https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Vaccine

Started by Dodgin, December 14, 2020, 10:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCAli

Quote from: cookieg on March 15, 2021, 10:08:43 PM
Quote from: blingo on March 15, 2021, 08:28:13 PM
Has anyone changed their minds about the vaccine with what's going on with blood clots?
I'm still going to wait.

Europe has although I can't help thinking that this is a convenient excuse for their mismanagement in signing contracts for vaccines early on.
+1

Dodgin

Just heard on BBC Politics programme that the Pfizer vaccine and the Astra jab have only a tiny differenece in blood clot stats.

Steeeeeeeeeed

I'm 48 and live in North London and had an "estimate" of my first jab to be in July.

I just received an invite by text (from my GPs number) to book my first jab for this Saturday (20th March), which I booked straight away. So rather impressed with that.

I didnt seem to be able to book another day, and only had about 12 time slots to choose from, so maybe they are giving folk like me a chance to get one early on a first come first served basis.

My flatmate had both her jabs before the end of January, she works in a care home and they were probably going to have to close it if she and some of her colleagues didn't get it at the time. Fair play to her she's working 6 days a week in there.

Holders

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on March 16, 2021, 01:04:45 PM
I'm 48 and live in North London and had an "estimate" of my first jab to be in July.

I just received an invite by text (from my GPs number) to book my first jab for this Saturday (20th March), which I booked straight away. So rather impressed with that.

I didnt seem to be able to book another day, and only had about 12 time slots to choose from, so maybe they are giving folk like me a chance to get one early on a first come first served basis.

My flatmate had both her jabs before the end of January, she works in a care home and they were probably going to have to close it if she and some of her colleagues didn't get it at the time. Fair play to her she's working 6 days a week in there.

Good for you. The main website is inviting people 55 and over so maybe your part of the country is ahead of the game. My partner (56) had hers yesterday and she got in as soon as it was opened up to her age-group.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Milo

Received my second Pfizer today :)

Lordedmundo

Quote from: Holders on March 16, 2021, 01:13:38 PM
Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on March 16, 2021, 01:04:45 PM

Good for you. The main website is inviting people 55 and over so maybe your part of the country is ahead of the game. My partner (56) had hers yesterday and she got in as soon as it was opened up to her age-group.

Accurate estimates for the UK as a whole are available here: https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk

I've been checking every week or so and the queue time estimate is improving all the time. 

I'm 50 (nearly 51!) and live in Kent - so expect to be called in the next couple of weeks.

Even in January, North London was a week or so ahead of my area (I know because my Dad lives in London and my Mum in Kent and my Dad received his first jab earlier) - maybe even more so now....

Holders

Quote from: Dodgin on March 16, 2021, 12:37:44 PM
Just heard on BBC Politics programme that the Pfizer vaccine and the Astra jab have only a tiny differenece in blood clot stats.

After 10 million doses, Astra Zeneca have reported 28 cases of blood clots.

Pfizer: 11 million doses, 25 cases.

bobbo

But how do they know that the clots are as a result of the jabs . That percentage looks to me like it could be a natural figure that they may have got a blood clot regardless of the vaccine . But of course I don't know.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Milo

Also Covid is prothrombotic and clots are the most common major complication of Covid-19.

We know a lot of people have or had Covid-19 without realising it.. often around the time of the first vaccine as it was the peak of the pandemic etc.

Holders

Quote from: bobbo on March 16, 2021, 04:02:31 PM
But how do they know that the clots are as a result of the jabs . That percentage looks to me like it could be a natural figure that they may have got a blood clot regardless of the vaccine . But of course I don't know.

They don't. These raw figures don't take that into account and it would be interesting to know the underlying incidence. Another variable would be the demographics that the respective jabs were given to. So many variables but no cause for alarm certainly.

Perhaps the EMA will come up with some of those answers when they report - supposedly Thursday.

SP

Quote from: Milo on March 16, 2021, 01:55:09 PM

Got my first AZ jab today, very impressed with the set-up.  My wife requested the Pfizer version but was told they only had supplies to administer them for the second jab.  Can't say I'm fussed which I was given.

Milo

Quote from: SP on March 16, 2021, 04:38:19 PM

Got my first AZ jab today, very impressed with the set-up.  My wife requested the Pfizer version but was told they only had supplies to administer them for the second jab.  Can't say I'm fussed which I was given.

My father had AZ and said it was like a conveyer belt. Unlike Pfizer where you hang around with a cup of tea for 15 minutes incase you keel over and die!

cottage expat

With you, Milo. Going for my second (Pfizer) this afternoon (-:

cottage expat

The current data actually shows the incidence off blood clots to be slightly lower among vaccinated people than among the non-vaccinated.

ALG01

just my take but some countires are either very ignorant or playing politicsOR our governement is keeping information from us.

But my understannding is that the rate of blood clots in people that had the jab and those that didn't is about like for like. however, i am not always trustful of this sort of data.. I had the astra z, and am happy to have the second dose.

davew

And they don't either, don't worry!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

davew

Quote from: ALG01 on March 16, 2021, 04:50:22 PM
just my take but some countires are either very ignorant or playing politicsOR our governement is keeping information from us.

But my understannding is that the rate of blood clots in people that had the jab and those that didn't is about like for like. however, i am not always trustful of this sort of data.. I had the astra z, and am happy to have the second dose.
Me too, what date did you have your first dose as I want to check you are still on here when I have mine!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

S.F.Sorrow

You all seem to be missing the point about AZ and blod clots. It's not just about blod clots but an extremely rare condition with blood clots combined with low platelet counts and internal bleeding. Which means that the normal treatment for blod clots can't be used because it would increase the bleeding and kill the patient.

Blod clots alone are not occuring at a higher rate than usual but blod clots + low platelets and bleeding is considerably higher because it's such an extremely rare combination. A connection with AZ seems very likely as more and more countries are looking into their cases and find this same lethal combination of both blod clots and low platelet counts.

(I'm not a vaccine sceptic BTW and will happily get the first one I'm offered, the risk is still far lower than covid itself).

blingo

By how much is it lower? 99.7% of people who get covid recover.

shepperton white

I think the whole EU led by the Germans are politicising the AZ vaccine because they've  f..... up their whole vaccination programme.  The fact is you stand a better chance of blood clots if you smoke or are giving birth.  There may well be odd case but the risk is so small it's not worth worrying about.  I'm 80 and couldn't wait to get my first jab.  Both my wife and I had no ill affects whatsoever.  My second one is at the end of the month.  At the end of the day its a personal choice take it or leave it