more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Merged all things Ivan Toney

Started by Ludlow Richard, May 15, 2023, 03:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somerset Fulham

Yet to be decided.

The independent Regulatory Commission's written reasons for these sanctions will be published in due course, and The FA will wait to review them before commenting further.

davew

Quote from: Andy S on May 17, 2023, 05:46:13 PM8 months starting now including the break that is not a fair punishment very lenient
If he had played for Fulham, after a VAR review he would have got 8 years!! I bet Toney is not a happy bunny, are forum members allowed to bet on here?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

davew

Brentford will probably try and sign Mitro now.  ::smile::

Baszab

Absolutely pathetic of the FA to rule the ban to commence practically on the last day of the season

Steeeeeeeeeed

When the FUN stops, Stop.

(I like how the betting firms often make the word 'FUN' in capitals like that, so subconsciously people still associate gambling with fun... Clever twisted advertising that).

fulhamtom

BBCnews just stated 8 months ban. No football until next January, didn't see that coming.

Bill2

8 months, wonder where they would be if the ban had kicked in 3 months ago? Who is good with stats around here.

junior white

So cant play till 17th Jan, so effectively a 5 month ban or so, cant train till 17th September either

Eton White

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on May 17, 2023, 06:30:10 PMWhen the FUN stops, Stop.

(I like how the betting firms often make the word 'FUN' in capitals like that, so subconsciously people still associate gambling with fun... Clever twisted advertising that).

Very true!

Also, pretending that people with a gambling addiction can just "stop" is unbelievably ignorant of them.

For his sake, I hope Ivan Toney gets some help as he obviously has a problem.

Cambridge Away

Can i just say that i dislike Ivan Toney more than i do everything else Brentford related combined. Except their announcer

BestOfBrede

It'd be interesting to see how many, if any, goals he scored against relegated sides?
Surely they would be fuming to see this decision if it affected them badly!

FFC1987

I'm sure you'll disagree Somerset, but this is a fairly poor response really. He has double the charges of other players in lower leagues and has less of the offences. The only bit I can concede here is, we know its at least 230, but we don;t know what the bets really relate to so its hard to distinguish severity. I personally don't know how much the other offenders bet offences or whether they helped in the investigation like Toney did so its not a exact science in that regard but its really difficult not to sound disheartened when what we do have, seems to suggest its one rule for elite clubs, and one rule for everyone else (which is consistent with say, FFP). Its also really difficult to not point at the fact the verdict has closed so close to season end, so a significant portion of his time will be when he'd be on holiday or at best, in a gym. Also, I don;t buy the 'he won;t be able to train etc'. You can be rest assured the club will be making sure he gets a full pre season still. They bent the rules during Covid and its almost impossible to monitor this so overall, its just a really flat verdict and belittling to other offences in lower league sides.

davew

Quote from: Bill2 on May 17, 2023, 06:35:25 PM8 months, wonder where they would be if the ban had kicked in 3 months ago? Who is good with stats around here.
I am (as a semi retired accountant) but there is a variable which cannot be evaluated, just relies on speculation. All I can say with confidence is that Brentford would have less points than they currently have if the ban had been imposed earlier as we all know it should have been.

davew

Hope he enjoys his time off and spends more time studying form, pèrhaps he might win a few quid! Sorry for the cynical comment, if, not if, as he has broken the FA betting rules over 200 times he should be kicked out of football!! No reports of any match fixing or details of what sports he was betting on, hope we get more details in the future.

Jem

From the BBC website:

His suspension starts immediately, but the 27-year-old can return to training with Brentford four months before it ends on 17 September.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

ffcthereligion

Anyone know if he can appeal? I note Barton did so successfully and got a significant reduction

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: FFC1987 on May 17, 2023, 07:11:57 PMI'm sure you'll disagree Somerset, but this is a fairly poor response really. He has double the charges of other players in lower leagues and has less of the offences. The only bit I can concede here is, we know its at least 230, but we don;t know what the bets really relate to so its hard to distinguish severity. I personally don't know how much the other offenders bet offences or whether they helped in the investigation like Toney did so its not a exact science in that regard but its really difficult not to sound disheartened when what we do have, seems to suggest its one rule for elite clubs, and one rule for everyone else (which is consistent with say, FFP). Its also really difficult to not point at the fact the verdict has closed so close to season end, so a significant portion of his time will be when he'd be on holiday or at best, in a gym. Also, I don;t buy the 'he won;t be able to train etc'. You can be rest assured the club will be making sure he gets a full pre season still. They bent the rules during Covid and its almost impossible to monitor this so overall, its just a really flat verdict and belittling to other offences in lower league sides.

I don't really disagree with anybody on this because now we have the answers it means that we are all working from a basis of truth, rather than the specualtion and conspiracies that have been flying about for months and months.

Initially I thought that the suspension running throughout the close season looked weak but after some further thought the actual knock on effects of this both personally to him and to Brentford seem pretty big to me.  Unless another club splashes out a huge amount on a guy who isn't going to play for them for x amount of time. Its possible (I think Saurez did), it is going to hit them hard.

With regard to the training / playing? Sure the club will set him a plan to follow but they won't risk arranging friendlies for him in order to get match fit, that would be madness. Teams and tactics evolve in real time and he won't be a part of that for a long period and it is going to take him time to get back up to speed with at least that.

As for the other factors that this could potentially effect, off of the top of my head I would say:

• Brentford's league standing next season
  • Brentford's transfer / FFP avaialble through not selling him
  • Toney not getting the move to a Spurs or a Chelsea that was potentially coming
  • Potential injury to the player whilst trying to get up to speed once allowed
  • Brentford's transfer policy both this window and possibly the Winter one too
I am sure that there are more.

I still don't know if that is enough or not punishmentwise, I honestly can't really work that out but those are my thoughts really.  Again, not to agree or disagree with all but the most of extreme calls.

From what I have read, FFCthereligion, there can be an appeal from both player/club and the FA (as they did with Mitro) but that would also obviously incur a risk of the suspension being extended.

Free Elvis Hammond

It's a huge blow to Brentford. I don't think anyone's got off lightly there at all

Toney will be gutted as well, apparently he had £1,000 on it being 10 months

Cambridge Away

Quote from: davew on May 17, 2023, 07:14:46 PM
Quote from: Bill2 on May 17, 2023, 06:35:25 PM8 months, wonder where they would be if the ban had kicked in 3 months ago? Who is good with stats around here.
I am (as a semi retired accountant) but there is a variable which cannot be evaluated, just relies on speculation. All I can say with confidence is that Brentford would have less points than they currently have if the ban had been imposed earlier as we all know it should have been.
Or look at it the other way, they probably would have been safe without him. Next season perhaps they will start badly and get sucked into a relegation scrap

Lester Burnham

I feel sorry for Pete Rose.