watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham 1-4 Newcastle Sat 1 Oct 15:00

Started by WhiteJC, July 29, 2022, 02:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

SF, I don't think that's necessarily true and the match speaks to that. We had a perfectly capable midfield without Chalo available which IMO, would make us much more competitive without sacrificing tactics. The players we could put in those positions, have all played there before and ultimately, negates the need to play a championship standard player in one of most important roles. Feels a no brainer to me.

TC's Sporran

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 01, 2022, 04:37:23 PM
So, TC is the only one able to win a tackle, and also the only one able to find a Fulham player with a pass. No one else I can think of that comes away with much credit today. Most have been really poor, some have been horrendous.
i think the only reason he "isnt a 90 minute player anymore" is purely because he isnt being picked to start.  both pereira and kebano seemingly unwilling to pass to tc a few times in the last few mins despite him being in space. i think cairney looks the best player in a white shirt atm.

Rj Fulham

Bring the kids on, not going to change the result but at least it'll be a little  something positive  on a overall crap day

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 01, 2022, 04:39:17 PM
So, TC is the only one able to win a tackle, and also the only one able to find a Fulham player with a pass. No one else I can think of that comes away with much credit today. Most have been really poor, some have been horrendous.

Out of interest, for you, does this not highlight the initial criticism of Silva's selection again? Cairney comes on, show's his quality, clearly was fit, yet we still saw Chalo's lack of quality for the 8 minutes he played today.

It's a huge difference between not agreeing with the selection on the one hand, and pretending we were doomed beforehand on the other.

Mostly, to me, it highlights how good TC is but how he doesn't really fit in to the way Silva sees his midfield playing.

To me, the biggest worry is that we see how very average Pereira and Reed are in both directions without having Palhinha covering for them. Hopefully it is just one of those days.

Mince n Tatties

davew

Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

LittleErn

hkfulham

Never waste a crisis, as they say.  While one bad game doesn't make a crisis, it has made it entirely obvious  to owners and management where our strengths and weaknesses lie. 

Regroup, and let's not make the same decisions.  I expect an absolute roasting from Ream directed at the rest of the squad. 

This is a bad day amongst plenty of good ones.  Don't let this turn into a rot.

Pluto

andyk

Drawing the second half will help the confidence .
Clutching at straws a little, but every cloud.

davew

Thank God that is over, hopefully we will give better account next week!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 01, 2022, 04:47:49 PM

Out of interest, for you, does this not highlight the initial criticism of Silva's selection again? Cairney comes on, show's his quality, clearly was fit, yet we still saw Chalo's lack of quality for the 8 minutes he played today.

It's a huge difference between not agreeing with the selection on the one hand, and pretending we were doomed beforehand on the other.

Mostly, to me, it highlights how good TC is but how he doesn't really fit in to the way Silva sees his midfield playing.

To me, the biggest worry is that we see how very average Pereira and Reed are in both directions without having Palhinha covering for them. Hopefully it is just one of those days.

I don't think that was really the criticism was it? Maybe missed some posts but for instance, my criticism was on Silva selecting Chalo over Cairney, when we have the players to make us stronger. Ie Reed DM, Perera Box to Box, Cairney AM. Feels like a pretty straight forward selection to me. Admittedly I don't see as much as Silva in terms of training, but he's never really provided anything of substance to warrant a start in the championship, let alone the Prem.

Basically, my argument settles on, the DM is a fundamentally important role to the way we play. Reed might not be as good as Palinha, but he's the most experienced, and capable to standing in. Chalo, IMO, is probably the least capable and is a championship rated midfielder. He just makes you so much weaker being in the side, let alone an important role like that. Just seems nonsensical to me hence my criticism of Silva's selection.

Sgt Fulham

Glad the boys held it to 4 and even managed to get one back. It could have been even worse. Palhinha can't get back soon enough.

ron

That seemed to go on for about three or four hours.

Sting of the North

I completely disagree with Reed being a good DM, so in that regard can understand Silva. And there was a huge number of posts stating that they knew we would lose as soon as they saw Chalobah on the team sheet, or similar comments. Personally, would always like to see TC ahead of all our midfielders except Palhinha.

LC

Leno was the man of the match, and Cairney was our best outfield player- he should have started today

hkfulham

Quote from: LC on October 01, 2022, 04:59:22 PM
Leno was the man of the match, and Cairney was our best outfield player- he should have started today

Let's not forget Cairney came on when their foot was off the gas.

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 01, 2022, 04:58:38 PM
I completely disagree with Reed being a good DM, so in that regard can understand Silva. And there was a huge number of posts stating that they knew we would lose as soon as they saw Chalobah on the team sheet, or similar comments.

Good, or capable. He's a capable DM in the Prem, proven by being one of the better players who played there when we went down last time. As for predicting a loss, I changed mine to a loss after seeing the line up. My reasoning was partly based on Chalo, partly down to my belief we had another serious weakness to our important success, lack of attacking pace and strength in our fall backs compared to if Robinson and Tete were fit. Not a lot Silva could do there though. Chalo, he had options. And I'll fight to the death that Reed is a much, much better option at DM, than CHalo is. Objective fact in my book if you look at performances, stats and experience.

LC

Quote from: hkfulham on October 01, 2022, 04:59:54 PM
Quote from: LC on October 01, 2022, 04:59:22 PM

Let's not forget Cairney came on when their foot was off the gas.

You clearly want to criticise Cairney which I find ridiculous. This isn't the first time this season he's come on and played great

LittleErn

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 01, 2022, 04:54:57 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on October 01, 2022, 04:47:49 PM

I don't think that was really the criticism was it? Maybe missed some posts but for instance, my criticism was on Silva selecting Chalo over Cairney, when we have the players to make us stronger. Ie Reed DM, Perera Box to Box, Cairney AM. Feels like a pretty straight forward selection to me. Admittedly I don't see as much as Silva in terms of training, but he's never really provided anything of substance to warrant a start in the championship, let alone the Prem.

Basically, my argument settles on, the DM is a fundamentally important role to the way we play. Reed might not be as good as Palinha, but he's the most experienced, and capable to standing in. Chalo, IMO, is probably the least capable and is a championship rated midfielder. He just makes you so much weaker being in the side, let alone an important role like that. Just seems nonsensical to me hence my criticism of Silva's selection.

I haven't been able to watch the game, but I hope that Cairney's perfomance has been as good as you say. If he can truly play his best at this level then he will be an invaluable asset. In the past my criticisms have been that he is predictable and can be shepherded on to his weaker foot. I have also thought him weak in the tackle. I hope he has proved me wrong today. I can see your argument regarding the defensive set-up, but I suspect that Silva was concerned about a lack of height against the tall Newcastle team.