dodgin, December 14, 2020, 10:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blingo

Quote from: rebel on December 14, 2020, 11:03:57 AM
Quote from: blingo on December 14, 2020, 10:45:20 AM
Blingo still wont be taking it. Sorry but I don't trust any of the vaccines at the moment.

Ask the nurse if you can have it on the bottom, if you think it's going to hurt you, 'Carry On' fashion.

I inject twice a day so hardly think Im scared of the jab hahaha

toshes mate

Quote from: rebel on December 14, 2020, 07:09:31 PM
The Oxford vaccine was a two jab inoculation, in error, one of the jabs only contained half the vaccine. So they found by mistake that the one and a half jabs worked better then the two jabs. Because this didn't fit the profile of the trial which was based on two full jabs, they are having to look at others ways of moving ahead with their vaccine. 
The Oxford double dose vaccine does however offer 'improved immunity' at some stage which is not true of the Pfizer/BioNTech double dose at any stage.  We are also seeing much greater interest as to why children's naive T-cells seem to bat the infection away with zero symptoms which may be mitigated by many already known other reasons, e.g. shallower, more frequent, breathing due to lower lung capacity, but is also a reason why they do not normally pass the infection on to others because viral load would be very low.   

In Iceland their supremely effective public health track and trace has very detailed maps of infection which also gives clues as to the paths of infection.   If only other nations had such disciplined public health we would know much more about this virus. 

rebel

Quote from: HV71 on December 14, 2020, 12:36:23 PM
Quote from: Holders on December 14, 2020, 11:16:31 AM
Quote from: Twig on December 14, 2020, 11:14:30 AM
My wife and I are in category 5 and can't wait to get it. It's not just important for our protection, we both also see it as a social responsibility.

THIS.

So right~ it is the responsible thing to do. I am certainly no fan of this government - but they have thrown money at the problem and as citizens we should play our part in trying to keep this virus at bay.

The Government could of saved the 'manic state of affairs' had it simply told people in mid to late January to wear masks and social distance, thousands of lives would have been saved (even if the virus hadn't appeared in the UK). Prevention is always much better then cure.     

Jim©

Some health workers (like my sister- working in Operating Theatre of major hospital in SW London) have today been told that they cannot be innocculated immediately and given no reason as to why.
There are plenty of reasons why this may have happened, but I hope it's not already dwindling availability of the vaccine.

Whitestone

Quote from: toshes mate on December 15, 2020, 09:17:23 AM
The Oxford vaccine was a two jab inoculation, in error, one of the jabs only contained half the vaccine. So they found by mistake that the one and a half jabs worked better then the two jabs. Because this didn't fit the profile of the trial which was based on two full jabs, they are having to look at others ways of moving ahead with their vaccine. 
The Oxford double dose vaccine does however offer 'improved immunity' at some stage which is not true of the Pfizer/BioNTech double dose at any stage.  We are also seeing much greater interest as to why children's naive T-cells seem to bat the infection away with zero symptoms which may be mitigated by many already known other reasons, e.g. shallower, more frequent, breathing due to lower lung capacity, but is also a reason why they do not normally pass the infection on to others because viral load would be very low.   

In Iceland their supremely effective public health track and trace has very detailed maps of infection which also gives clues as to the paths of infection.   If only other nations had such disciplined public health we would know much more about this virus.

Iceland have a population of 364,00 not dissimilar to that of the city of Cardiff. It's a significantly easier task to control a virus with those numbers. Quite simply not comparable to other nations with population numbers in the high millions.

toshes mate

Quote from: Whitestone on December 15, 2020, 09:35:22 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on December 15, 2020, 09:17:23 AM

Iceland have a population of 364,00 not dissimilar to that of the city of Cardiff. It's a significantly easier task to control a virus with those numbers. Quite simply not comparable to other nations with population numbers in the high millions.
Regardless of population size the virus will eventually run out of hosts.  Experts say that it is more likely that any mutations of SARS-CoV-2 will likely be more benign than the original rather than more pernicious since that has been true of all coronaviruses that linger in the human population from colds to 'flu.  Most seasonal 'flu deaths are within the elderly population which is why 'flu jabs are offered since infection is always possible no matter how a population behaves. 

Holders

Quote from: rebel on December 15, 2020, 09:30:19 AM
My wife and I are in category 5 and can't wait to get it. It's not just important for our protection, we both also see it as a social responsibility.

THIS.

So right~ it is the responsible thing to do. I am certainly no fan of this government - but they have thrown money at the problem and as citizens we should play our part in trying to keep this virus at bay.

The Government could of saved the 'manic state of affairs' had it simply told people in mid to late January to wear masks and social distance, thousands of lives would have been saved (even if the virus hadn't appeared in the UK). Prevention is always much better then cure.     

Sensible, yes, but in the government's defence I suspect that the shortage of masks even for front-line NHS staff may well have been a factor in the absence of that advice, even setting aside an arguable lack of perception of the seriousness. Besides, mask-wearing hasn't been normal in the West and only really became the unselfconscious norm for most people in late spring. I was in Salzburg last December, before the virus became rife, and there were literally thousands of Chinese tourists there all wearing masks. Even visiting north Exmoor in June, an oriental family was wearing masks in the open countryside on a hot day. They've become accustomed to it whereas we hadn't before now and there was a societal resistance to it initially.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Statto

But let's not rewrite the past. In mid-March it wasn't just us, but Germany and all our other peers, who weren't closing borders, weren't mandating masks, weren't even contemplating a lockdown etc. All the talk then was just about letting the virus run it's course like a bad flu season. IIRC it only really kicked off when the Imperial College modelling came out showing the proportion of people that were going unto ICU and how that would overwhelm hospitals. Easy to say now we should have done this or that sooner but we didn't know then what we know now. Even in relation to masks the scientific advice was inconsistent.

Also IMO there's a chance that in further time, once the deaths stop and the economic damage sets in, the pendulum will swing the other way and people will start saying we should never have done any of the things we've done in the last 9 months, we should have just carried on as normal and taken it on the chin in March.

alfie

THIS.

That's true, but people have been told to wear masks and social distance and choose to ignore it.
Only 2/3 weeks ago a few thousand people arrived in London for an anti-mask demonstration, why in gods name would people do that, if someone is not going to wear a mask that's their choice, but why have demonstration.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

rebel

The whole point of having embassies all around the world i.e. in China is that they monitor what's going on in that country. The British Embassy in China would have been well aware of 'Wuhan' and the situation there, the fact that reports were getting out into the media was like 'white smoke', a big signal that something was wrong. Normally the Chinese government are good at stopping 'bad news'. In late December early January cruise ships were stationary at docks because of the virus. So it was kind of obvious the virus was spreading. 

At that point face coverings / masks etc could have been ready for demand. If people then took the preventative measures the hospitals wouldn't have been inundated etc, etc. The Government would have been in control, instead of having to chase the virus.   

rebel

Quote from: alfie on December 15, 2020, 11:42:13 AM

THIS.

That's true, but people have been told to wear masks and social distance and choose to ignore it.
Only 2/3 weeks ago a few thousand people arrived in London for an anti-mask demonstration, why in gods name would people do that, if someone is not going to wear a mask that's their choice, but why have demonstration.

It's all to do with mixed messages, you've got the Health Secretary, talking about preventative measures i.e. wearing masks, etc. then in the same interview, talking vaccines, vaccines, 'the end is near' etc. All the 'gobbledygook' about this Tier, that Tier etc, is confusing for people. 

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Statto on December 14, 2020, 09:27:45 PM
Quote from: Holders on December 14, 2020, 10:11:29 AM
Quote from: Sgt Fulham on December 14, 2020, 10:08:16 AM
Good man. I know its important to keep politics off this board but as someone who works in the Pharmaceutical industry, namely for one of those involved in the vaccine project I am glad you're taking the sensible option. I hope you make it to a game soon.

Common sense shouldn't be political!

0001.jpeg

I agree. Unfortunately these days we have to pander to the most offended populations regardless of their merit or the merit of their ideas. There is a lot of misinformation out there and while everyone has the right to what they put in their body, anyone with a scientific background will look at the evidence and conclude that you're (on average) a lot safer taking the vaccine than not. To me, choosing not to take the vaccine is like betting on Peterborough beating Man City. Possible  but extremely unlikely. My advice to those that are on the fence is to talk to people that are science literate and understand basic statistics and go with the probabilities.

Also as very well said elsewhere, not everyone can take the vaccine. Please bear in mind these people when making a decision.

filham

As soon as you are given the opportunity get along to the center and get the jab, it is for all our benefits.

Difficult for us older people to understand why anyone is hesitating, perhaps it should be compulsory. When enlisted for national service we were all given a number of jabs, at the same time in the same arm. We just had to get in a long line and take the old blunt needle one after the other. No debate or choice simple routine.
Further jabs were then administered before an overseas posting.

Holders

SAGE was aware in mid-January:

"In the middle of January Prof Andrew Pollard, the director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, which runs clinical trials, shared a taxi with a modeller who worked for the UK government's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies. During the journey, the scientist told him data suggested there was going to be a pandemic not unlike the 1918 flu.

"I went from someone who was aware of a small outbreak in China, which was of academic interest, to realising that it was going to change our lives. It was a chilling moment," Pollard says."
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

rebel

Quote from: Holders on December 15, 2020, 12:28:14 PM
SAGE was aware in mid-January:

"In the middle of January Prof Andrew Pollard, the director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, which runs clinical trials, shared a taxi with a modeller who worked for the UK government's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies. During the journey, the scientist told him data suggested there was going to be a pandemic not unlike the 1918 flu.

"I went from someone who was aware of a small outbreak in China, which was of academic interest, to realising that it was going to change our lives. It was a chilling moment," Pollard says."

Exactly, it was known about, a lot of people knew about it. I was aware of it in mid December.

rebel

The headline is misleading, it's a two jab process -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55332242

Twig

THIS.

It's not like me to defend this government but to be fair the WHO advice did not favour masks back in January.

Twig

Quote from: rebel on December 15, 2020, 11:48:40 AM
Quote from: alfie on December 15, 2020, 11:42:13 AM

THIS.

It's all to do with mixed messages, you've got the Health Secretary, talking about preventative measures i.e. wearing masks, etc. then in the same interview, talking vaccines, vaccines, 'the end is near' etc. All the 'gobbledygook' about this Tier, that Tier etc, is confusing for people. 

I don't think that several thousand idiots coming to demonstrate in London has anything to do with mixed messaging. These people are just bone heads.

That said I agree that the government's messaging and some of the pre entative measures have been confusing and have at times appeared contradictory.

filham

So, tell me how are we notified that a jab is ready for us, email, letter or phone call and by whom.

rebel

Quote from: Twig on December 16, 2020, 01:36:38 PM

THIS.

It's not like me to defend this government but to be fair the WHO advice did not favour masks back in January.

China tried to 'save face', gave the WHO (totally inept) the run around so the 'mystery virus' couldn't be investigated. So what advice WHO gives is reactionary and not preventative, it's all scientist based, not practical measures that were so easy to implement with Rules for non compliance.