News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How Old Are You & What Was Your First Fulham game?

Started by White Noise, February 10, 2010, 12:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cebu

62 years old and the first match was against one of the Sheffield teams in 1962.

1961/62 season we beat the blades 5-2, a Maurice Cook hat trick, and a goal apiece for Leggat & Lowe

OR

1962/63 season a 4-1 win against their neighbours with a goal from Brown, and that man Cook again with another hat trick...

CorkCity

46 , my first game was 1967 , I was only 4 so I dont remember the opposition.
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

LBNo11

...how about some of the FOF members who have yet to post on here saying when their first game was, and break their message board 'virginity'..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Yarden

I`m 25 and first game was away to West Ham in January 2007. We got a point with a late goal from Christanval.

cebu

Quote from: cebu on February 13, 2010, 12:35:09 PM

1961/62 season we beat the blades 5-2, a Maurice Cook hat trick, and a goal apiece for Leggat & Lowe

OR

1962/63 season a 4-1 win against their neighbours with a goal from Brown, and that man Cook again with another hat trick...

Thanks mate - it was obviously Sheffield Utd!

Was the other game the first under floodlights? I'm sure I saw that too.

LBNo11

...yes cebu, the Sheffield Wednesday game, played appropriately on a wednesday, was the first game at Craven Cottage under floodlights.. :)

bazzamcb

i'm 16 and my first fulham game was home to crystal palace back in 2004.

You just missed out on 2004 bazzamcb by one day, our 3-1 win - two from Andy Cole and one from Radzinski sealed our win on January 1st 2005...

LBNo11

CorkedHat

69 and first Fulham game was in 1951 against Preston North End

...Ruddy part timers, I've a mind to put you on jankers for going AWOL!

PS: Good to have you back 'on board' ole fella...
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Tonywa

Quote from: Fernhurst on February 12, 2010, 11:39:55 PM
Thank you for the cover LB..... I'm sure the bloke on right in the away strip is Stanley Matthews. I was at his last ever game (?) at the Cottage when gentleman Jim Langley refused to tackle the old guy..... he was held in such high esteem ( and i think he was fifty!!)

Can someone tell me if this is s***e or has my selective memory kicked in.

I'm afraid your selective memory has kicked in here.  Stanley Matthews certainly played his last league game against Fulham at the incredible age of fifty and was indeed up against Jimmy Langley , but the game took place at Stoke's old ground The Victoria Grounds.  I remember that the weather in the few days before the match had been very cold and frosty and to ensure that the pitch was not frozen in those days before general undersoil the Stoke ground staff had covered it with straw.  Langley certainly let Matthews do pretty well as he wanted, but I seem to remember that the man of the match was one Rodney Marsh.  It was a long time ago and I was very young, but it's nice to be able to say that I was there.  Now how many of you were at Coventry on that freezing day many years ago to see Fulham win that much-coveted piece of silverware the Winston Churchill Memorial Cup?

TonyGilroy

I don't question any of that but I do remember regretting not going to see Matthews play for Stoke in a match at Craven Cottage that was heavily publicised as likely to be his last and selected because Jim Langley would be a "fair" opponent.

I can't now remember why I missed the match but I never got to see Matthews play and I certainly should have gone.

Tonywa

You really are getting a bit confused.  In your first post you claim to have been at the game, yet in your reply to me you say that you regret not having gone to it.

Tonywa

Re-reading the thread it's obvious that I'm getting confused as well.  I seem to have conflated two posts and mixed up your with that of Fernhurst.  Apologies.  I'll keep taking the tablets ;-)

TW

Fernhurst

Thank you TonyW, I obviously attended the game at the Cottage along with Tony Gilroy and there was much talk of Stan last game. I was very young but can still remember that shufflle and darting run Stan employed to get past our Jim.

Can't remember the score however but just the lovely feeling of being there at The Cottage with my older brother.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Fernhurst on February 17, 2010, 08:51:11 AM
Thank you TonyW, I obviously attended the game at the Cottage along with Tony Gilroy and there was much talk of Stan last game. I was very young but can still remember that shufflle and darting run Stan employed to get past our Jim.

Can't remember the score however but just the lovely feeling of being there at The Cottage with my older brother.

I wasn't there Gov.

Fernhurst

LBNo11

...it has been interesting to note that there is a good mix of, ahem, veteran fans pre late 70's mixed with those who started watching from 1997 onwards.

I suppose it is not surprising that from 1980 to 1997 we did not attract many fans and all we had left were the old stalwarts and those who had been brought up in Fulham families.

Anyone of you attracted to Fulham in those dark days..?

The Doctor

I would have gone to my first game around about February 1987.  But I have no memory of the game itself.  I've probably got the programme somewhere.

When I was a little'un I think Dad's one escape from us kids was the football. When I found out where he went every Saturday I pestered him mercilessly until, after a couple of years, he caved in.  He eased me in gently by taking me along and sitting in some of the (few, at the time) seats in the Riverside.  To this day, I suspect he didn't want me to hear some of the Hammersmith End language.  By the late '80s I was deemed old enough to learn some curse words and we moved to the Hammersmith Terrace.  By this time I was old enough to realise that a lot of the football was tripe, so I spent long periods playing with other kids on the earthen banks under the Hammersmith End.  At this time, my little brother started to come to games as well.  It didn't take long before he decided to follow Spurs!

os5889

Quote from: os5889 on February 11, 2010, 11:11:51 AM
23 years old and I believe it was Fulham Southampton at St Marys 3-3

Diop, Malbranque and Radzinski, 5th January 2005 - Ed

Wow, I just saw this whilst FoF browsing, thanks Ed!

ron

...and it got me reminiscing again too. Strange how certain games stand out in the memory when jogged by the programme covers (again well done LB.) the 2-2 draw with Man U when Nobby Stiles equalised is a case in point. I remember that it became all-ticket even for the terraces, and we had to go and queue for them at the previous home game.....for the inflated price of five shillings(25p) instead of the usual 4 (20p) payable at the turnstile. Outrageous prices! What would we have said if we'd have known then that cheapest admission 40 years on would have been(allowing for inflation) about 4 times more expensive? True, we now get a seat that we don't always want to sit in, but that's another issue entirely...