https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2020/21

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 20, 2020, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 14, 2021, 07:12:29 PM
Quote from: colinwhite on January 14, 2021, 06:50:09 PM
To get someone better than cavaleiro,lookman ,Reid and RLC is going to cost alot of dosh !

Potentially, but we could also find a gem in the market like the examples I raised previously.

You didn't mention examples (plural)

Being generous, Tosin is one example, although £8m so arguably not that cheap anyway. Plus that's for a defender, which is generally a cheaper position to fill than CF.

Lookman, Anderson and Areola are loans. We can't have any more loans unless we're going to drop one of the others from the matchday squad every week.

Lemina is also a loan, and even to the extent his option price is low, it's because he's generally only available half the time, which isn't really a solution.

Maybe you can think of some other quality, reliable, fit forwards who we can get on a permanent transfer for a very low fee but I suspect it will involve "some straws and clutching"

rebel

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 14, 2021, 07:22:53 PM
When we got Babel two years ago no one thought he would come good for us. Hopefully we can find another gem.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

It might still happen.

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on January 14, 2021, 07:30:27 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on January 14, 2021, 07:12:29 PM
To get someone better than cavaleiro,lookman ,Reid and RLC is going to cost alot of dosh !

Potentially, but we could also find a gem in the market like the examples I raised previously.

You didn't mention examples (plural)

Being generous, Tosin is one example, although £8m so arguably not that cheap anyway. Plus that's for a defender, which is generally a cheaper position to fill than CF.

Lookman, Anderson and Areola are loans. We can't have any more loans unless we're going to drop one of the others from the matchday squad every week.

Lemina is also a loan, and even to the extent his option price is low, it's because he's generally only available half the time, which isn't really a solution.

Maybe you can think of some other quality, reliable, fit forwards who we can get on a permanent transfer for a very low fee but I suspect it will involve "some straws and clutching"

Looking at football index and transfermarket.com, both say Tosin was signed for £1.49m. Transfermarket also suggests his worth is still under 5m and never pushed past 4.5m when at City. So I'd suggest your valuation, even pushing up with unmaterialised bonuses is inaccurate. Happy to agree to disagree here if you still maintain he's circa 5m as I don't know your sources for it but I find mine fairly accurate.

We could easily juggle the additional loan or even buy out say Lemina if the price of £5m (i've seen it as high as £10m also) is accurate and free up a slot like we have history of doing. I'd be over the moon if we took that option.

We're currently obviously poor for depth in that position and some of the players mentioned by Colin about who we'd need to pay over the odds for, were generally not strikers. Wingers or false no.9's. So it's essential we find a fit, hard working striker. It's obviously not a simple task and our options might well be limited but we've pulled off transfers like this before so I wouldn't be surprised if a Kamara esque from the French league comes in. I do think it'll be from a foreign league unless, we are prepared to overspend as you and Colin have pointed out. I don't think we will however hence me saying, there's probably a gem in the rough out there. I don't know who that is, its not my job to, but we also never realised how many decent CB's were available when many speculated there were none....then Tosin and Anderson came in at decent prices so we'll just have to see.

WolverineFFC

You are right. I think getting someone better than Kebano and Kamara may be more realistic. It may only be 3 or 4 goals that take the club from relegation to 16th or 17th place.

Take yesterday for example. Does Fulham pull off a late goal if someone more technically gifted comes on as an impact sub instead of Kamara? Lookman is in if he figures out how to get the ball on his left foot and clips it forward.

Fine margins as the manager says.

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 14, 2021, 07:41:40 PM
Looking at football index and transfermarket.com, both say Tosin was signed for £1.49m. Transfermarket also suggests his worth is still under 5m and never pushed past 4.5m when at City. So I'd suggest your valuation, even pushing up with unmaterialised bonuses is inaccurate. Happy to agree to disagree here if you still maintain he's circa 5m as I don't know your sources for it but I find mine fairly accurate.

We could easily juggle the additional loan or even buy out say Lemina if the price of £5m (i've seen it as high as £10m also) is accurate and free up a slot like we have history of doing. I'd be over the moon if we took that option.

We're currently obviously poor for depth in that position and some of the players mentioned by Colin about who we'd need to pay over the odds for, were generally not strikers. Wingers or false no.9's. So it's essential we find a fit, hard working striker. It's obviously not a simple task and our options might well be limited but we've pulled off transfers like this before so I wouldn't be surprised if a Kamara esque from the French league comes in. I do think it'll be from a foreign league unless, we are prepared to overspend as you and Colin have pointed out. I don't think we will however hence me saying, there's probably a gem in the rough out there. I don't know who that is, its not my job to, but we also never realised how many decent CB's were available when many speculated there were none....then Tosin and Anderson came in at decent prices so we'll just have to see.

I generally find transfermarkt accurate regarding fees paid but I think in relation to Tosin, it's clear from press reports and common sense that we didn't get him for £1.5m and they're just quoting the upfront component of a structured deal.

Transfermarkt is *not* accurate regarding player valuations. It has Anderson and Lookman down as £12m and £9m, for example, which is about a third of what theyd probably cost. I don't know why it even bothers with that feature actually.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post FWIW but it would have been better if you'd said that up the thread rather than malkin condescending comments about straws and clutching.

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on January 14, 2021, 07:51:03 PM

I generally find transfermarkt accurate regarding fees paid but I think in relation to Tosin, it's clear from press reports and common sense that we didn't get him for £1.5m and they're just quoting the upfront component of a structured deal.

Transfermarkt is *not* accurate regarding player valuations. It has Anderson and Lookman down as £12m and £9m, for example, which is about a third of what theyd probably cost. I don't know why it even bothers with that feature actually.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post FWIW but it would have been better if you'd said that up the thread rather than malkin condescending comments about straws and clutching.

True, apologies. Wasn't meant as snark. Was just quickly typing out as I was cooking for the family!

Jim©

Surely you don't think Anderson and lookman would cost £36m and £27m respectively? I'd love to be in on the negotiation: "so you bought them for £25m and £20m respectively, now you think they've gone up in value by a third despite your manager choosing not to play them?!

Mentioned it before but two players that may be possible are boulaye dia from reims or giakoumakis from venlo in Holland (16 in 16). Superb according to Dutch cousin. Even though signed last summer may listen to a good offer.

Statto

Quote from: Jim© on January 14, 2021, 08:03:30 PM
Surely you don't think Anderson and lookman would cost £36m and £27m respectively? I'd love to be in on the negotiation: "so you bought them for £25m and £20m respectively, now you think they've gone up in value by a third despite your manager choosing not to play them?!

I certainly don't think the two of them having great seasons in the most difficult league in the world will cause their value to drop. I'm not sure anyone can say with any certainty what they'll cost. Ironically on another thread today another poster gsd said Areola, Anderson and Lookman will cost £100m and I've argued that I don't think it will be that much. But I'd certainly expect Anderson and Lookman, as a pair, to cost £40-60m rather than £21m, yes. If you think you can get Lookman for £9m then you should get on the blower to TK.

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on January 14, 2021, 08:20:26 PM
Quote from: Jim© on January 14, 2021, 08:03:30 PM

I certainly don't think the two of them having great seasons in the most difficult league in the world will cause their value to drop. I'm not sure anyone can say with any certainty what they'll cost. Ironically on another thread today another poster gsd said Areola, Anderson and Lookman will cost £100m and I've argued that I don't think it will be that much. But I'd certainly expect Anderson and Lookman, as a pair, to cost £40-60m rather than £21m, yes. If you think you can get Lookman for £9m then you should get on the blower to TK.

It's a difficult one and one I don't know the answer too. I'd of though valuation has probably dropped to the club even in this league as they're surplus to requirement (currently anyway) so they might want off considering they'll likely lose money on initial fee. People have mentioned it previously, but I do think the market has depreciated in total compared to how excessive it was prior to Covid. You only have to look at the Haller transfer at Westham. He's been playing and scoring a few goals but they wanted out so accepted half of 40m fee! Something sky sports suggested was 'courageous'. But I'd still expect them to be expensive but maybe not quite what they paid. Might be wrong.

filham

The real money value of anything, including footballers is simply what someone is prepared to pay.
So we have to really widen our search and find that gem that no one else has noticed. time we unearthed another Ivor.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: filham on January 14, 2021, 08:40:01 PM
The real money value of anything, including footballers is simply what someone is prepared to pay.
So we have to really widen our search and find that gem that no one else has noticed. time we unearthed another Ivor.

Yessir, you nailed it, it's called "anchoring"
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Asotosyios

From SkySports Transfer Centre:

BENFICA MAY TURN TO SERI

Benfica will consider a move for Fulham's Jean Michael Seri if they fail to agree a deal for top target William Carvalho.

The Portuguese club are in talks with Real Betis to bring Carvalho back to Portugal, but Seri is another player they like in his position and is said to be a backup option.

Seri has been in talks over a move to Galatasaray, where he spent the 2019-20 season on loan, but the clubs have reached an obstacle in negotiations.

Discussions have been over a loan with an option to buy, but Fulham are said to want a loan fee and Galatasaray are reluctant to pay one.

Seri, who was not named in Fulham's squad for the Premier League season, has also been hoping for a club in France to come in for him.

But the ongoing financial problems in French football have made it difficult for a club to sign him.

jayffc

Quote from: Asotosyios on January 14, 2021, 09:48:08 PM

BENFICA MAY TURN TO SERI

Benfica will consider a move for Fulham's Jean Michael Seri if they fail to agree a deal for top target William Carvalho.

The Portuguese club are in talks with Real Betis to bring Carvalho back to Portugal, but Seri is another player they like in his position and is said to be a backup option.

Seri has been in talks over a move to Galatasaray, where he spent the 2019-20 season on loan, but the clubs have reached an obstacle in negotiations.

Discussions have been over a loan with an option to buy, but Fulham are said to want a loan fee and Galatasaray are reluctant to pay one.

Seri, who was not named in Fulham's squad for the Premier League season, has also been hoping for a club in France to come in for him.

But the ongoing financial problems in French football have made it difficult for a club to sign him.

Presumably if he goes to a french team were less likely to get a good fee for him if all this talk of no money there is true...soooo come on Benfica- show us the Money!

The Rational Fan

The media reports are that Tosin's transfer fee is very low around £1.5m for a player of his quality and his wages at £3.5m per year are very high for an unproven player; but as a combination, they seem about right especially if some performance bonuses have also been agreed.

I don't know why people dispute Tosin's transfer fee as very low, when his wages are rumoured to be about the same as Anguissa's and Mitrovic's etc. Likewise, if you dispute that Tosin's wages are as high as reported, then look no further than his very low transfer fee.

Both his transfer fee and wages make sense together, it seems Pep G feel in love with him and offered him some high wages, but never really proved good enough for ManCity and got him off the books.

DevonFFC

Quote from: jayffc on January 14, 2021, 11:02:02 PM

BENFICA MAY TURN TO SERI

Presumably if he goes to a french team were less likely to get a good fee for him if all this talk of no money there is true...soooo come on Benfica- show us the Money!

If the french league is so skint, should we not be trying to pick up some bargains?

jayffc

Quote from: DevonFFC on January 14, 2021, 11:27:28 PM
Quote from: jayffc on January 14, 2021, 11:02:02 PM

BENFICA MAY TURN TO SERI

If the french league is so skint, should we not be trying to pick up some bargains?

Us and everyone else did imagine!

Nero

Tosin was nearing the end of his contract i believe it was 1.5m with a 20% sell on clause

Hatch007

Quote from: Bronaldinho on January 14, 2021, 01:59:29 PM

No to both! Think both of them are over-rated and how they are at United still is beyond me.

We need a forward. My wishlist:

Onauchu - 6'7, mobile, proven scorer in Europe. Would give us the option with the ball in the box and happy to stretch defensives.
Adam Armstrong - if we want to go with a more poacher type forward.

Onuachu looks like a class act (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VaMGd2lgs5A) but with 19 goals in 19 games this season he's sadly, hardly under the radar. Loads of clubs must be looking at him and when's the last time Fulham signed an obvious target aside from Mitro. Would love him at FFC but can't imagine he'd be affordable, nor up for joining a club in a relegation fight

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 14, 2021, 11:26:34 PM
The media reports are that Tosin's transfer fee is very low around £1.5m

Here are media reports that it was £8m

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12850666/fulham-adarabioyo-transfer-man-city/
https://www.90min.com/posts/fulham-sign-tosin-adarabioyo-man-city-permanent-deal
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8805723/Fulham-pushing-sign-Chelsea-midfielder-Ruben-Loftus-Cheek-loan.html

Ultimately we'll never know and people can believe what they want. What's irrefutable is that he'd just had a good season with Blackburn, performing around the same standard (statistically) as Hector was performing for us, back at the time we were all raving about Hector being an excellent Championship defender and able to make the step up to the PL. So clearly his market value was much higher than £1.5m, much more like £8m, and I find it hard to believe Man City would have accepted such a low bid as £1.5m, even if he did only have one year on his contract. It's not like a Fredericks situation where they wouldn't have been able to match whatever wages we were offering him and persuade him to renew.

LC

I don't think it particularly matters how much we paid, if we paid £1.5m then we got a bargain, if we paid £8m we still got a margin in today's market. He's playing well and he's young so let's leave it at that.

What we need is a striker and maybe another wide forward if we can find one then we're all set