watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tosh Chamberlain RIP

Started by f321ffc, January 10, 2021, 11:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

Oh my word , what a sad loss to not only Fulham but to me for a special reason. I lived opposite  a family  in Southfields. Most Sunday´s Tosh & sometimes The Maestro visited for afternoon tea. I was often invited for tea but was often tongue tied.
My everlasting memory was when Tosh was dithering with a throw in in front of the enclosure. Pensioners were allowed to sit on benches in front of the railings. One old boy got up, took the ball from Tosh & threw it to a Fulham player. The ref laughed & allowed play to go on. One of the biggest roars of all time.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Fulham Tup North

9739.gif  Very sad news....  RIP Tosh.
Thoughts are with your family and friends  ⚽️⚽️
My Dad loved watching him play .....
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

FFC365

Tosh was truly a Fulham legend, I was in Ruislip a few years back, and Tosh and Mark Lazarus (ex QPR) saw my FFC badge and came over and spoke to me!!!! His love of our club was so apparent and it was a joy to have watched him play. It is true that Johnny Haynes only came to Fulham because of him. RIP

Beamer

Sad news, he lived around the corner from us and was a good mate of my dad's. Rarely without a smile and a story. Fulham borough and club have truly lost one of their own.

SG

Quote from: grandad on January 10, 2021, 04:04:19 PM
Oh my word , what a sad loss to not only Fulham but to me for a special reason. I lived opposite  a family  in Southfields. Most Sunday´s Tosh & sometimes The Maestro visited for afternoon tea. I was often invited for tea but was often tongue tied.
My everlasting memory was when Tosh was dithering with a throw in in front of the enclosure. Pensioners were allowed to sit on benches in front of the railings. One old boy got up, took the ball from Tosh & threw it to a Fulham player. The ref laughed & allowed play to go on. One of the biggest roars of all time.

Wonderful story😂😂

filham

Such sad news
Without doubt our biggest and best ever character as well as the player with the hardest shot we ever saw.
So loved by all of us who watched him play.

Londonfranky

He was my gym teacher in the the 60's, I remember going to play football and giving him the football on the halfway line and saying can you score from there? Ha said not with the plastic balls we were using, if we had a proper leather ball he could, lol!!

blingo

Sad news indeed. Lived around the corner in Rosebury Road. Knew him and his family. RIP Mr Chamberlain.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

One of the players / reasons that makes Fulham so special & why we support them

Yes I know most other clubs claim similar - BUT they aren't Fulham FC

RIP Tosh

Stoneleigh Loyalist

The great John Arlott was not only a cricket commentating legend but he was also an excellent football  journalist who was regularly seen at the Cottage in the late 50s.
He had a great humour in his reporting and I will always remember ' Fulham gained a corner and Tosh Chamberlain relieved the goalmouth pressure by heading clear'.

ScalleysDad

Some great stories on a sad day. RIP

SG

Quote from: sunburywhite on January 10, 2021, 12:57:46 PM
Such sad news, such a character

I remeber watching him in the 60's, never one to hold back on whatever he was doing. Often sent the Maesrto into fits of anger

For those who have never seen it here is a lovely clip of Callaghan Cohen and Tosh (when he turns up) talking about Haynes

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/october/18/forever-teammates

Now up on the main site again. Watch and you just have to laugh and smile along with them

filham

Quote from: Peabody on January 10, 2021, 01:06:52 PM
I am truly sad to hear this news. He was, surely, near the top of everyone's favourite player. I was at that game against Lincoln and as I remember it, received the ball straight from kick off and scored, even quicker than Georgie Bests goal. RIP Tosh
Tosh was certainly among my fovourite players and way out on top of every ones most loved player surely.

Holders

Unfortunately I only saw him play once, in a testimonial game after he had retired. I remember taking to him immediately and thinking what a special talent he was and how wonderful it would have been to have seen him play "for real".
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: SG on January 11, 2021, 10:03:49 AM
Quote from: sunburywhite on January 10, 2021, 12:57:46 PM
Such sad news, such a character

I remeber watching him in the 60's, never one to hold back on whatever he was doing. Often sent the Maesrto into fits of anger

For those who have never seen it here is a lovely clip of Callaghan Cohen and Tosh (when he turns up) talking about Haynes

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/october/18/forever-teammates

Now up on the main site again. Watch and you just have to laugh and smile along with them

It was wonderful to see that again, thank you for posting.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

I was lucky enough to see Tosh play, even if towards the end of his illustrious career.

For many us, he summed up everything  Fulham FC was about - a swashbuckling winger, with a cannonball shot from  distance, that could either be a worldy, or hit the corner flag, but someone who would exchange friendly  banter with the fans standing  on the riverside  terrace.

For many of us it was the Tosh and Haynes show down on the Thames, with Johnny often glaring at his  good mate, when he'd failed to control a thirty  yard  pass.
But they were great mates, as said, and us kids would often wait for ages outside the Cottage entrance for them, and the other players to emerge after a game.  Well, we'd seen the crates of beer being delivered before the game.
Neither Tosh nor Johnny was ever too big to sign a photo or  scrap of paper, only requesting that we form an orderly queue.

It was Tosh who began a snowball fight with us shivering kids watching the  players jogging round the outside of the snow covered pitch, unusually being allowed in to the Cottage to watch training on a day when everywhere was buried under heavy  snow.
At Chelsea we'd always get thrown out.

The Fulham players then, were like  family of friends to us, real warm, human characters, and we felt as if we knew them, and of course, like Tosh and  JH, they often spent most of their career at the same club.

But Tosh had been a top player in his time for Fulham, with some memorable goals to his  credit, too, and   fans who saw him play, and   very many who didn't, as we see here, have such  fond memories of  him.

Tosh was Mr. Fulham for many of us.

RIP

colcliff

RIP Tosh
Still remember knocking at his house in Roseberry road  when I was young and asking if tosh could come out to play football (which he would often do) or seeing him in South Park when he would also join in
Can't imagine today's players doing that.
Always great fun and really seamed to enjoy life
My sympathy is with his family

ron

Happy memories of him in my young days. A Fulham stalwart.

Rest in Peace Tosh. You played a blinder.

Neutral Zone Ultra

He may have played way before I was first involved with FFC but I got the impression from what I saw and heard of him that he was a true Fulham man with a huge character, and I'm gutted to see that he's passed. RIP Tosh.

Colton F.C.

By popular demand - TOSH ON FIRE!