Main Menu

The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2020/21

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 20, 2020, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on January 14, 2021, 11:27:03 AM
Quote from: FFC1987 on January 14, 2021, 10:34:11 AM
Quote from: colinwhite on January 14, 2021, 09:52:55 AM
My point was ,can we find someone better than what we have on a low budget or loan deal? doubtful without spending big money.

Not necessarily. Tosin, £1.5m, Anderson, £2m, Anderson, Areola, Lookman, Lemina and RLC all on loans that I don't think have broken the bank for us too badly. Players and deals are out there. Just finding the right player at the right price is the tricky bit.....

Think Tosin was about £9m, Lemina seems to have fitness issues preventing him from consistently starting, and the others would all cost £20m-£30m to buy. I'm inclined to agree with Colin...

Unless I'm missing something, Tosin was a £1.5m fee to Man City. All the others are loans so a transfer fee is irrelevant as we can still loan and add quality which was my point. We don't need to break the bank. I don't think suggesting Lemina has fitness issues is entirely fair as he got a knock and once back, played then got Covid. We could break the bank, but I don't think that's necessarily our only option.

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 14, 2021, 11:31:58 AM
My point was ,can we find someone better than what we have on a low budget or loan deal? doubtful without spending big money.

Not necessarily. Tosin, £1.5m, Anderson, £2m, Anderson, Areola, Lookman, Lemina and RLC all on loans that I don't think have broken the bank for us too badly. Players and deals are out there. Just finding the right player at the right price is the tricky bit.....

Think Tosin was about £9m, Lemina seems to have fitness issues preventing him from consistently starting, and the others would all cost £20m-£30m to buy. I'm inclined to agree with Colin...

Unless I'm missing something, Tosin was a £1.5m fee to Man City. All the others are loans so a transfer fee is irrelevant as we can still loan and add quality which was my point. We don't need to break the bank. I don't think suggesting Lemina has fitness issues is entirely fair as he got a knock and once back, played then got Covid. We could break the bank, but I don't think that's necessarily our only option.

Tosin was reported to be £1.5m initially but £8-9m with add-ons which I'm guessing will materialise. Lemina has had 3 injuries in the 4 months we've had him - yes that's including Covid but I don't think its a coincidence he was cheap. And even if Tosin and Lemina were bargains the average fee to buy the players you mention would still be about £20m. So yes it's possible to get a player for less but clearly not likely, and not something you can reasonably expect or rely on. And yes another loan is theoretically an option but do we have the free slot?

twang

Quote from: Statto on January 14, 2021, 11:37:51 AM

Tosin was reported to be £1.5m initially but £8-9m with add-ons which I'm guessing will materialise. Lemina has had 3 injuries in the 4 months we've had him - yes that's including Covid but I don't think its a coincidence he was cheap. And even if Tosin and Lemina were bargains the average fee to buy the players you mention would still be about £20m. So yes it's possible to get a player for less but clearly not likely, and not something you can reasonably expect or rely on. And yes another loan is theoretically an option but do we have the free slot?

Local source Manchester Evening News reported the following:
M.E.N. Sport understands that City will receive up to £2million for the transfer and have inserted a 20 per cent sell-on fee in the deal.

FFC1987

I feel like theres some straws and clutching here if we using unmaterialised add ons to say how much a player may or may not be. Lemina even with lack of playing time has added points and quality to the squad at a small fee so he's definitely a bargain. Anderson, Tosin and Robinson also all bargains. They can be found and I stick by that point.

Deeping_white

Apparently Man U want to sell Andreas Pereira - might be a good about for a RW who can also play as a CAM if needed, he's certainly got a bit of creative flair about him

PaulJ123

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 14, 2021, 12:28:09 PM
Apparently Man U want to sell Andreas Pereira - might be a good about for a RW who can also play as a CAM if needed, he's certainly got a bit of creative flair about him

I'd prefer Lingard over Pereira and I don't particularly want Lingard.

JimOG

Quote from: PaulJ123 on January 14, 2021, 12:32:12 PM

We need to concentrate resources on that striker position. Get that right & I believe we will be higher on the table than Newcastle

Bronaldinho

No to both! Think both of them are over-rated and how they are at United still is beyond me.

We need a forward. My wishlist:

Onauchu - 6'7, mobile, proven scorer in Europe. Would give us the option with the ball in the box and happy to stretch defensives.
Adam Armstrong - if we want to go with a more poacher type forward.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

Bronaldinho

Quote from: colinwhite on January 14, 2021, 07:35:21 AM
Just consider the following.  Cavaliero is a new signing and makes his debut with that performance last night. Everyone would be raving about us finding a quick skillful forward whofits the bill!!
The question is if we can find anyone better than what we already have,that will improve the team. If Cavaleiro keeps up that level of performance and RLC continues the progress he showed last night its going to be hard to get into that team.

Cav has massively improved since playing as a striker. Having to grow into the role, of course.

But you can see his confidence is rising and he's playing the role more naturally.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

rebel

Quote from: JimOG on January 14, 2021, 01:47:16 PM

We need to concentrate resources on that striker position. Get that right & I believe we will be higher on the table than Newcastle
Agree 100%.

rebel

Quote from: Bronaldinho on January 14, 2021, 02:00:40 PM
Quote from: colinwhite on January 14, 2021, 07:35:21 AM
Just consider the following.  Cavaliero is a new signing and makes his debut with that performance last night. Everyone would be raving about us finding a quick skillful forward whofits the bill!!
The question is if we can find anyone better than what we already have,that will improve the team. If Cavaleiro keeps up that level of performance and RLC continues the progress he showed last night its going to be hard to get into that team.

Cav has massively improved since playing as a striker. Having to grow into the role, of course.

But you can see his confidence is rising and he's playing the role more naturally.

First goal from open play from the last 34 matches. I assume he was bought to add some goals.

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 14, 2021, 12:10:54 PM

I feel like theres some straws and clutching here if we using unmaterialised add ons to say how much a player may or may not be. Lemina even with lack of playing time has added points and quality to the squad at a small fee so he's definitely a bargain. Anderson, Tosin and Robinson also all bargains. They can be found and I stick by that point.

Yep I have to hold my hands up there and admit i was clutching at straws just because I have some personal interest in proving you wrong. The various reports saying the deal for Tosin was worth £8m were wrong, and actually Man City gave us a proven Championship player for about 20% of his market value purely because they were feeling generous. Similarly Southampton let us have Lemina for a third of what they paid Juventus for him because they just don't care about money. We could probably buy the other three you mention, Areola, Lookman and Anderson, for £5m each as well. This whole idea that a good PL forward costs £20-30m is a conspiracy and deals like West Ham paying that for Benrahma are just sham transfers designed to keep up the illusion. In a couple of weeks we'll announce the signing of Salah from Liverpool for £500 and a box of tracksuits. COYW!!!

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Statto on January 14, 2021, 02:47:03 PM

Yep I have to hold my hands up there and admit i was clutching at straws just because I have some personal interest in proving you wrong. The various reports saying the deal for Tosin was worth £8m were wrong, and actually Man City gave us a proven Championship player for about 20% of his market value purely because they were feeling generous. Similarly Southampton let us have Lemina for a third of what they paid Juventus for him because they just don't care about money. We could probably buy the other three you mention, Areola, Lookman and Anderson, for £5m each as well. This whole idea that a good PL forward costs £20-30m is a conspiracy and deals like West Ham paying that for Benrahma are just sham transfers designed to keep up the illusion. In a couple of weeks we'll announce the signing of Salah from Liverpool for £500 and a box of tracksuits. COYW!!!
Do I sense a touch of sarcasm here STATTO?? 🤪⚽️⚽️
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

mrmicawbers

A Bobby Zamora type player would be handy.Not that prolific but can add to the goal tally while bringing others into play also.Could Mitro do it ?He's a pretty good footballer not sure he would relish that role.

AnOldBrownie

I've seen him play 12-15 games. -

No. no. no. no. no.

colinwhite

To get someone better than cavaleiro,lookman ,Reid and RLC is going to cost alot of dosh !

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on January 14, 2021, 02:47:03 PM

Probably one of your most ridiculous posts and you've set the bar high there, so congrats.

FFC1987

Quote from: colinwhite on January 14, 2021, 06:50:09 PM
To get someone better than cavaleiro,lookman ,Reid and RLC is going to cost alot of dosh !

Potentially, but we could also find a gem in the market like the examples I raised previously. I also don't think it's necessarily about finding a proven EPL goal scorer or even a name with a proven record or even someone 'better' than the players you mentioned. We still have a decent squad and one that has proven to danger teams. We really need a striker who will work the line and defend from the front with an eye for goal who is relatively pacey. Lots of young players exhibit these traits. We could go all out and find a Wilson type striker but as you say, that will be expensive. I just think this team has enough quality that finding a pacey hard working striker might not be so expensive. We'll see I guess.

AnOldBrownie

When we got Babel two years ago no one thought he would come good for us. Hopefully we can find another gem.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

rebel

Quote from: mrmicawbers on January 14, 2021, 04:50:24 PM

A Bobby Zamora type player would be handy.Not that prolific but can add to the goal tally while bringing others into play also.Could Mitro do it ?He's a pretty good footballer not sure he would relish that role.

One of my favourite Fulham players, a really gifted player, underrated, should and could have done much better. Who knows how his international career would have gone if he hadn't been cynically tacked by Karl Henry, Wolves. I know one of the England / Assistant coaches rated him very highly.