watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR, God save the King.

Started by Southdowns White, August 12, 2023, 11:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gang

Quote from: alfie on August 12, 2023, 12:21:47 PMWell for me Jerusalem musically wise it's so uplifting, just the title is wrong.

It was also written as a criticism of the times not a praising.

toshes mate

We live in the United K(ingdom) hence the UK Anthem. It's short especially without the verses.

Wales and Scotland sensibly chose alternatives not so many decades ago with inspiring words sung to very memorable tunes about their wonderful countries. Should England have an anthem and why not Sir Hubert Parry's 'Jerusalem' (And did those feet in ancient times ...) which really stirs the blood as to what we have in England that no one else in the Union has?

No brainer to me. 

alfie

Quote from: toshes mate on August 14, 2023, 08:08:04 AMWe live in the United K(ingdom) hence the UK Anthem. It's short especially without the verses.

Wales and Scotland sensibly chose alternatives not so many decades ago with inspiring words sung to very memorable tunes about their wonderful countries. Should England have an anthem and why not Sir Hubert Parry's 'Jerusalem' (And did those feet in ancient times ...) which really stirs the blood as to what we have in England that no one else in the Union has?

No brainer to me. 
That was my choice, but see previous post that it was written as a criticism not in praise of the times, still find it uplifting, you can really get your voice going on with this.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

jarv

Royals, bunch of scroungers on the tax payer, undeserving of any song.  Yes, the sond does need to change, there have been many suggestions on here. Many good ones.

Holders

Jerusalem or Tulips from Amsterdam, New York New York, Paris in the Springtime... the list of risible alternatives is endless.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

hovewhite

Shame the pistols can't reform and do an update of good save the queen

Grassy Noel

As a FOF I suggest a cockney medley...any old iron?,Lambeth walk and my old man said follow the van.

hovewhite

Not a royalist so anything is better than there anthem.

Cobh Fulham Fan

Since this thread topic seems to be regurgitated annually, wouldn't it make sense for someone here to organise a proper song/anthem contest to come up with a proper newly worded tune. 

Perhaps one thats more appropriate to sporting occasions, than conflict/war. Maybe the contents could include famous football clubs from the south -east, north and west of the county, but not leaving out the oldest and best club in London. 

then, if such a decent and appropriate winning song can be developed on paper, I'm sure there's enough active minds using this site that might have some contacts in the music world, an artist/singer or band member who might come up with an appropriate tune to match the words.

Dont look at me folks to organise it, I'm Irish. If you follow our rugby internationals youll find that we are more Fu.ked up than you guys as we have to sing for two anthems!

Holders

Quote from: Cobh Fulham Fan on August 14, 2023, 10:31:46 AMSince this thread topic seems to be regurgitated annually, wouldn't it make sense for someone here to organise a proper song/anthem contest to come up with a proper newly worded tune. 

Perhaps one thats more appropriate to sporting occasions, than conflict/war. Maybe the contents could include famous football clubs from the south -east, north and west of the county, but not leaving out the oldest and best club in London. 

then, if such a decent and appropriate winning song can be developed on paper, I'm sure there's enough active minds using this site that might have some contacts in the music world, an artist/singer or band member who might come up with an appropriate tune to match the words.

Dont look at me folks to organise it, I'm Irish. If you follow our rugby internationals youll find that we are more Fu.ked up than you guys as we have to sing for two anthems!

Yeah but Athenry is stirring and evocative. The only reference to football is "on the wing"!

Lighthouse

Well my obsession with Band Maid goes to them having a song that would fit our National Anthem,

The  words are ' I Hate You, I Hate You,I Hate you (Repeat) I don't care if you die out.

This would be my entry on their behalf.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

roberto w6

Does it really matter? I don't think people care about this kind of pomp and ceremony as much as in generations gone by.

Most people alive today were at least in their 20s when rock'n roll/pop music came onto the scene, and those who are younger have had it as the background music to everyday life ever since. If anybody does care enough to adopt a more upbeat tune that resonates with most of the population there have been enough mega-successful tunes from top English musicians in this life time to find a contender.

In chronological order (and not exclusively) there will be inoffensive uplifting quintessentially English tunes that would fit the bill from Cliff Richard, Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Bowie, Roxy Music, Slade, ELO, Clash, Madness, Oasis, Blur etc. I'm missing lots of great artists out but if it changes let's go for a "pop" song that means something to most people.

Southcoastffc

Obviously, there is only one real contender.  Tuneful, easy to sing, inoffensive and contemporary lyrics:

You're just too good to be true
Can't take my eyes off of you
You'd be like Heaven to touch
I wanna hold you so much
At long last, love has arrived
And I thank God I'm alive

Pardon the way that I stare
There's nothin' else to compare
The sight of you leaves me weak
There are no words left to speak
But if you feel like I feel
Please let me know that it's real

I love you, baby
And if it's quite alright
I need you, baby
To warm the lonely night
I love you, baby
Trust in me when I say
Oh, pretty baby
Don't bring me down, I pray
Oh, pretty baby
Now that I've found you, stay
And let me love you, baby
Let me love you

You'd be like Heaven to touch
I wanna hold you so much
At long last, love has arrived
And I thank God I'm alive
Can't take my eyes off you

I love you, baby
And if it's quite alright
I need you, baby
To warm the lonely night
I love you, baby
Trust in me when I say
Oh, pretty baby
Don't bring me down, I pray
Oh, pretty baby
Now that I've found you, stay
Oh, pretty baby
Trust in me when I say
Oh, pretty baby
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Grassy Noel

It does not need to be a recent pop song as long as the words can be sung  unaccompanied satisfactorily by a large group of people .
Some pop songs cannot e.g. Sweet Caroline. Some can e.g. You'll never walk alone.
Here is the chorus of an oldie that could be related to sport and even to supportership.

Keep right on to the end of the road,
Keep right on to the end,
If the way be long, let your heart be strong,
Keep right on round the bend.
If you're tired and weary still journey on,
Till you come to your happy abode,
Where all you love that you're dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.

toshes mate

Interpretations of words is pure opinion and taste.  There will never be something that pleases everyone.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the words to Jerusalem as a national anthem, nothing.  And it is a pleasure to actually sing it (unlike the current English choice which is often reduced to a dirge when it isn't meant to be, and vice versa).

As for pop songs et al are you people for real or just having a laugh? 

Gustav Holst a Hammersmith local lad who lived in Brook Green wrote the Planet Suite amongst much else. His piece named Jupiter contains a wonderful bridge to the main theme which was nominated as potential music for an anthem in the vein of (but different to) Elgar's Land of Hope and Glory. Holst was quite humbled for reasons which requires knowing something about his background but it is a great tune to sing words to.   

Holders

There will never be something that pleases everyone but at least there should be something that offends no-one. To begin with, in a country which is 52.8pc non-christian (as per the last census) it should at least be secular. Jerusalem does not fit that.