Blawarmy

Quote from: Blawarmy on August 10, 2021, 05:11:11 PM
Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on August 10, 2021, 05:05:48 PM
[qu

ote author=bog link=topic=82588.msg1267770#msg1267770 date=1628608967]
Quote from: Blawarmy on August 10, 2021, 03:08:26 PM
Since he missed that penalty against Scotland it's destroyed him

That is understandable.

PARKER destroyed him he went away for Serbia and scored a few crakers then came back scored against villa to put us 1 up and then parker dropped him again

I hope Silva will get him back to his best. He just needs to net a couple and get his confidence back. I have no doubt that Harry will give him some assists [emoji1360]
[/quote]

davew

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 10, 2021, 02:50:25 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 10, 2021, 02:48:31 PM
Give him the service - he'll get goals....once he gets goals, his hold up play will improve.....he probably needs half a dozen game's to settle in again

I'd argue he's had some service and he's not finishing or getting himself in the right positions enough to get those chances but we'll see I guess.
+1, how many more times are some on here are going to make excuses for him, not fit, not enough crosses, not enough of the ball etc. etc. Perhaps we should buy another 6 wingers to see if they can motivate Mitro, there again money would be better spent on replacing Mitro with somebody who is more mobile and might show a bit more interest, effort and ability in playing for us!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

paulbrookersmazydribbles

I can't subscribe to the bashing of Mitrovic on the evidence of Sunday's fixture. He got an early booking - the challenge was probably foolhardy - and that clearly disrupted the way he would have played against a couple of Middlesbrough centre halves, who marshalled him very well in my view.

I'm not sure if Silva has got him playing in a slightly different way (he seemed to be playing a bit deeper than in recent years) but he did deliver a couple of excellent flick ons for Carvalho and had a couple of efforts wide in the second half. We'll have to see how Silva uses him in future - but, at the moment, he's our only recognised forward with a record of scoring regular goals in this division - it would be madness to write him off right now in my view.

Strikers with a proven Championship pedigree aren't cheap and I'm confident that Mitrovic will come good.

rebel

If Slav took over tomorrow, for starters his body language would be different, the performances would follow.
Maybe that will happen under Silva, give him the first eight matches.   

Blawarmy

Quote from: paulbrookersmazydribbles on August 10, 2021, 05:23:22 PM
I can't subscribe to the bashing of Mitrovic on the evidence of Sunday's fixture. He got an early booking - the challenge was probably foolhardy - and that clearly disrupted the way he would have played against a couple of Middlesbrough centre halves, who marshalled him very well in my view.

I'm not sure if Silva has got him playing in a slightly different way (he seemed to be playing a bit deeper than in recent years) but he did deliver a couple of excellent flick ons for Carvalho and had a couple of efforts wide in the second half. We'll have to see how Silva uses him in future - but, at the moment, he's our only recognised forward with a record of scoring regular goals in this division - it would be madness to write him off right now in my view.

Strikers with a proven Championship pedigree aren't cheap and I'm confident that Mitrovic will come good.
We need Muniz and an upgrade on AK

FFC1987

Quote from: paulbrookersmazydribbles on August 10, 2021, 05:23:22 PM

Ok, so if we say, ignore this last game, how would we explain the last 2 seasons roughly? Because it can't be that Mitrovic is the unluckiest striker in the world and just doesn't get any service after consistently playing so well. We'd have to really ignore 2 seasons worth of evidence that he's not performing anywhere near what he has done for us previously.

I still have a massive soft spot for Mitro. But he's not beyond criticism.

paulbrookersmazydribbles

He's certainly not beyond criticism - I've just said I wouldn't be writing him off (that's just a personal view).

He clearly had a very poor season last year, but I'm not sure why we'd be ignoring the previous season? He scored 26 goals and finished with the golden boot in a team that wasn't exactly playing flowing football.

FFC1987

Quote from: paulbrookersmazydribbles on August 10, 2021, 05:31:49 PM
He's certainly not beyond criticism - I've just said I wouldn't be writing him off (that's just a personal view).

He clearly had a very poor season last year, but I'm not sure why we'd be ignoring the previous season? He scored 26 goals and finished with the golden boot in a team that wasn't exactly playing flowing football.

I'm certainly with you on not writing him off. A position I made in this thread too. I wouldn't say I'm ignoring his good seasons. Or his ridiculously good international record but his stats have dropped quite a lot over the past couple of seasons (for us) and its not all down to Parker. He's missed penalties and chances and just isn't getting chances like he used to and that's not fundamentally down to everyone else.

For context, I was a striker back in the day and the coaches used to always say 'it matters less if your missing chances, than if you aren't getting them'. Mitrovic not getting as many chances are as much down to him as it is the team and Parkerball. An example. Watch previous matches including this week, how many times someone is in behind and where Mitro is. More often in the last few seasons he's on edge of box or just inside. The Mitro I remember is penalty spot or closer and scoring a nick off the goalie or a toe from the cross because he's battled past the defender. This basic movement has been missing from his game for a while now and I wonder if he's still a bit heavy and not exactly match fit albeit, better than I saw him last season. Maja comes in and was making precisely those runs and was being rewarded for it on occasion and that's in the Prem. 

junior white

Personally i wouldnt write Mitro off, he will score goals again at some stage with the right service.

Here is a dilemma, he scored a lot of goals under SP in our promotion season, and yet the following season didn't. We didn't bombard people with crosses the year we went up, he just made the most of what he got, so last year was a little surprising. He had Covid twice I believe, the first was his fault form a party or something if the media are to be believed. So if we put it solely down to service then we need to look at how Silva plays. Having looked at him at Watford and Everton his sides hardly reigned in the crosses, he likes inverted wingers or wingers that come in and shoot, that doesnt bode well for Mitro. Wilson is definitely a player that can cross and deliver a set piece, however he does like to cut inside and pull the trigger as seen on Sunday, Cav is also a player who likes to cut in and shoot (poorly more often than not it would seem) or lay off and go for the return. So if it is down to service he may not get much under Silva cross wise, so again will need to make the most of what he gets. Richarlison is a prime example is a wide player that comes narrow and now he plays more central (or did under Ancelotti), if thats what we can expect then maybe a change will be needed.

Like I say I wouldnt write him off, but as some have said give him 6 to 8 games, I would ask is that too long? F we really want to finish top 2 is 6 or 8 games too long to wait before a change is made.

My hope is that we are transitioning to tactics under Silva that work for the team, and that he will see we need crosses and will tweak his tactics to work for the team, and then we will see a better team performance where everyone is playing as we had became used too.

paulbrookersmazydribbles

He definitely doesn't seem quite as sharp as previously yet - he had a couple of weeks less of pre-season IIRC - hopefully this will come in the weeks ahead.

H4usuallysitting

Give him half a dozen game's

Texas White

He will come good. Not worried.

bobby01

Quote from: junior white on August 10, 2021, 05:44:22 PM
Personally i wouldnt write Mitro off, he will score goals again at some stage with the right service.

Here is a dilemma, he scored a lot of goals under SP in our promotion season, and yet the following season didn't. We didn't bombard people with crosses the year we went up, he just made the most of what he got, so last year was a little surprising. He had Covid twice I believe, the first was his fault form a party or something if the media are to be believed. So if we put it solely down to service then we need to look at how Silva plays. Having looked at him at Watford and Everton his sides hardly reigned in the crosses, he likes inverted wingers or wingers that come in and shoot, that doesnt bode well for Mitro. Wilson is definitely a player that can cross and deliver a set piece, however he does like to cut inside and pull the trigger as seen on Sunday, Cav is also a player who likes to cut in and shoot (poorly more often than not it would seem) or lay off and go for the return. So if it is down to service he may not get much under Silva cross wise, so again will need to make the most of what he gets. Richarlison is a prime example is a wide player that comes narrow and now he plays more central (or did under Ancelotti), if thats what we can expect then maybe a change will be needed.

Like I say I wouldnt write him off, but as some have said give him 6 to 8 games, I would ask is that too long? F we really want to finish top 2 is 6 or 8 games too long to wait before a change is made.

My hope is that we are transitioning to tactics under Silva that work for the team, and that he will see we need crosses and will tweak his tactics to work for the team, and then we will see a better team performance where everyone is playing as we had became used too.

I see what you're saying but Silva had Deeney a similar striker and one not as good as Mitro I believe. I think we need a few weeks to be able to see how the Silva system will play out.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Lighthouse

Mitro while far from useless is not close to the player he was. For whatever reason he just hasn't looked close to matching any form of the past. I have mentioned this for some time but naturally thew fans love for him has closed to conversation down.

But we desperately need a forward as we did last season but while rumours abound we start another season short of a decent finisher. Hopefully Mitro will turn things around but the reason he didn't play last season was he wasn't good enough. This isn't a sudden occurrence.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

filham

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 10, 2021, 06:12:32 PM
Give him half a dozen game's
An in form Mitro is essential to us being in the promotion race but if we have to wait for six games for him to find his form that could be too late with us finding ourselves having played seven games without a win.

Milo

Completely disagree with OP.

He was barely played last season but then played regularly for Serbia and scored 5 times.

He's played once this season and we write him off..?

He's reaching his peak age, he's hit a bit of a rough patch as all strikers do.. but will suddenly hit form and will probably get us promoted this season with another 20-25 goals.

Skatzoffc

Quote from: MartyFFC on August 10, 2021, 02:59:44 PM
He was dropped for half of last season and whenever he did play, he had literally zero service; owing to Parker's fixation with rolling the ball sideways in our own half. The season before he won the golden boot, and so I think it's a bit premature to be judging him after just one game under Silva. He'll get 20+ goals assuming he stays fit....

:plus one:
Silva has worked with this type of player before, in Deeney at Watford, so if he can't get him firing no-one can.

Let's give him his usual 3;or 4 games to get match fit before writing him off pls.
Coyw!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Denver Fulham

He looks a shell of his former self. Limited movement, losing physical battles, can't hold the ball up.

He was more involved on Sunday than last season, but it was only really effective in the sense that he dropped deeper a few times that opened space for a run behind him. If that's his primary benefit, we should sell him and buy someone with pace. We can't be relying on a 20yo Brazilian and an out-of-form Mitrovic to finish top two.

We've seen far too much previously from Mitro in this division to write him off after one forgettable performance this season, but I'm concerned. He's been pretty bad for a year now and I don't think we have "6-8 matches" to see if he can find his form. Wait that long and you're stuck until at least January, and we know that's a tough window, especially when many teams are skint.

The Rational Fan

Summer valuations are talking about Mitrovic being only worth £14m, and after the last two performances that value has dropped. Leaving us the option of a) selling Mitrovic for £10m and using the money to buy a centre forward cheaper than either Reid, Cav or Knockaert hoping that he is an upgrade on Mitrovic or b) keep Mitrovic and hope Silva brings back the old Mitrovic returns. Neither are guaranteed to work but option B is more likely. Let's face it Mitrovic is still seven to one to top the championship goalscoring, which is more chance that TK will buy the best striker in the league with £10m

junior white

Quote from: bobby01 on August 10, 2021, 06:19:21 PM
Quote from: junior white on August 10, 2021, 05:44:22 PM

I see what you're saying but Silva had Deeney a similar striker and one not as good as Mitro I believe. I think we need a few weeks to be able to see how the Silva system will play out.
I agree with what your saying, Deeney is definitely not as good as Mitro of old. Deeney though was more willing it seems than Mitro to move out wide or come deep to move the centre backs around for runners so that the wide players can come in side and shoot. That meant that Deeney didnt get 20 goals but the wide players maybe got more to compensate.

Like I say I hope all sorts it self out as on paper Mitro is the best striker in the division