watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR, God save the King.

Started by Southdowns White, August 12, 2023, 11:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southdowns White

Just watching the England team singing the British national anthem. Isn't it about time we replaced the dirge 'God save our King' for something uplifting that reflects England as a nation. Every other country in the world has it's own national anthem, why do we not have one.
I've thought for many years we need our own national anthem not just today, the words need to reflect all that's good about England and not how we should respect our gracious leaders or god.
I am very much a proud Englishman, although way back have Irish, French and Eastern European ancestors.
What do you lot think about our anthem?

General

Eurgh, we have this conversation it feels yearly, and this year and last year far more often. Can we have a break from it? Essentially people on this board are split in whatever way between seeing the royal family as a net positive vs a net negative for the country. No one will really find a middle ground and that's the same conversation ad infinitum.

Lazybones

England has no national anthem of its own (cf. "Flower of Scotland", "Land of My Fathers", etc.). 

England uses the national anthem of the United Kingdon as its own:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Save_the_King

As an Australian, it probably doesn't matter what I think about it. "God Save Our Queen" used to be our national anthem, but was replaced by "Advance Australia Fair" when I was ten. I'm glad we now have our own, although "Waltzing Matilda" and "I am, You are, We are Australian" tug at my heart strings more than the official one.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes GSTK is a complete and utter dirge, singing about one privileged individual.
The England national anthem should be about our country.
As you have said everyone else has their own national anthem accept us.
GSTK is uninspiring dirge that is why sports teams do not want to sing it, why would they.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

WhiteJC

alfie

Well for me Jerusalem musically wise it's so uplifting, just the title is wrong.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

cmg

Quote from: Lazybones on August 12, 2023, 11:58:04 AMAs an Australian, it probably doesn't matter what I think about it. "God Save Our Queen" used to be our national anthem, but was replaced by "Advance Australia Fair" when I was ten. I'm glad we now have our own, although "Waltzing Matilda" and "I am, You are, We are Australian" tug at my heart strings more than the official one.

I've always thought the Aussies missed a trick, perhaps showed an uncharacteristic lack of confidence, in passing on Waltzing Matilda in favour of the official, rather bland, composition.
I'll never forget 75 year old Slim Dusty closing the Sydney Olympics.
Even had Kylie giving it large.

Southdowns White

Quote from: General on August 12, 2023, 11:57:56 AMEurgh, we have this conversation it feels yearly, and this year and last year far more often. Can we have a break from it? Essentially people on this board are split in whatever way between seeing the royal family as a net positive vs a net negative for the country. No one will really find a middle ground and that's the same conversation ad infinitum.
With all respect, I think you have missed the point, it might help if you answer the question and add a point of view that reflects your own position on that question.

Lazybones

Quote from: WhiteJC on August 12, 2023, 12:10:36 PMland of hope & glory?
I don't have a vote, but if I did, I'd vote for this before "Rule Britannia", "I Vow to Thee, My Country" or "Jerusalem". 

General

Quote from: Southdowns White on August 12, 2023, 12:23:05 PM
Quote from: General on August 12, 2023, 11:57:56 AMEurgh, we have this conversation it feels yearly, and this year and last year far more often. Can we have a break from it? Essentially people on this board are split in whatever way between seeing the royal family as a net positive vs a net negative for the country. No one will really find a middle ground and that's the same conversation ad infinitum.
With all respect, I think you have missed the point, it might help if you answer the question and add a point of view that reflects your own position on that question.

I have, we all have, time and again. That's the point.

Lazybones

Quote from: cmg on August 12, 2023, 12:22:39 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on August 12, 2023, 11:58:04 AMAs an Australian, it probably doesn't matter what I think about it. "God Save Our Queen" used to be our national anthem, but was replaced by "Advance Australia Fair" when I was ten. I'm glad we now have our own, although "Waltzing Matilda" and "I am, You are, We are Australian" tug at my heart strings more than the official one.
I've always thought the Aussies missed a trick, perhaps showed an uncharacteristic lack of confidence, in passing on Waltzing Matilda in favour of the official, rather bland, composition.
I'll never forget 75 year old Slim Dusty closing the Sydney Olympics.
Even had Kylie giving it large.

I agree. Our courage failed us, plus (perhaps) anxiety about a national anthem that celebrates theft, dog's abuse for the police and suicide ;-)

filham

I Vow To Thee My Country, more inspiring and a great tune.

Holders

It's a dreary, uninspiring dirge certainly, extolling concepts that most/many of us don't believe in, but we have this conversation each year and get nowhere.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: filham on August 12, 2023, 02:27:26 PMI Vow To Thee My Country, more inspiring and a great tune.

I don't, above all earthly things. There are far more important issues.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

_Putney_

H4usuallysitting

Agadoo.... that'll send us into battle

legana

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 12, 2023, 02:52:15 PMAgadoo.... that'll send us into battle

I'll second that - how many more supporters do we need for this to be discussed in Parliament?!

Do agree GSTK should be replaced though. Land of Hope and Glory is a good idea or Jerusalem.

Colton F.C.

Steeeeeeeeeed

"Everyday is like Sunday" by Morrissey would make a perfect English national anthem

cmg

And for those nostalgic for the glory (or should that be gory?) days of the 80s.

"This Is England" - The Clash

...maybe not.