https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Merged all things Ivan Toney

Started by Ludlow Richard, May 15, 2023, 03:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blingo

All Brentford have to do is buy a striker in the next transfer window

St Eve

Oh well he got a 6 month ban and was fined a weeks salary for a gambling offense. Sorry 230 of them. Also he is arguably responsible for relegating teams, preventing teams from winning the premier league and preventing teams from getting into Europe. All seems very fair

Blawarmy

Quote from: St Eve on May 17, 2023, 11:31:04 PMOh well he got a 6 month ban and was fined a weeks salary for a gambling offense. Sorry 230 of them. Also he is arguably responsible for relegating teams, preventing teams from winning the premier league and preventing teams from getting into Europe. All seems very fair

The FA are an absolute joke

Thailand Mick

Quote from: St Eve on May 17, 2023, 11:31:04 PMOh well he got a 6 month ban and was fined a weeks salary for a gambling offense. Sorry 230 of them. Also he is arguably responsible for relegating teams, preventing teams from winning the premier league and preventing teams from getting into Europe. All seems very fair
To be fair hes probably played against all the teams since he admitted his guilt so no ones had an advantage other than Brentford themselves.Now if Brentford qualify for europe preventing another team then the FA will have a lot to answer for.

Arthur

Quote from: Blawarmy on May 18, 2023, 12:01:12 AM

The F.A. has not decided the length of the ban. It's the decision of an independent commission (as it was with Mitrovic). I'll be interested to find out what the F.A. thinks about it, but it may be no less unhappy with the outcome than you clearly are.

toshes mate

Eight month ban (effectively until late January 2024) may have seemed a little more appropriate as a deterrent had it been a whole English season but I can see the FA's problem and why one whole year's ban would have been more sensible and send a message to others breaching football's very basic bottom line agenda - you do not bet on your bread and butter employment.

Toney has been told he can train with Brentford from September. The FA have smiled upon his helpful attitude so it seems but frankly the FA have no record to be proud of when itcomes to their own discipline within let alone the manner in which they run their business externally.  They need to stop acting like a private club and start acting as a proudly efficient and effective organisation - they may become worthy of their historic roots in about twenty years' time when a new generation applies a healthier attitude to all stuff and all ways in improving the game.

Toney could have been thrown out of the game completely as an effective message about betting and so now the FA better start explaining to people like me why they didn't ban Toney for life at least back in 2017 when they had the basic evidence. A cheat is a cheat is a cheat and you cannot and should not mitigate that but then how would the FA know that?

Carborundum

What Toney did was daft, or the actions of someone in the grip of compulsive gambling, perhaps both.  He deserves a significant punishment.  If a successful player at a small/middling club can expect, on average, 5 years as a starter at the top of the pyramid, then the ban amounts to 10% of an expected top flight career.  That's punitive, but given his likely access to inside information relating to other teams, it doesn't seem outside the boundary of natural fairness

But what he didn't do, so I understand, is bet on his own games or match fixing.  Make the punishment any more severe than the one IT has received and it enables logic that runs "in which case I might as well....." and opens the door even wider for blackmail. 

toshes mate

Can we be clear headed please. 

As I understand it match fixing or tampering with games (whether a player is active in the game is irrelevant) is fraud and a crime. Toney may not have done anything quite so serious or perhaps we will never know) but the whole deterrent fix is to prevent players from the inevitable temptations if their debts grow big enough or the promises of fortune are large enough.  The FA's attack on Mitrovic was the act of deterring copycat routines elsewhere and so where was the deterrent effect back in 2017 or even now in relation to a younger and less well know Toney?  Professionals cheat and get away with it largely because of ineffectual refereeing and the cheating gets worse each time the player "wins". Other sports have also suffered match fixing because of ineffectual management of the problem at the base level. You don't stop stuff by being gentle - you stop stuff by being tough with everybody - the same standard regardless of who you are.   

Fulham33

Time to move on I feel. You could argue he got a 6 month ban - extended to 8 months to cater for summer break.
Just or unjust - matter of opinion.

Time to ignore Brentford and the FA and play more of the Fulham football we have all come to love this season.
Me, I am looking forward to Saturday and I bit the bullet and renewed season ticket for 23/4. COYW

Blawarmy

Quote from: Arthur on May 18, 2023, 06:51:12 AM

The F.A. has not decided the length of the ban. It's the decision of an independent commission (as it was with Mitrovic). I'll be interested to find out what the F.A. thinks about it, but it may be no less unhappy with the outcome than you clearly are.

How come it took them a few days to deal with mitro, yet literally months to sort out Toney since his admission of guilt? It all stinks.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Blawarmy on May 18, 2023, 12:18:00 PM

How come it took them a few days to deal with mitro, yet literally months to sort out Toney since his admission of guilt? It all stinks.

Really?!

alfie

Because he contested some of the charges, so they all had to be investigated, and I'm sure his lawyers were more than capable of delaying proceedings. Mitro fully admitted his guilt.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Ludlow Richard

A ban until mid January means he will miss around 20 PL games, plus at least one League cup tie and one FA Cup tie, plus England internationals. Is that a reasonable punishment? It's not unreasonable to me as it's in excess of what I was expecting (6 months). Where I think the regulatory commission has slipped up is on the size of the fine. £50K will be less than a week's wages and it could easily have been three times that. Finally I await with bated breath to see if the FA appeal the sentence as being "too lenient".....

We Are Premier League

2 big questions:

Can he go on loan abroad until Dec 31st, given its a FA and not FIFA suspension?

More importantly!

Can he do betting during the suspension, since he is not allowed to be part of the game at that time?

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: We Are Premier League on May 18, 2023, 02:28:06 PM2 big questions:

Can he go on loan abroad until Dec 31st, given its a FA and not FIFA suspension?

More importantly!

Can he do betting during the suspension, since he is not allowed to be part of the game at that time?

In theory he can go abroad, but the FA are talking to FIFA in order to make the ban worldwide, which there is precedent for. So ultimately he won't be able to.

No idea about the second question though!

Nick Bateman

Also the length of time taken to fully investigate Toney was surprising. In previous such betting instances they quickly found Kieren Trippier guilty of 1 betting remark, which he was fined £70,000 (more than Toney's £50,000) and banned for 8 weeks, and Daniel Sturridge was fined £150,000 for 1 betting offence, so they have been very lenient and peturbedly slow.

Now they are delaying action against Jurgen Klopp for his unjustified post-match accusations aginst Paul Tierney (in a match he won and was helped by Tierney), unlike Marco Silva's concerns about Chris Kavanagh because of recent run-ins which were controversially unfavourable to Fulham. Silva was banned for 2 games immediately, Klopp still prowls the touchline un-hinged bullying any puny 4th offcial of which the FA have as yet to protect from this Prussian maniac!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

toshes mate

He is still under an effective contract with Brentford which may contain certain limitations concerning his actions following disciplinary matters. But perhaps by going abroad whilst under contract and playing a game of football whilst suspended, would teach the FA to grow a pair. 

Rupert

Quote from: Nick Bateman on May 18, 2023, 04:11:41 PMAlso the length of time taken to fully investigate Toney was surprising. In previous such betting instances they quickly found Kieren Trippier guilty of 1 betting remark, which he was fined £70,000 (more than Toney's £50,000) and banned for 8 weeks, and Daniel Sturridge was fined £150,000 for 1 betting offence, so they have been very lenient and peturbedly slow.

Now they are delaying action against Jurgen Klopp for his unjustified post-match accusations aginst Paul Tierney (in a match he won and was helped by Tierney), unlike Marco Silva's concerns about Chris Kavanagh because of recent run-ins which were controversially unfavourable to Fulham. Silva was banned for 2 games immediately, Klopp still prowls the touchline un-hinged bullying any puny 4th offcial of which the FA have as yet to protect from this Prussian maniac!

He's a Wurrtemberger, not a Prussian. Get your facts right, Nick!
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alfie on May 18, 2023, 12:32:54 PM

Because he contested some of the charges, so they all had to be investigated, and I'm sure his lawyers were more than capable of delaying proceedings. Mitro fully admitted his guilt.

[/quote

One of his lawyers is an associate of mine and as Alfie has explained regarding the investigation as well as to the contesting of certain charges, there is a protocol and guidelines to follow which can be time consuming.
Hence the reason why it has taken as long as it has.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Somerset Fulham

The penalty dished out has nothing to do with the FA.