watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Opinions on Wilson

Started by bobby01, September 16, 2021, 11:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCFOREVER

I personally reckon he is fantastic. Times MOST of his runs to perfection and will only get better.

WindyCity

Opinions on Wilson?

Excellent player.  One thing I especially like about him is that he seems to have great instincts and football 'smarts', positioning, etc.  And the kid knows how to "finish", something that has lacked in our squad for some time now.  Put him and Carvalho on the pitch at the same time, you've got a real FFC offensive threat, young, energetic, pacey, smart, finishers.  Hope FFC can keep them both in the team.

Jim©

3 goals, 2 assists for us this season. 7 goals, 12 assists for Cardiff last season. That's not luxury territory in my mind. That's nailed on starter/difference maker territory.

Carborundum

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on September 16, 2021, 04:32:40 PM
Quote from: Carborundum on September 16, 2021, 04:10:58 PM
Enjoyed a couple of beers last night with a Cardiff season ticket holder and inevitably the topic came up.  We weren't watching the match.

He's clearly on a hot streak, wingers have them.  And I'd love to be proven wrong, but on the very limited occasions when I have seen him live, the player who he most reminds me of is Alex Kacanaclic.  He had this tendency to position himself for maximum chances of breakaway glory and far fewer chances of helping a beleaguered full back.  My Cardiff supporting colleague confirmed that's his game and in a team like Cardiff it didn't really work, everyone needed to muck in equally.  He speculated that perhaps Fulham could afford the luxury of playing him.  In my experience luxury players become problematic in the long run. 

So, for me the jury is out, but it's very early days.  The stats don't lie, he's doing plenty right but there's room for improvement.

Did you watch his defensive work rate at home to Stoke? Or his tracking back last night? I don't think anyone can question is defensive work rate. Works very hard tracking back so far
Stoke game yes, last night I was on a train.  As I said, limited direct exposure and I don't trust TV camera directors to give me the full story.  My Cardiff supporting colleague, dare I say it, knows his football.  His assessment is based on a full season.  Well almost a full season because after a bright start HW's selection tailed off I gather.

LC

I think he's our best forward player personally. Watching him and Fabio Cav play together when they're on tune is a pleasure to watch.

Tabby

Been good so far. Was expecting him to be a good crosser and to try to score wondergoals, wasn't expecting him to be able to get in behind as much as he does.

Statto

In my experience luxury players become problematic in the long run. 

Not sure he's a "long run" player anyway - I'm not sure he's good enough for the PL. Realistically, if we go up, only about 6 of our current best XI are going to continue as regular starters and Seri, Tosin, Reed and Mitrovic have probably claimed most of those slots already.

AshfordFFC

Quote from: WindyCity on September 16, 2021, 04:47:21 PM
Opinions on Wilson?

Excellent player.  One thing I especially like about him is that he seems to have great instincts and football 'smarts', positioning, etc.  And the kid knows how to "finish", something that has lacked in our squad for some time now.  Put him and Carvalho on the pitch at the same time, you've got a real FFC offensive threat, young, energetic, pacey, smart, finishers.  Hope FFC can keep them both in the team.

Cannot argue with that assessment  :54:

AJW48361

Woolly Mammoth

He has that X Factor and every successful team needs at least one of those in their ranks.
He will at times win games for us at a moment of brilliance, other players in the team are capable of saving games for us. He is most definitely a competitor and that should stand him in good stead.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

WestSussexWhite

His record throughout his career is excellent. A goal or assist in every other game is his average and that's over 180 games. So no small sample size

colinwhite

If people cant see Wilsons class then thats beyond me.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Tabby on September 16, 2021, 05:13:04 PM
Been good so far. Was expecting him to be a good crosser and to try to score wondergoals, wasn't expecting him to be able to get in behind as much as he does.
I agree Tabby.
I have been pleasanly surprised by his pace.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on September 16, 2021, 04:32:40 PM
Enjoyed a couple of beers last night with a Cardiff season ticket holder and inevitably the topic came up.  We weren't watching the match.

He's clearly on a hot streak, wingers have them.  And I'd love to be proven wrong, but on the very limited occasions when I have seen him live, the player who he most reminds me of is Alex Kacanaclic.  He had this tendency to position himself for maximum chances of breakaway glory and far fewer chances of helping a beleaguered full back.  My Cardiff supporting colleague confirmed that's his game and in a team like Cardiff it didn't really work, everyone needed to muck in equally.  He speculated that perhaps Fulham could afford the luxury of playing him.  In my experience luxury players become problematic in the long run. 

So, for me the jury is out, but it's very early days.  The stats don't lie, he's doing plenty right but there's room for improvement.

Did you watch his defensive work rate at home to Stoke? Or his tracking back last night? I don't think anyone can question is defensive work rate. Works very hard tracking back so far
Agreed.  And all credit to Silva who seems to have achieved a high work rate in every player (exception being the departed Anguissa)
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

bigalffc

He's a bloody revelation, best signing in years imo
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

The Rational Fan

Quote from: unionist_ffc on September 16, 2021, 01:20:20 PM
12 million is a lot of money for him.

He seems wasteful at times and perhaps, injury prone, but happy to have him on our side

I'd personally prefer to have kept Anguissa for $12m, especially if we get promoted.

WestSussexWhite

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 17, 2021, 07:04:18 AM

He seems wasteful at times and perhaps, injury prone, but happy to have him on our side

I'd personally prefer to have kept Anguissa for $12m, especially if we get promoted.

I wouldn't, Anguissa has done nothing to prove he fits our football club or even wants to be here. Atleast Wilson wants to be here 

The Rational Fan

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on September 17, 2021, 07:18:42 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 17, 2021, 07:04:18 AM

I wouldn't, Anguissa has done nothing to prove he fits our football club or even wants to be here. Atleast Wilson wants to be here

If Wilson got a better offer, then he'll want to leave. Anguissa got better offers than Wilson, it would interesting if Wilson got the choice of starting at Roma or Fulham, which would be choice. Probably same as Anguissa. Anguissa was reportedly happy to play here, but also open to playing somewhere better too.

If we only want to keep players that want to be here, then maybe it's time to sell Tosin and Robinson. Rather than giving in to everyone that want to leave, I'd prefer to keep such quality players and tell them the only way their premier league dreams have to come true with a promotion for FFC or a £25m transfer fee for FFC.

RaySmith

He can score - uses his great pace and skill to beat off -side traps, get in behind massed defences, and put the ball in the  net, and is generally a potent creative and attacking force.

He is a match winner, and we have  another similar player in Carvalho.

How many did Anguissa, for all his  qualities, score?
He was part of an attack, that got the edge of the opposition box, and then  faltered, though I know that was  mostly in the Prem.

Jim©

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 17, 2021, 07:48:48 AM

If Wilson got a better offer, then he'll want to leave. Anguissa got better offers than Wilson, it would interesting if Wilson got the choice of starting at Roma or Fulham, which would be choice. Probably same as Anguissa. Anguissa was reportedly happy to play here, but also open to playing somewhere better too.

If we only want to keep players that want to be here, then maybe it's time to sell Tosin and Robinson. Rather than giving in to everyone that want to leave, I'd prefer to keep such quality players and tell them the only way their premier league dreams have to come true with a promotion for FFC or a £25m transfer fee for FFC.

On what basis would you prefer to keep Anguissa (and I liked the bloke) over Wilson?
The difference Wilson makes to us on the pitch is clear to everyone. A goal or assist every 130 minutes in the top two divisions is very decent. Anugissa stats in the same two divisions are a goal (never) or assist every 1390 minutes (every 15 games!!!).

You talk about holding onto our best players, well the best way of doing that is for the team to be achieving something and we're more likely to with Wilson than Frank in the team.