watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why Keep Scott Parker

Started by Keefy, April 11, 2021, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebel

There's an article that Tottenham are monitoring Parker, they might 'headhunt' him.

JoelH5

I'd keep Parker unless we can get Eddie Howe, then it's a no brainer. I don't think he'd manage us in the Champ though
I was there, standing in the Putney end

colinwhite

I suppose it all depends on how you judge players. We have created plenty of chances but havent finished teams off. I put that down to lack of quality at this level and i dont believe that would have made much difference whoever the manager was.  Lets see how it pans out. Some of the criticism of Parker is just silly. Hes not perfect by any means but he got us promoted and that is the main stat to look at. We are a  mistaken red card /pen at newcastle ,a penalty miss from Lookman and a hitting the post from BDR inthe first half against WBA away from not being in the bottom 3.
Then we wouldnt even be having this debate.

compare the strike force we have now with Roys great escape side. Macbride,Kamara,Dempsey and Nevland , would have scored goals in our present side if you ask me!

Mullers OG

Best manager in my opinion we've had since RH. Given what he had to start with it's to his credit he managed to get promotion. Then he tightened up the defence and midfield. Up front much was always going to depend on Mitrovic. Whether he has been off form, injured and unfit or suffering from COVID is unknown. Apart from him there wasn't much else. Cavaleiro has had to play out of position, Kamara has thankfully been offloaded and Maja loaned. My one real regret this season is not being able to see Areola, Anderson and others at the Cottage.

Next season we have the nucleus of a decent side. Our main danger will be bigger clubs such as Spurs sniffing around trying to tempt Parker away. Too many clubs change managers too often. We need a bit of continuity. 

FFC In Oz

Quote from: rebel on April 14, 2021, 11:33:18 AM
There's an article that Tottenham are monitoring Parker, they might 'headhunt' him.

Good.  Let them have him.

I personally think the article is cr@p but if somehow he does end up there he won't last more than 6 months.

blingo

Quote from: Mullers OG on April 14, 2021, 11:52:57 AM
Best manager in my opinion we've had since RH. Given what he had to start with it's to his credit he managed to get promotion. Then he tightened up the defence and midfield. Up front much was always going to depend on Mitrovic. Whether he has been off form, injured and unfit or suffering from COVID is unknown. Apart from him there wasn't much else. Cavaleiro has had to play out of position, Kamara has thankfully been offloaded and Maja loaned. My one real regret this season is not being able to see Areola, Anderson and others at the Cottage.

Next season we have the nucleus of a decent side. Our main danger will be bigger clubs such as Spurs sniffing around trying to tempt Parker away. Too many clubs change managers too often. We need a bit of continuity. 

I don't see your reasoning at all, however, i'd like two of whatever it is you are drinking. We were LUCKY to get promoted. A new manager would have kept us up if we had brought him in mid season. Parker ball is simply not acceptable at this level, we have no midfield threat at all. THAT is down to parker and his hopeless tactical play.

WindyCity

Quote from: Lambo on April 14, 2021, 10:36:40 AM
Quote from: WindyCity on April 13, 2021, 04:20:36 PM
Why Keep Scott Parker?
Continuity/stability
I'm for keeping SP on board for at least another 2-3 years, regardless which league we find ourselves in......
You want to watch that style of football for another 2 to 3 years?

My friend, I'll be happy to watch any style of football as long as it produces 3 point results and promotion/survival in top flight.  I'm not so much about the "artistic".  I'm all about "results" and winning.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: blingo on April 14, 2021, 03:35:49 PM

I don't see your reasoning at all, however, i'd like two of whatever it is you are drinking. We were LUCKY to get promoted. A new manager would have kept us up if we had brought him in mid season. Parker ball is simply not acceptable at this level, we have no midfield threat at all. THAT is down to parker and his hopeless tactical play.

Agree.

Almost every time we go forward it's reliant on Lookman to create something or from a long Andersen diagonal (which other teams have cottoned on to)

colinwhite

Parkerball ?,what is that? We have sit back and been direct in many games this season,so what exactly do you mean ?

Gezza

I find it interesting to compare the apparent undying love on this site for Jokanovic  and the dislike of Parker. Jokanovic , an experienced manager, who managed to get us into the Premiership after two attempts via the play offs and failed miserably in the top flight, leading to his sacking, compared to Parker, a novice manager, who got us into the Premiership at his first attempt. Admittedly Parker's results in the top flight have been disappointing, but the team has improved in certain areas and he seems to have the respect of his players. Unfortunately he has strengthened the defence at the cost of improving the attacking options where he is saddled with Mitrovic who is patently not good enough for the Premiership, having played under four managers and none of them have managed to get a consistent tune out of him.  The Premiership is hard and many far more experienced than Parker have failed. I would stick with him, feeling pretty confident he would get us promoted again.

Logicalman

Sorry Blingo, I respect your opinions but on this I think you are mistaken mate, though you are right, you need to stop drinking whatever you are as it's affecting your ability mate. As for lucky to get promoted - as 'lucky' as we were under Slav you mean? Getting promoted via playoffs tends to reduce the luck variable to a minimum, it's not like it's a one-game lucky win is it?

Some people hanker for us to bring Slav back, but the records of Slav and Scotty, where results matter (e.g. getting promoted and staying there) are little different. I don't look upon SP as anything like the finished article as Prem coaches go, I had more faith in Slav to that point, but neither do I see any point in getting rid at this juncture. Then again, I didn't fully understand why SK jumped early in showing Slav the door tbh, so what do I know?

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

colinwhite

Quote from: Gezza on April 14, 2021, 08:12:02 PM
I find it interesting to compare the apparent undying love on this site for Jokanovic  and the dislike of Parker. Jokanovic , an experienced manager, who managed to get us into the Premiership after two attempts via the play offs and failed miserably in the top flight, leading to his sacking, compared to Parker, a novice manager, who got us into the Premiership at his first attempt. Admittedly Parker's results in the top flight have been disappointing, but the team has improved in certain areas and he seems to have the respect of his players. Unfortunately he has strengthened the defence at the cost of improving the attacking options where he is saddled with Mitrovic who is patently not good enough for the Premiership, having played under four managers and none of them have managed to get a consistent tune out of him.  The Premiership is hard and many far more experienced than Parker have failed. I would stick with him, feeling pretty confident he would get us promoted again.

A decent post

blingo

Quote from: Logicalman on April 14, 2021, 08:57:38 PM

Sorry Blingo, I respect your opinions but on this I think you are mistaken mate, though you are right, you need to stop drinking whatever you are as it's affecting your ability mate. As for lucky to get promoted - as 'lucky' as we were under Slav you mean? Getting promoted via playoffs tends to reduce the luck variable to a minimum, it's not like it's a one-game lucky win is it?

Some people hanker for us to bring Slav back, but the records of Slav and Scotty, where results matter (e.g. getting promoted and staying there) are little different. I don't look upon SP as anything like the finished article as Prem coaches go, I had more faith in Slav to that point, but neither do I see any point in getting rid at this juncture. Then again, I didn't fully understand why SK jumped early in showing Slav the door tbh, so what do I know?

Ahhhh, Mr Logical, a 12 year old Macallan would not do you any harm lol. Personally I don't think we should bring back Slav, and I fail to see where SP is doing us any favours. He is using us to learn his trade before he jumps ship to another club.
We were very lucky to get promoted sir, 4th in the table and how we got there on some of that seasons performances I will never know. We got through in extra time and tbh and as much as I hate to say it, Brentford deserved it more than we did. Will we come straight back up? I don't think it will be anywhere near as easy as some seem to think on here. I'll keep the Macallan on hold for you, and as you say, in all honesty, what do I know? It's all guess work and assumption from where we sit

3 Cherries

Scotty has to go for one reason:

Why we keep attempting to play from the back when we evidently can't!!!

I Ronic

Given his managerial career has just got under way, he's not done badly at all. In fact he's achieved things more seasoned managers haven't.
Twice now we've gained promotion via the play offs and it's been a bit of a disaster.
He more than anyone knows next time it's got to be an automatic spot. So, he's going to have to have a different mindset from the outset. We go for wins a draw is as bad if not worse than a loss.
I say we stick with SP.

Asotosyios

Quote from: Gezza on April 14, 2021, 08:12:02 PM

All fans want their team to win, but for some of us the performance is as important as the result.

It might have taken Jokanovic two years to lead us to the Premier League, rather than taking us straight up like Parker did, but those two years were filled with entertaining and attacking football rather than the dull, monotonous football we had to watch most of last season. I respect that this might mean nothing to you, but as I said for others it is important and that's the main reason of this site's undying love for Jokanovic.

Also, it's interesting if not unfair to compare Jokanovic and Parker in the Premier League. Jokanovic definitely didn't do well when we last got promoted, but do you think that 12 games are enough for us to judge him? Even so, Jokanovic managed 5 points after the first 12 games when he got fired - Parker managed 8 points after 12 games this year. Not really much there, is it?

All Jokanovic lovers on this site do not expect that he will come back - we know that ship has sailed. However, it feels rather harsh to read how much better than Jokanovic Parker is - in my opinion. Each to their own, of course - someone else wrote today or yesterday that Scott Parker is the best managed we have had since Roy Hodgson, so what do I know?   :022:

Ruislip White

I'd like to see Parker stay in the knowledge that he has gained experience and improved, and also in the hope that last season's 'Parkerball' has been abandoned.  I really hope he does well as he will develop into excellent manager over time.  On the Joka v Parker point, Joka had a poorer squad and only really got a proper striker late in our promotion season.  Prior to that he had to make so with the likes of Chris Martin and AK47.  Joka also made players better.  Ream, Sess, McDonald to name a few improved under him.  I haven't seen players become better in the same way under Parker (of course there is the odd exception).  Last season most players deteriorated throughout the season.  Cav, Knoackaert, Cairney to name a few should have been excellent at championship level, but consistently underperformed for Parker.
As I said, I hope he is better in championship as the squad has the potential to bounce back.

Plodder

There's a little bit of the starry-eyed about Jokanovic, with quotes such as " those two years were filled with entertaining and attacking football".  Not for the first part of his tenure, when we finished 20th in the season he took over half way through, and then struggled in the first half of each of the following seasons.  I remember a huge amount of moaning during the poor runs of results about how bad we were, especially as an attacking force. People think solely about the superb second half of the promotion campaign, aided considerably by the arrival of a fit and motivated Mitrovic.  Jokanovic had good and bad times with us.

The Rational Fan

Scott Parker is capable of organising a better defence than the 2nd half of 17/18, which only conceed 17 goals in 23 games (eg 14-16 goals). If Tony Khan can convince Mitrovic to stay, then there are 8-14 goals per half season. We don't need much from our attacking midfielders and wingers, to go up.

Most importantly going up with a solid and stable defence is the best preparation for the premier league. Scott Parker has coached our defence brilliantly (or at least well) this season, but it was one season too late, the defence needs to be coached in the championship and TK add a little quality on promotion (ie Areola and Anderson).

colinwhite

Quote from: 3 Cherries on April 14, 2021, 09:49:28 PM
Scotty has to go for one reason:

Why we keep attempting to play from the back when we evidently can't!!!

since Andersen and Tosin have come in we have been much more direct from the back,often by passing the midfield .Every team in the Pl plays out from the back . Have you actually been watching any of our games ?