watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tosin

Started by JoelH5, July 19, 2021, 10:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoelH5

Anyone know what happened with Tosin? Apparently his release clause ended 10th July. If no one bid, it's scrapped.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

WestSussexWhite

Release clause has expired, and therefore any bid that comes in has to meet the clubs valuation. He played 45 mins on Saturday.

JoelH5

That's amazing news. I think he's a super important player for next year. If he does go, at least we will be paid properly. Thanks for the info
I was there, standing in the Putney end

ianthailand

Only problem is TK values him at less than the buyout clause!!!

filham

Quote from: ianthailand on July 19, 2021, 12:05:33 PM
Only problem is TK values him at less than the buyout clause!!!
Surely we can rely on the new manager to put TK right on such matters.

perry geyton

filham

Quote from: perry geyton on July 19, 2021, 05:01:38 PM
He'll stay
Hope you are right , without him we will again have the makings of a leaky defense.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: filham on July 19, 2021, 05:04:03 PM
Quote from: perry geyton on July 19, 2021, 05:01:38 PM
He'll stay
Hope you are right , without him we will again have the makings of a leaky defense.

I don't expect many 0-0 draws at the cottage in the championship and if the back six is "Rodak, Tete, Hector, Tosin, Robinson and Reed" then I don't think the other team will be scoring. Tosin is a huge additional to the squad, even if he plays with MLM or other squad CB most teams will find it very hard to score..

Bill2

Maybe no one thought he was worth the release clause and will come up with a lower figure, apparently on todays stuff his agent is touting him around. Obviously wants a pay day.

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: Bill2 on July 20, 2021, 11:15:39 AM
Maybe no one thought he was worth the release clause and will come up with a lower figure, apparently on todays stuff his agent is touting him around. Obviously wants a pay day.

Fulham won't sell for less than the release clause though. I wouldn't expect fulham woll sell for much lower than 15 mill

Count Flapula

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on July 20, 2021, 11:25:17 AM

Fulham won't sell for less than the release clause though. I wouldn't expect fulham woll sell for much lower than 15 mill

He proved his chops in the Prem last season - from roughly October onwards our defence was a relatively solid one and he played a large part in that.

I'd be disappointed if we sold our (perhaps only) Prem quality CB for £15m even. Ability, age, potential and remaining contract length-wise, he's got to be worth more than £15m.

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: Count Flapula on July 20, 2021, 02:38:00 PM

Agreed, I expect it will be more than that if he does go
He proved his chops in the Prem last season - from roughly October onwards our defence was a relatively solid one and he played a large part in that.

I'd be disappointed if we sold our (perhaps only) Prem quality CB for £15m even. Ability, age, potential and remaining contract length-wise, he's got to be worth more than £15m.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Count Flapula on July 20, 2021, 02:38:00 PM

Agree. Should hold out for £25m. That's what Everton paid for Godfrey.

Statto

Hmmm, even our defence was bottom 8 quality last year and that was with Aerola, Anderson and DM Reed coming 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the POTS vote. So for Tosin I'm not sure being one of the weakest members of one of the weakest defences constitutes "proving his chops". On the rare occasions that a relegated club's player is deemed to be PL quality and worth £20m+ it's almost invariably where that player was the best in the team.

bencher

Quote from: Statto on July 20, 2021, 03:36:54 PM
Hmmm, even our defence was bottom 8 quality last year and that was with Aerola, Anderson and DM Reed coming 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the POTS vote. I'm not sure being one of the weakest members of one of the weakest defences constitutes "proving his chops".

1. I'm not sure finishing behind 3 other players in POTS = being one of the weakest members.
2. Finishing bottom 8 in defence (i.e. not relegation places) does = being proving PL chops.

Statto

Finishing 4th lower among 5/6 defensive players = being one of the weaker members of that group

Somerset Fulham

I still have the same reservations about him that Statto does.  I would love to be proven wrong, but I think he is over egged on here, somewhat.

Count Flapula

Hmmm, even our defence was bottom 8 quality last year and that was with Aerola, Anderson and DM Reed coming 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the POTS vote. So for Tosin I'm not sure being one of the weakest members of one of the weakest defences constitutes "proving his chops". On the rare occasions that a relegated club's player is deemed to be PL quality and worth £20m+ it's almost invariably where that player was the best in the team.

By your own calcs, he was our second best defender in a team that finished 12th out of 20 in the league for number of goals conceded ("bottom 8" sounds better for your take on things, granted).

From game 10 onwards (when we settled on our best defence and defensive system), we let in 34 in 28 games - that is not shipping goals at an alarming rate by standards of any teams outside of the top 4. He played in pretty much every game during that period so he played a large part in that stat. He certainly was not highlighted by anyone as being "carried" in the Prem.

He also received positive match ratings and reviews for his own repformances during those 28 games on a regular and fairly consistent basis, even if we did not always pick up the results.

How is that "one of the weakest defenders" in our team?

So, individually as a defender over a 28-game period I'd say the facts, stats and reviews show he's proven himself to be a PL quality defender and worth more than £15m. As do my eyes and plenty of other Fulham supporters who I know/ come on here, never mind the neutrals who share that opinion.

Tabby

The players of the season at Norwich when they went down were Tim Krul, Todd Cantwell and Alexander Tettey in that order. Godfrey nowhere to be seen in that list and their defence was by far the worst instead of being mid table.

Clearly he should have been sold for £5 million tops.

Statto

Quote from: Count Flapula on July 20, 2021, 04:14:49 PM

By your own calcs, he was our second best defender in a team that finished 12th out of 20 in the league for number of goals conceded ("bottom 8" sounds better for your take on things, granted).

From game 10 onwards (when we settled on our best defence and defensive system), we let in 34 in 28 games - that is not shipping goals at an alarming rate by standards of any teams outside of the top 4. He played in pretty much every game during that period so he played a large part in that stat. He certainly was not highlighted by anyone as being "carried" in the Prem.

He also received positive match ratings and reviews for his own repformances during those 28 games on a regular and fairly consistent basis, even if we did not always pick up the results.

How is that "one of the weakest defenders" in our team?

So, individually as a defender over a 28-game period I'd say the facts, stats and reviews show he's proven himself to be a PL quality defender and worth more than £15m. As do my eyes and plenty of other Fulham supporters who I know/ come on here, never mind the neutrals who share that opinion.

"12th out of 20" may sound better for your take on things but of course 13th would be more accurate.

And we don't know he was rated our 2nd best defender in the POTS voting. Tete, Aina and/or Robinson may have come ahead of him too. All we know is he had better players in front of him, behind him, and alongside him.

You're quite right that he's rated by plenty of Fulham supporters. Although I think that somewhat trumped by the fact that no other club was prepared to pay his £10m release fee.