watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Standing

Started by Peabody, January 28, 2023, 11:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

I fully appreciate that youngsters like to stand during a game, it helps to generat an atmosphere, I was young once but then, standing was the norm. Today I was in the Hammy Endand there where a few empty seats in front of me, which were suddenly filled after the twenty minute mark, by a group of young bloke who had watched the game on the concourse while they finished their beers. From then on I couldn't see any of the action because they kept on standing up. Please, I get it but one day these youngsters will not be young and they will develop things like arthritis etc and become a moaning Minnie, like me, because some youngster will be standing front of them, depriving them of a decent view of the game.

Mickeyboro

Quote from: Peabody on January 28, 2023, 11:54:50 PM
I fully appreciate that youngsters like to stand during a game, it helps to generat an atmosphere, I was young once but then, standing was the norm. Today I was in the Hammy Endand there where a few empty seats in front of me, which were suddenly filled after the twenty minute mark, by a group of young bloke who had watched the game on the concourse while they finished their beers. From then on I couldn't see any of the action because they kept on standing up. Please, I get it but one day these youngsters will not be young and they will develop things like arthritis etc and become a moaning Minnie, like me, because some youngster will be standing front of them, depriving them of a decent view of the game.
My wife won't come now because at her last game, a 3-1, she only saw one goal...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alfie

Quote from: Peabody on January 28, 2023, 11:54:50 PM
Well that's the reason I don't go anymore, I begrudge paying out a good few quid to stare at some blokes backside, when I said this a while ago I was instantly told to "go and sit down the front then"
I don't want to sit down the front and not be able to see the wider aspects of the game. I get that some want to stand, but it's a bit of "I'm all right Jack sod the rest of you".

There that's my moan out of the way.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

SP

I did my first commute back to central London last week & it's clear the modern way is screw you, I'll do exactly what I want regardless of the impact on anyone else.

bog

You're not a moaning minnie Peabody. That is bloody rude and thoughtless behaviour.  :031: Where were the stewards?  The money paid to watch a game should not be interrupted like that. Yes we jump (or I try to) when something looks likely to happen and when we score but otherwise sit down!

092.gif

StuinSalop

This is precisely why you need standing areas that rail seating gives you.  Then seating only areas where people are not allowed to stand.  It's blindingly obvious.

toshes mate

Quote from: StuinSalop on January 29, 2023, 09:17:30 AM
This is precisely why you need standing areas that rail seating gives you.  Then seating only areas where people are not allowed to stand.  It's blindingly obvious.
Nail on head. 

Seating only should never have been the way to go at PL or any other level of football and safe standing has been available throughout to satisfy the safety argument about too many people crammed into too little space is dangerous.  Standing or sitting makes no difference to capacity where safe standing is provided and if you need to sit down for any reason then there is a seat just behind you if you need it and it isn't locked up.  The football authorities need to look after all fans young or old and have a duty of care to do so.  No wonder attendances are falling because the authorities can't be bothered to do a job properly as long as their gravy train is operating as they hoped.

bigalffc

I've had this problem many times in the hammy end. Stewards should do more.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Andy S

Seating was bought in to make watching matches safer after the violence of the 1970s. Safe standing has been available in Europe for a good few years now and should be available here as well. I used to stand but I now need a seat as I am older and the legs aren't what they were. I don't really understand why people need to jump up as if your view  is not impaired why would you? But the people in front of me jump up then I have to and it is like a domino effect. It happens in the Hammy end but does it happen all around the ground?

Peabody

Agreed

Peabody

Quote from: Andy S on January 29, 2023, 10:12:16 AM
Seating was bought in to make watching matches safer after the violence of the 1970s. Safe standing has been available in Europe for a good few years now and should be available here as well. I used to stand but I now need a seat as I am older and the legs aren't what they were. I don't really understand why people need to jump up as if your view  is not impaired why would you? But the people in front of me jump up then I have to and it is like a domino effect. It happens in the Hammy end but does it happen all around the ground

It does

Woolly Mammoth

Agree and it is ridiculous that people stand up as soon as Fulham cross the halfway line, it is absolutely ridiculous, ignorant and antisocial to stand up in front of the person behind you preventing them for viewing the action and spectate showing no consideration.
In the absence of any quick fix Safe Standing has to be the answer, to allow people to sit in the seat they paid for to view the action. If any inconsiderate neanderthal stood up in front of me blocking my
view and then refuse to stay seated when asked politely.
Unfortunately for them i would not Stand for it, and i would not take it Sitting down either.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Peabody

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 29, 2023, 10:42:40 AM
Agree and it is ridiculous that people stand up as soon as Fulham cross the halfway line, it is absolutely ridiculous, ignorant and antisocial to stand up in front of the person behind you preventing them for viewing the action and spectate showing no consideration.
In the absence of any quick fix Safe Standing has to be the answer, to allow people to sit in the seat they paid for to view the action. If any inconsiderate neanderthal stood up in front of me blocking my
Unfortunately for them i would not Stand for it, and i would not take it Sitting down either.

I did get a little fexated (is that a word?) Wooly

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Peabody on January 29, 2023, 10:51:19 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 29, 2023, 10:42:40 AM

I did get a little fexated (is that a word?) Wooly

I think the word you are thinking of Peabody is "Fixated".
Although i feel you are being harsh on yourself and my observation is that you are naturally concerned due to circumstances beyond your control at the moment.

Therefore i think there is a more appropriate word which is " absorbed " and you are not the only one.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Ashington White

But even with safe-standing you'll still have oriole standing up in front of oriole who might want to sit down.

Ashington White

Quote from: bigalffc on January 29, 2023, 10:00:35 AM
I've had this problem many times in the hammy end. Stewards should do more.

Yes I "sit" at the back of the Hammy End and it's standing for 90 minutes because the row in front are stood up...because the row in front of them are stood up, and so it goes on. It is the domino effect as someone says above.

alfie

People are not allowed to stand now, but they do.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

fulhamfever

Safe standing zones are introduced for this purpose they should buy tickets for this section if they wanna stand

bobbo

It's now already starting to happen in the new stand in lower section wher I sit . Already I don't go to very many away games because of it . The club (s) seem unable or unwilling to address it . So after attending regularly since 1958 I'm thinking I may not renew my season ticket after 46 years continuous . Sad but a fact.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Logicalman

I won't fix the problem unfortunately, it will mitigate it somewhat, but only for those that buy tickets for the standing area, and that will then depend on the location of the said area, and cost.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.