watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2020/21

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 20, 2020, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

Maybe the signing of new players depends on the sale of some of our existing players and I don´t imagine teams are queueing up to sign Seri, MLM, Abu, Odoi, Mitro, Cairney and a couple of others, we will have to manage with what we have got which won´t be enough to stay up.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

LC

If the club fail to bring in a striker this window it's a tragedy.

What would be worse if the board decide to remove Parker in hope someone new can get results- this would be a disaster and something I think could happen.

fulhamben

Quote from: LC on January 19, 2021, 06:43:19 PM

What would be worse if the board decide to remove Parker in hope someone new can get results- this would be a disaster and something I think could happen.
yes we might stop winning games and slip down the league into the relegation spots. Oh wait. If we don't bring in a striker then surely Parker has already proved that he wouldn't be good enough to keep us up. More importantly, if we don't bring in a striker, then we need to change tactics and formation to actually try and win some games. We've seen how bad draws are for us, we need some wins.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Bassey the warrior

If we don't sign a striker we will need to reintegrate Mitrovic and should also play Kebano more. Even if we do we need to get Lookman to get in the box more often as he has goals in him.

Twig

Quote from: fulhamben on January 19, 2021, 06:47:26 PM

yes we might stop winning games and slip down the league into the relegation spots. Oh wait. If we don't bring in a striker then surely Parker has already proved that he wouldn't be good enough to keep us up. More importantly, if we don't bring in a striker, then we need to change tactics and formation to actually try and win some games. We've seen how bad draws are for us, we need some wins.

For goodness sake give it a bloody rest.

HillingdonFFC

You've lost me, you saying we didn't try to win against Newcastle, Liverpool , Spurs or Chelsea?

Denzil Dexter

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on January 19, 2021, 07:17:33 PM

You've lost me, you saying we didn't try to win against Newcastle, Liverpool , Spurs or Chelsea?
We have nobody to score goals.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

jayffc

The apparent direct quote from Parker:

Transfers solving goals issues:

"It's a million dollar question. Time is running out, it's a difficult window. We all understand where we are light, in forward areas.

"Whatever the case is, we'll work relentlessly hard to improve our attacking play in those moments."

Ok so breathing out again, not saying it's not going to happen by any stretch, just being realistic...nothing particularly new, it's tough to sign the players we want right now as most of us realize, but he's by no means saying we're not bringing anyone in, and to me(along with the recent rumours around dembele, dia etc) it suggests we are trying to. The club knows what we need,  more of the same from his words recently for me just put differently. He wants signings and we're getting towards the end of the window.

Over to you Tony, make it happen.

BestOfBrede

Nowt new here just Ben spouting his Parker out stuff in a different way!
Scroll on by

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on January 19, 2021, 11:10:51 AM
Quote from: Deeping_white on January 19, 2021, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: PaulJ123 on January 19, 2021, 09:48:13 AM
Quote from: Craven Mad on January 19, 2021, 09:20:07 AM
Quote from: @jolslover on January 19, 2021, 08:30:57 AM
Quote from: PaulJ123 on January 18, 2021, 10:23:58 PM
Would prefer Gayle to Dia.

Would prefer a sub for Newcastle than the equal top scorer in Ligue 1 - equal with Mbappe

hahaahahahah

In fairness, not agreeing/disagreeing with either of you but just playing Devil's advocate, Dia has only been this good for one season and has no Prem experience, whereas Gayle is a known quantity and when in the right system has been effective.

Dia could be a star, but he could equally end up as this season's Mitroglou. At least Gayle would be able to step straight in and, if the worse we're to happen and we were relegated, would likely stay with us in the Championship.

Tbh, I think we need two attackers anyway, so I don't think the question of 'which one?' Is particularly helpful, but just saying that there are fair reasons for both...

Exactly this.

Rui Fonte was banging them in for one season for Braga and look how that turned out. People just get swept away with a signing from abroad but I'd rather someone who knows the league.

The most goals Gayle has ever managed in one PL season is 7, and he did that 7 years ago. The most he's scored in recent times is 6 in 17/18, and that was in 35 appearances. If he scores at the same rate he's managed over the last few seasons in the last 20 fixtures (should we buy him), he'll score about 4 goals, which isn't really very good considering he's on £50k a week and would probably want something in that region

But he will hit the ground running, which is what we need.
Don't get me wrong, I'd probably rather we took the risk on Dia, but even if he works out to be a 'good' signing there's a risk he follows the Anguissa route, ie looks like a £30m player and a good signing in two years' time, but in the short-term isn't adjusted to the PL and is less useful than Ollie Norwood

Why will he? Just because he's got prem experience doesn't mean he will hit the ground running, lots of times we've signed players domestically that have done well at other clubs but for whatever reason don't work out at Fulham
Likewise just because he's foreign doesn't mean he will take a while to adapt, look at Anderson
STH H3

sarnian

I see King not good enough to start for Bournemouth tonight.

SG

Quote from: Twig on January 19, 2021, 06:54:06 PM

My exact words last weekend 5 mins after the game when again we had this monotonous diatribe of wanting Scott gone

Twig

Quote from: SG on January 19, 2021, 07:56:15 PM
Quote from: Twig on January 19, 2021, 06:54:06 PM

My exact words last weekend 5 mins after the game when again we had this monotonous diatribe of wanting Scott gone

I probably shouldn't have posted it. Should have counted to twenty and taken deep breathes. Ben's entitled to his opinion, it just gets a bit repetitive.

Statto

Quote from: @jolslover on January 19, 2021, 07:44:14 PM
Quote from: Statto on January 19, 2021, 11:10:51 AM
Quote from: Deeping_white on January 19, 2021, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: PaulJ123 on January 19, 2021, 09:48:13 AM
Quote from: Craven Mad on January 19, 2021, 09:20:07 AM
Quote from: @jolslover on January 19, 2021, 08:30:57 AM
Quote from: PaulJ123 on January 18, 2021, 10:23:58 PM
Would prefer Gayle to Dia.

Would prefer a sub for Newcastle than the equal top scorer in Ligue 1 - equal with Mbappe

hahaahahahah

In fairness, not agreeing/disagreeing with either of you but just playing Devil's advocate, Dia has only been this good for one season and has no Prem experience, whereas Gayle is a known quantity and when in the right system has been effective.

Dia could be a star, but he could equally end up as this season's Mitroglou. At least Gayle would be able to step straight in and, if the worse we're to happen and we were relegated, would likely stay with us in the Championship.

Tbh, I think we need two attackers anyway, so I don't think the question of 'which one?' Is particularly helpful, but just saying that there are fair reasons for both...

Exactly this.

Rui Fonte was banging them in for one season for Braga and look how that turned out. People just get swept away with a signing from abroad but I'd rather someone who knows the league.

The most goals Gayle has ever managed in one PL season is 7, and he did that 7 years ago. The most he's scored in recent times is 6 in 17/18, and that was in 35 appearances. If he scores at the same rate he's managed over the last few seasons in the last 20 fixtures (should we buy him), he'll score about 4 goals, which isn't really very good considering he's on £50k a week and would probably want something in that region

But he will hit the ground running, which is what we need.
Don't get me wrong, I'd probably rather we took the risk on Dia, but even if he works out to be a 'good' signing there's a risk he follows the Anguissa route, ie looks like a £30m player and a good signing in two years' time, but in the short-term isn't adjusted to the PL and is less useful than Ollie Norwood

Why will he? Just because he's got prem experience doesn't mean he will hit the ground running, lots of times we've signed players domestically that have done well at other clubs but for whatever reason don't work out at Fulham
Likewise just because he's foreign doesn't mean he will take a while to adapt, look at Anderson

Quite right, life isn't binary and something like that isn't a foregone conclusion. The other day I saw a YouTube video of a big fat bloke beating a load of skinny blokes in a 50-yard sprint. But the content of that video doesn't change the fact that most fat people ain't that fast. Just like Anderson settling in quickly doesn't change the fact that a proven PL player is more likely to hit the ground running (all other things being equal) than a player from La Liga or Ligue 1.  Proven domestic players come at a premium for that reason. It ain't clever marketing, it's because they're more likely to hit the ground running than a 'bargain' from abroad.

To repeat, generally I'm happy for us to take chances on the likes of Anderson and Anguissa, but certain signings should be recognised as urgent and in those cases we should IMO just put value for money to one side, and go for a sure thing, as quickly as possible (paying whatever premium that triggers).

Statto

Quote from: JimOG on January 19, 2021, 05:58:02 PM
Quote from: Fulham Tup North on January 19, 2021, 05:37:02 PM
Quote from: tonywildman on January 19, 2021, 05:24:36 PM
On sky just now, Scott Parker said is unlikely we will bring in a striker this transfer window
Yes, just heard this.... either a smokescreen or target we wanted we have missed out on and so now looking doubtful..
All sounds a bit desperate....

The quote on Sky is 'time is not on our side' ...maybe the same difference?

Well we were never going to sign someone like Toney, King or Gayle because TK just doesn't operate like that. He's not just going to pay big money for a well-known domestic player. He has to prove his scouting prowess, business acumen and the value of his stats. So no doubt we're in discussions with some Championship Manager player at Benfica, Fiorentina, Lyon or somewhere like that, trying to persuade the club to accept £15m instead of £25m and/or trying to get the player to join us instead of Milan, Everton or Real Madrid. And Parker is just saying what the rest of us would if we had visibility of the situation - it probably won't even come off, and even if it does, it won't be until the last moment.

Friendsoffulham

hopper

Quote from: Statto on January 19, 2021, 08:07:03 PM
Quote from: JimOG on January 19, 2021, 05:58:02 PM
Quote from: Fulham Tup North on January 19, 2021, 05:37:02 PM
Quote from: tonywildman on January 19, 2021, 05:24:36 PM
On sky just now, Scott Parker said is unlikely we will bring in a striker this transfer window
Yes, just heard this.... either a smokescreen or target we wanted we have missed out on and so now looking doubtful..
All sounds a bit desperate....

The quote on Sky is 'time is not on our side' ...maybe the same difference?

Well we were never going to sign someone like Toney, King or Gayle because TK just doesn't operate like that. He's not just going to pay big money for a well-known domestic player. He has to prove his scouting prowess, business acumen and the value of his stats. So no doubt we're in discussions with some Championship Manager player at Benfica, Fiorentina, Lyon or somewhere like that, trying to persuade the club to accept £15m instead of £25m and/or trying to get the player to join us instead of Milan, Everton or Real Madrid. And Parker is just saying what the rest of us would if we had visibility of the situation - it probably won't even come off, and even if it does, it won't be until the last moment.

This is fairly on point, but is also worth the caveat that this approach also pulled off signings of Tete, Areola and Andersen. Mitrovic was also a 11th hour signing. Frustrating as this is, hopefully he will be able to pull something off. WBA were decisive bringing Snodgrass in and he's already helped them.

Steven Ageroad

Could we please have some rumours not just Chairman FulhamBen keeping on about how useless Parker is.

There aren't  any rumours going around at the moment, probably due to it being the January transfer window and a strange season, therefore why can't we just keep this to transfer rumours rather the the why's and wherefore's of every player quoted, it would take up a lot less pages.

Just had a thought, why don't we give Ben his own topic board therefore we won't have to trawl through his cr@p comments every day!!

LC

If you can't see the huge improvements we've made over the last 8 games then I cannot help you. Changing the manager now would guarantee our regulation.
If we don't sign a striker, which we desperately need, it's not a failure of the manager- I don't want to criticise the DoF as I think he's committed to the club and passionate, but it would be a grave mistake not to bring one or two forwards in this window. I don't want to speak for others but I think this is a generally accepted view

fulhamben

Quote from: LC on January 19, 2021, 08:57:14 PM

If you can't see the huge improvements we've made over the last 8 games then I cannot help you. Changing the manager now would guarantee our regulation.
If we don't sign a striker, which we desperately need, it's not a failure of the manager- I don't want to criticise the DoF as I think he's committed to the club and passionate, but it would be a grave mistake not to bring one or two forwards in this window. I don't want to speak for others but I think this is a generally accepted view
why will it be a grave mistake to not bring in two forwards in this window? Surely Parker is doing a good enough job as you have said , to keep us up without them.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.