more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Vaccine

Started by Dodgin, December 14, 2020, 10:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburywhite

Quote from: blingo on March 30, 2021, 03:58:42 PM
I have been affected so I know. However, how many under 50s have died? Has the compulsory wearing of masks worked? All I see is governments controlling people's lives and airlines controlling whether or not you can fly. Who has the right to take people's freedom away in this day and age? Watch how, as time goes by the governments report improvements in the pandemic as economies break down to unsustainable levels. Personal thoughts are that governments screwed up big time and don't know which way to turn now to get out of it. It exists, it's a serious strain of flu but there have been worse and we have survived. Taking the vaccine won't stop you getting it or passing it on. Still too many unanswered questions for blin..... Not at all convinced.... go.

Yeah, they have done so well with denying it in Brazil havent they?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

blingo

Any better or worse than anywhere else? Will they reach herd immunity before other countries?

mrmicawbers

Quote from: blingo on March 31, 2021, 08:14:48 PM
Any better or worse than anywhere else? Will they reach herd immunity before other countries?
Believe they thought they had first time round,when their new variant came back to bite then on their arse.

Andy S

Bling from the very word go you have been against the vaccine. At every turn you have been proven wrong. The vaccine is probably the only way out of this mess. Whether you have it or not is your choice although I suspect that you will eventually. I believe your theories are very misguided and only silly people will share your view

Plodder

I had my first injection (Astrazeneca) a few weeks ago with the second booked for early June.  Everything we do or don't do carries a risk of some kind, but to me the risk of serious illness or death from Covid (albeit very slight) is greater than the almost negligible risk of an immediate or future complication caused by the Astrazeneca vaccine.

I can understand the "Blingo" viewpoint in terms of him assessing the relative risks differently and making his decision accordingly, even if I reach a different conclusion. However, what I can't accept is Blingo questioning whether the vaccines are effective. That flies in the face of a mountain of evidence from around the world that all the vaccines are effective in terms of making the recipient of the vaccine less likely to catch Covid 19, and reducing the likelihood of serious illness or death if he/she does catch it.  This is in addition to reducing transmission among the population.  Of course no vaccine offers 100% protection, but all the research and real world data shows beyond reasonable doubt that they are extremely effective. I can (whilst disagreeing with it) understand a decision not to get vaccinated because of fear of possible long term effects, but to suggest vaccines are ineffective in terms of countering Covid 19 is just plain stupid, and ignores all the evidence.

JoelH5

Quote from: Plodder on April 01, 2021, 10:11:08 PM
I had my first injection (Astrazeneca) a few weeks ago with the second booked for early June.  Everything we do or don't do carries a risk of some kind, but to me the risk of serious illness or death from Covid (albeit very slight) is greater than the almost negligible risk of an immediate or future complication caused by the Astrazeneca vaccine.

I can understand the "Blingo" viewpoint in terms of him assessing the relative risks differently and making his decision accordingly, even if I reach a different conclusion. However, what I can't accept is Blingo questioning whether the vaccines are effective. That flies in the face of a mountain of evidence from around the world that all the vaccines are effective in terms of making the recipient of the vaccine less likely to catch Covid 19, and reducing the likelihood of serious illness or death if he/she does catch it.  This is in addition to reducing transmission among the population.  Of course no vaccine offers 100% protection, but all the research and real world data shows beyond reasonable doubt that they are extremely effective. I can (whilst disagreeing with it) understand a decision not to get vaccinated because of fear of possible long term effects, but to suggest vaccines are ineffective in terms of countering Covid 19 is just plain stupid, and ignores all the evidence.

Well said
I was there, standing in the Putney end

blingo

A different view of things doesn't make someone stupid. I respect your choices, you should do the same.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: blingo on April 01, 2021, 11:09:21 PM
A different view of things doesn't make someone stupid Andy. I respect your choices, you should do the same.
Where do you think we would be Blingo  if everyone decided to do what you will not?

toshes mate

Adherence to the test, trace and isolate system in the UK:  Results from 37 nationally representative surveys. (BMJ Open Access)

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n608

This study perhaps demonstrates where (and why) the greatest transmissions of Covid-19 occur.  As this local discussion indicates it'll be interesting to see how vaccination alters our behaviours the next time we cough, sneeze, run a temperature and/or lose our sense of smell and no doubt there will be further research studies on this very topic.   I do hope that common sense wins out in the end and we see an end to the blame culture.       

Southcoastffc

A different view of things doesn't make someone stupid Andy. I respect your choices, you should do the same.
Very true.  I happen to disagree with you about the vaccine Blingo but we still live in a relatively free society so wouldn't dream of criticising you for your belief.  I am curious about one thing though - you said earlier that you are not happy about having a jab - does that mean you actually have already declined, or will, decline a vaccination?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

blingo

Quote from: mrmicawbers on April 02, 2021, 11:34:10 AM
Where do you think we would be Blingo  if everyone decided to do what you will not?

At no point anywhere have I even suggested that you should or should not take the vaccine Mr Mic. I do however have the right to express my point of view. Whether you agree with it or not, does not make me stupid does it?

blingo

I have declined it so far Mr Southcoast, and i'm going to be 65 in July  and I am insulin dependant. It is my right and I have (until now) still got my freedom of speech. I have no doubt though that eventually if I want to travel, that I will have to take it. If it is working then protect the vulnerable and let the rest live normal lives. What percentage of under 60s have died from the virus? The latest in Spain now is that you have to wear a mask on the beach. That to me seems ridiculous. But that is MY opinion. The actions of governments will kill more people and put more people into poverty that covid will

Twig

Quote from: blingo on April 02, 2021, 12:24:15 PM
I have declined it so far Mr Southcoast, and i'm going to be 65 in July  and I am insulin dependant. It is my right and I have (until now) still got my freedom of speach. I have no doubt though that eventually if I want to travel, that I will have to take it. If it is working then protect the vulnerable and let the rest live normal lives. What percentage of under 60s have died from the virus? The latest in Spain now is that you have to wear a mask on the beach. That to me seems ridiculous. But that is MY opinion. The actions of governments will kill more people and put more people into poverty that covid will

Plenty of under 60's have died sadly (when numbers get as big as they from this pandemic I'm not sure percentages mean quite as much), but that's not all is it? The effects of under 69's getting Covid include;  the debilitating effects of long Covid amongst under 60's, the impact on the economy of working age Covid sufferers taking time off sick, the cost to the state of medical treatment etc.

Plodder

A different view of things doesn't make someone stupid. I respect your choices, you should do the same.

If that was in response to my comment, I was not calling you as a person stupid. I share some of your concerns about the possibility that some actions taken by governments intended to counter Covid 19 may cause greater damage to people and society than Covid 19 can or could. I can understand the thinking behind a decision not to be vaccinated out of concern for possible side effects some time in the future, even if I arrive at a different decision.  But to question also (as you did) the effectiveness of the vaccines is stupid, as it is contrary to the volume of research, clinical trials and real world data which prove beyond question that vaccines work in terms of their intended purpose in combatting Covid 19.  The possible long term risks of vaccination is a separate question.  So it is fine to respect different choices about getting vaccinated, but stating that "it is still far too early to tell if the vaccine is working" is not about different choices - it is quite simply an incorrect, unfounded and misleading statement.  The vaccines used in the UK undeniably work.

blingo

I understand your pov Mr Plodder, but am not entirely convinced it is solely the vaccine. MOST people recover from covid anyway. It was like a mild cold with my daughter in law 27 but killed my aunty in three days 91.  What does not convinced me is that they are vaccinating entire populations for something that in excess of 97% of people infected recover from it, so should we look for herd immunity or inject with something that we can not be sure is 100% safe? J & J have just recalled a massive amount of doses, what if they had got through and had been used? Would people have had side effects or been lulled into a false sense of security believing that they had had a vaccine that worked? All in my view and everyone should do what they think is right.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: blingo on April 02, 2021, 12:18:59 PM
At no point anywhere have I even suggested that you should or should not take the vaccine Mr Mic. I do however have the right to express my point of view. Whether you agree with it or not, does not make me stupid does it?

I have never said your stupid Blingo.I was asking you were would we be if nobody took the vaccine?

Mod: Just fixing Quotes to make it read right

Southcoastffc

Quote from: blingo on April 02, 2021, 12:24:15 PM
I have declined it so far Mr Southcoast, and i'm going to be 65 in July  and I am insulin dependant. It is my right and I have (until now) still got my freedom of speech. I have no doubt though that eventually if I want to travel, that I will have to take it. If it is working then protect the vulnerable and let the rest live normal lives. What percentage of under 60s have died from the virus? The latest in Spain now is that you have to wear a mask on the beach. That to me seems ridiculous. But that is MY opinion. The actions of governments will kill more people and put more people into poverty that covid will
Thanks. Understood. The 'vulnerable ' is an interesting definition imposed, perhaps understandably by statistician, actuaries et al. I'm 70  fit as a flea,  and dont consider myself vulnerable in any sense. My sister, 6 years younger, unfit, obese, died of covid last autumn. Our separate life choices led us each to where we are/were.  That's freedom.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Logicalman

I understand that this is a sensitive subject to most people, but can I ask that members respect each others opinions please? Using words like stupid or silly, or such terms, with an obvious inference towards another members' viewpoint should be avoided if at all possible, as people can become defensive in openly expressing their own viewpoint to avoid such labelling. We can all disagree with each other without resorting to that.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: mrmicawbers on April 02, 2021, 02:36:53 PM
Quote from: blingo on April 02, 2021, 12:18:59 PM

I have never said your stupid Blingo.I was asking you were would we be if nobody took the vaccine?

Mod: Just fixing Quotes to make it read right

Cheers

blingo

I don't think that anyone is upset on here, just a few views posted. Good for the blood pressure Mr Logical lol