more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2020/21

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 20, 2020, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denzil Dexter

Quote from: Tabby on January 18, 2021, 07:42:03 PM
Remember arguing for Toney in the summer, but I don't think there is any way that Brentford will be selling their standout attacking player who has scored almost half of their goals halfway through a season where they're aiming for promotion.
We desperately needed a forward. The stat machine obviously said no.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Slaphead in Qatar

Gayle not even in squad today. Strange for a team struggling to score goals. He must be off to a new club.

Tabby

Quote from: Denzil Dexter on January 18, 2021, 10:22:55 PM
Quote from: Tabby on January 18, 2021, 07:42:03 PM
Remember arguing for Toney in the summer, but I don't think there is any way that Brentford will be selling their standout attacking player who has scored almost half of their goals halfway through a season where they're aiming for promotion.
We desperately needed a forward. The stat machine obviously said no.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

IIRC Brentford were willing to pay more in wages and offer guaranteed playing time from the reports at the time.

There are other forwards out there, hopefully we'll get one in.

jayffc

Gayle a great championship striker but never scored more than 6 in a premier league season. Not for me, wanted him a couple seasons back when we were in the chamionship but not now.
Would only be interested if he was brought in as a second option to the main target (Dembele type or taking a step down someone like Dia) , with the view that, should we go down, we'd have a top championship level striker in place. Could see the logic then to a point, and he has experience on the wing too...but at 31 already, I think I'd still be a little underwhelmed.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: PaulJ123 on January 18, 2021, 10:23:58 PM
Would prefer Gayle.

Newcastle is the equal fourth most likely team to be relegated and they want to sell Gayle to the 3rd most likely team to get relegated. HELP! If they want to sell him, then I defiantely don't want to buy him.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: jayffc on January 19, 2021, 01:45:48 AM
Gayle a great championship striker but never scored more than 6 in a premier league season. Not for me, wanted him a couple seasons back when we were in the chamionship but not now.
Would only be interested if he was brought in as a second option to the main target (Dembele type or taking a step down someone like Dia) , with the view that, should we go down, we'd have a top championship level striker in place. Could see the logic then to a point, and he has experience on the wing too...but at 31 already, I think I'd still be a little underwhelmed.

👆Exactly  that

@jolslover

Would prefer Gayle to Dia.

Would prefer a sub for Newcastle than the equal top scorer in Ligue 1 - equal with Mbappe

hahaahahahah
STH H3

Craven Mad

Quote from: @jolslover on January 19, 2021, 08:30:57 AM

Would prefer a sub for Newcastle than the equal top scorer in Ligue 1 - equal with Mbappe

hahaahahahah

In fairness, not agreeing/disagreeing with either of you but just playing Devil's advocate, Dia has only been this good for one season and has no Prem experience, whereas Gayle is a known quantity and when in the right system has been effective.

Dia could be a star, but he could equally end up as this season's Mitroglou. At least Gayle would be able to step straight in and, if the worse we're to happen and we were relegated, would likely stay with us in the Championship.

Tbh, I think we need two attackers anyway, so I don't think the question of 'which one?' Is particularly helpful, but just saying that there are fair reasons for both...

PaulJ123

Quote from: Craven Mad on January 19, 2021, 09:20:07 AM

hahaahahahah

In fairness, not agreeing/disagreeing with either of you but just playing Devil's advocate, Dia has only been this good for one season and has no Prem experience, whereas Gayle is a known quantity and when in the right system has been effective.

Dia could be a star, but he could equally end up as this season's Mitroglou. At least Gayle would be able to step straight in and, if the worse we're to happen and we were relegated, would likely stay with us in the Championship.

Tbh, I think we need two attackers anyway, so I don't think the question of 'which one?' Is particularly helpful, but just saying that there are fair reasons for both...

Exactly this.

Rui Fonte was banging them in for one season for Braga and look how that turned out. People just get swept away with a signing from abroad but I'd rather someone who knows the league.

filham

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on January 18, 2021, 10:32:18 PM
Gayle not even in squad today. Strange for a team struggling to score goals. He must be off to a new club.
Gayle could be bad in training and Newcastle are looking to see the back of him. there are many a pitfall out there for us to avoid, this could be one of them.

Deeping_white

Quote from: PaulJ123 on January 19, 2021, 09:48:13 AM

hahaahahahah

Exactly this.

Rui Fonte was banging them in for one season for Braga and look how that turned out. People just get swept away with a signing from abroad but I'd rather someone who knows the league.

The most goals Gayle has ever managed in one PL season is 7, and he did that 7 years ago. The most he's scored in recent times is 6 in 17/18, and that was in 35 appearances. If he scores at the same rate he's managed over the last few seasons in the last 20 fixtures (should we buy him), he'll score about 4 goals, which isn't really very good considering he's on £50k a week and would probably want something in that region

jayffc

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 19, 2021, 09:55:56 AM

hahaahahahah

Exactly this.

The most goals Gayle has ever managed in one PL season is 7, and he did that 7 years ago. The most he's scored in recent times is 6 in 17/18, and that was in 35 appearances. If he scores at the same rate he's managed over the last few seasons in the last 20 fixtures (should we buy him), he'll score about 4 goals, which isn't really very good considering he's on £50k a week and would probably want something in that region

Cheers, I stand corrected the 7 goal season was so far back I must have missed it!
Either way, as you say-if true to premier league form - 3-4 goals in half a season is nowhere close to what we need.

Statto

hahaahahahah

Exactly this.

But he will hit the ground running, which is what we need.
Don't get me wrong, I'd probably rather we took the risk on Dia, but even if he works out to be a 'good' signing there's a risk he follows the Anguissa route, ie looks like a £30m player and a good signing in two years' time, but in the short-term isn't adjusted to the PL and is less useful than Ollie Norwood

FFC1987

Genuine question regarding Gayle, has anyone watched him and thought 'this guy can play?' because I must of watched him a fair few times now and just been completely underwhelmed by him. I think the last time I saw him look remotely interesting as a prospect was when Newcastle were in championship and him and Shelvey were ruining championship sides.

I'm not writing him off. if he comes, ill support him but I'm just not sure he's what we need. We don't just need a finisher we need someone who can work channels when needed, feed off scraps at times but who can also finish. I'm not sure Gayle is physical enough for what we need.

jayffc

Quote from: Statto on January 19, 2021, 11:10:51 AM

hahaahahahah

Exactly this.

Don't get me wrong, I'd probably rather we took the risk on Dia, but even if he works out to be a 'good' signing there's a risk he follows the Anguissa route, ie looks like a £30m player and a good signing in two years' time, but in the short-term isn't adjusted to the PL and is less useful than Ollie Norwood

There is no guarantee he'll hit the ground running, his form is way off at the moment. He might, but there's not a huge amount of evidence to suggest it's a formality at this level. There's still plenty of risk based on that evidence.

There is always a risk involved in any transfer hitting the ground running, it is possible they will, it is possible they won't. We can't talk with such certainty regarding either option as if it is fact rather than opinion

JimOG

Quote from: jayffc on January 19, 2021, 03:16:17 PM
Quote from: Statto on January 19, 2021, 11:10:51 AM

hahaahahahah

Exactly this.

There is no guarantee he'll hit the ground running, his form is way off at the moment. He might, but there's not a huge amount of evidence to suggest it's a formality at this level. There's still plenty of risk based on that evidence.

There is always a risk involved in any transfer hitting the ground running, it is possible they will, it is possible they won't. We can't talk with such certainty regarding either option as if it is fact rather than opinion

We don't know FFC's FFP position but I would hope we'll bring in two players.  When I looked at the bench on Saturday it showed how threadbare we are at Prem standard...whilst Chelsea ran Hudson Odoi Abrahams and Werner - all £130 million of them

Jim©

Quote from: JimOG on January 19, 2021, 03:24:33 PM

We don't know FFC's FFP position but I would hope we'll bring in two players.  When I looked at the bench on Saturday it showed how threadbare we are at Prem standard...whilst Chelsea ran Hudson Odoi Abrahams and Werner - all £130 million of them

And Havertz, Kepa, Palmieri, Zouma etc nearly another quarter of a £billion nearly on that lot if you add Kante in.