watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP George Cohen

Started by ffcthereligion, December 23, 2022, 10:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffcthereligion

"Terrible news. Hopefully Palace can recognise this moment on Boxing day given how big a club legend he was for us".

George Cohen: 1939-2022

Everyone associated with Fulham Football Club is desperately saddened to learn of the passing of one of our greatest ever players – and gentlemen – George Cohen MBE.

A one club man, George made 459 appearances for his beloved Whites, in addition to earning 37 England caps, with whom he famously won the World Cup in 1966.

Born in Fulham, soon after the outbreak of World War II, just over a mile from Craven Cottage on Cassidy Road, George actually lived closer to Stamford Bridge, but it was the black and white half of the borough he opted for.

"It was easier to bunk into Fulham than it was to get into Chelsea," he joked in a 2016 interview. "There was this big tree at Craven Cottage, and my friends and I used to climb up it and drop over the wall into the ground.

"The Club knew we used to sneak in that way, but it didn't mind; I suppose it was a way of recruiting young supporters!"

As a child, George attended St John's primary school, before moving onto Fulham Central secondary, which is now called Fulham College and is used by the Club on matchdays.

George stayed there until joining Fulham FC in 1956. Initially working as a member of the grounds staff, he soon swapped sweeping the terraces and cleaning boots for the big stage, making his debut against Liverpool as a 17-year-old in March 1957.

The following season, George established himself as the Club's first choice right-back, revolutionising the role. Blessed with terrific pace, he became one of the game's first attacking full-backs, setting the tone for how football is so often played today.

It was a successful campaign for the Whites, with a fifth placed finish complemented by a fine FA Cup run which was ended at the Semi-Final stage by Manchester United.

A year later, George started all but one of our 42 matches as Fulham won promotion to the top-flight, where he helped us stay for nine consecutive seasons, as well as getting another FA Cup Semi-Final under his belt in 1962.

His consistent performances were not going unnoticed, and in May 1964, Alf Ramsey handed him an England debut in a 2-1 win over Uruguay at Wembley. It was a shirt he refused to relinquish, taking the spot of national team captain Jimmy Armfield.

Of the next 27 matches England played before the World Cup, George started 23 of them and was Ramsey's undisputed first choice going into the tournament.

As Ramsey did not play with conventional wingers, a lot of responsibility fell on the shoulders of the full-backs, an obligation that George relished.

England kept clean sheets in their first four matches of the World Cup, culminating in a 1-0 Quarter-Final win over Argentina which led to a famous photo of Ramsey stopping George from swapping shirts at full-time, with the England manager angry at what he deemed to be dirty tactics from the opposition.

George started the move that led to the goal which proved the winner in the 2-1 Semi-Final victory over Portugal, before playing all 120 minutes of England's greatest game, as they saw off the challenge of West Germany to triumph 4-2 after extra-time in the World Cup Final.

He featured seven more times for his country after that tournament, and was duly awarded an MBE in 2000 for his services to football, alongside four of his teammates from '66; Roger Hunt, Alan Ball, Ray Wilson and Nobby Stiles.

George's playing days were cut tragically short at the age of just 29, after suffering a nasty knee injury. Cruelly coming at a time when he was playing what he considered to be the best football of his life, he never fully recovered and was forced to call time on his career.

One of the biggest endorsements of his talent came when the legendary winger George Best described him as "the best full-back I ever played against."

After spending some time coaching the Fulham youth team, as well as England's Under-23 side, George opted for a career change, becoming a success in the property and building markets.

A return to football beckoned, though, and it was only right that it was with Fulham. Brought back to Craven Cottage as a host in our hospitality lounges, George regaled guests on matchdays with stories of his career, quickly establishing himself as an absolute natural through his quick wit and gentlemanly persona.

It wasn't long before he was honoured with his own suite, and any fans who were lucky enough to enjoy hospitality in the George Cohen Lounge will no doubt have wonderful memories of the occasion.

In 2016, the Club announced that a statue of George had been commissioned, in celebration of the 50th anniversary of one of our favourite sons lifting the Jules Rimet trophy.

There launched #Cohen66, a fundraising campaign that looked to raise money for two causes close to George's heart – dementia and men's health, two issues on which he worked closely with the Fulham FC Foundation. The excellent Fulham Memories initiative was born from the former.

The statue was unveiled in October of that year, with George typically humble about the whole thing.

"I mean, to think that they had made a statue; I find it absolutely wonderful that they even thought I was worthy of it," he said. "Especially as it was alongside Johnny Haynes, the greatest name in Fulham's history.

"To be alongside him, it was rather unbelievable. It was great to think that not only the Club, but the supporters had wanted to put a statue of me there."

That was not the only honour bestowed upon George in 2016, as he was also granted the freedom of Hammersmith & Fulham, the highest civic distinction that a borough can give.

This was not just a recognition of his footballing achievements, but also of his tireless campaigning for research into cancer and dementia.

Following the introduction of the Forever Fulham award – presented to those players who have truly imprinted themselves upon the fabric of our Club – George was naturally one of the first recipients.

Only Johnny Haynes, Eddie Lowe and Les Barrett played more games for us than George. He is, quite simply, Fulham royalty.

All of our thoughts are with Daphne, his beloved wife of more than 60 years, sons Anthony and Andrew, his grandchildren and extended family, as well as George's many, many friends.

Details of how fans can pay tribute to George, as well as the Club's plans to honour him, will be detailed on fulhamfc.com in due course.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/december/23/george-cohen-1939-2022/

Penfold

colcliff

Sad to hear the news that George Cohen has passed away
True gentleman, great player, Fulham legend
Thoughts are with his family at this sad time

bobbo

What a lovely man on top of being a great player , so sad . Sleep peacefully george
1975 just leaving home full of hope

filham

Such sad news, what a great man and right up there among our all time favourites. I never heard a bad word against him.
He was a significant part of Fulham FC and I am hoping the club will recognise this in a big way at the Southampton match

Southcoastffc

RIP. Sincere condolences to his family.  A good man.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

F(f)CUK

You have to be a great person to have a statue when you are still alive. Incidentally his Wikipedia page currently says that he dies tomorrow.

SuffolkWhite

RIP George, a true Fulham legend 🙏
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Andy S

Very sad to hear. George was a true one club man and an absolute gentleman. Condolences to all his family and friends. Our one and only World Cup winner. George RIP

elgreenio

oh no, what terrible news. RIP George
touch my camera through the fence

alfie

When I was at the club he was always a perfect gentleman, I cannot think of anyone who didn't have a good word to say about him. RIP you gave Fulham your life and a World Cup.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Wall of White

Heaven has a new right back! RIP George

Maidstone Lee

Terrible news so close to Christmas, thoughts with Daphne and the rest of the family.

Fulham and England Legend, no other way to put it.

Rest in Peace George.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

bencher

RIP the late great George Cohen. Forever Fulham.

Twig

One of my all time heroes and a fantastic servant of FFC. A man I had the absolute pleasure to meet. RIP George and my deepest condolences to George's family.

Fernhurst

God bless George Rest in Peace. Thank you for your loyal and wonderful service to our club.
Deepest condolences to your wife, family and friends.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Barrett487

RIP George, a true legend of the game.

A Fulham stalwart and a true gentleman.

Another 66er gone, as well.

Right Back

My sincere condolences to all of George's family and friends. This is such sad news. I had the privilege of meeting George and his wife on a few occasions. What a gentleman . What a legend.  As a boy watching Fulham he was my idol. He was the reason I played football. I wanted to be like him. So I played Right Back...  Thank you George. Fulham through and through. May he RIP

The Old Count

Very sad news. Quite simply the best right back ever. A True gentleman with a quality lacking today: Loyalty.
RIP George.

Woolly Mammoth

That's an awful shock.
Rest In Peace George, a true genuine Fulham Legend.
George was not only  a great quality player and complete Gentleman who came through the Fulham ranks, he was also an England World Cup Winner.

He stayed loyal through thick and thin.
He certainly was one of our own and never to be forgotten.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.