News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are we gonna be in a relegation battle this season ?

Started by perry geyton, November 09, 2023, 08:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perry geyton

I think we'll be OK personally BUT if Joa leaves in Jan which I suspect he may "hopefully Bayern have realized they don't need him now"  it's gonna get really tricky

filham

Unless we increase our goal scoring rate a definite yes.

SP

FishaPrice

Yes - if we continue to struggle scoring. If we remedy that, then we will be fine.

C Block

It would be extremely naive to either think or suggest that we're not already involved in a relegation battle,
If you don't score and you make mistakes at the back you are going to struggle and there's nothing much we can do about it until January by which time we'll almost certainly be bottom 4.

SuffolkWhite

Not sure we will be, but will have a more definite opinion after the January transfer window.

We need a Striker, Defensive Mid and maybe another Centre back.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

St Eve

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on November 09, 2023, 09:36:20 PMNot sure we will be, but will have a more definite opinion after the January transfer window.

We need a Striker, Defensive Mid and maybe another Centre back.
Not sure we need another center back, we have Ream, Diop, Shirley, Tosin and Fig roll

Somerset Fulham

Nope.

The strength of our squad will begin to show as thinner squads tire.  This won't be a stellar season by any account, but we will be comfortable.

Whitestone

It depends what your view of a relegation battle is. I'm confident we'll be safe this season but we're unlikely to be safe as early as we were last season. The squad is lacking quality in attacking areas which need addressing in January. If the club sort that out and retain Palhinha things could be more comfortable.

bobbo

It's a fair possibility , but of course it's still quite early in the season . As already pointed out we're not scoring freely and that's quite serious , but who knows what or who Marco has his eyes on for January window. We need a couple of players similar to what Brentford have ie wissa and mbueno. They are missing Toney but not as much as we are missing mitro.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Twig

I think we will stay up and I don't think we will be embroiled in a "battle". However if Joao leaves at Christmas then I do think we will complete the season with an eye over our shoulder looking at results below us.
I don't see us radically improving our goal scoring until next season, the winter transfer window is notoriously difficult. Consequently we need a strong defence to enable us to grind out low scoring wins and draws. Palhinha is vital to that defensive effort.

Fulham Tup North

::scarf:: I'm with Twig... we won't go down but once Palhinha leaves in January we will struggle...
We need an out and out striker....
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

ChesterTheTabby

It's a not so distant possibility when keep losing games like we did to United and dropping needless points in the dying embers of a game.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

fancyfeet4

Yes its true, we cant score. And its probably not getting completely solved during the next window, but we have solid bones and play well enough to stay up.  It just wont be as satisfying as last season.

Two examples (IMO) are Palace and Wolves. They have shown you dont need goals to stay up - and quite comfortably.

• Last season Wolves scored 31 goals and finsihed 13th.  Palace scored 40 and were 11th
  • 2 seasons ago Wolves scored 38 and finished 10th.

We have a solid goalie, CDM, a great manager and a lot of "pros" on our team.  Not a team filled with 20 year olds learning the game.  I think we will be fine, even though it wont be as fun as last year.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: filham on November 09, 2023, 09:07:31 PMUnless we increase our goal scoring rate a definite yes.
I agree filham. I've suggested we play two strikers. My math 2 average strikers = 1 good striker.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

The Rational Fan

Our squad is currently much too good to get relegated for the 23/24 season, but given we have older players are reaching their used by date, younger players with contracts ending soon and a balance sheet with limited capacity for transfers, we will be relegated soon unless we focus our planning for future seasons.

Woolly Mammoth

A week is a long time in football and you never know what is round the corner.
Currently at the moment there are warning signs that we could flirt with relegation seeing as we are capable of losing to anyone on the Premier League.
Firing blanks up front and conceding avoidable goals against are the ingredients for a team to slip the the trap door whilst sleep walking on and off the pitch.
A long injury list including key players could take its toll.
Loss of form and has a roll to play as does the game management of Marco Silva who i think gets off lightly considering our system of play is slow, tedious, dire and predictable and also has an annoying habit of bringing on subs far too late especially when we are struggling to get back into the game, that costs points.
On the other hand the key will be how active Fulham are in the transfer market in January, providing the owners son can be prised away from his play station for five minutes.
We need to bring in quality not deadwood. That means opening up Fulhams Fat Wallet from the sale of Mitrovic, providing Palhinha does not leave, we need a striker, and an attacking midfielder who is a midfield general and playmaker who can create, and a winger who is quick and a centre back who will master the defence with genuine leadership, because we are currently short of Leaders in the defence and pace has to be introduced.
Add that to injuries being fairly kind to us, then we stand a good chance of having a much better chance of a mid table finish.
But let us not feel too comfortable because matches v Luton Town and Nottingham Forest for example will be no picnic.
They are both capable of rolling us over on any given day with their home support added to the equation is worth a point.
Whereas our home support needs to step up a gear and ramp up the noise and become more partisan as it makes a difference to a player's commitment and adrenaline in the heat and atmosphere on the field of battle.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Thailand Mick

We will be in a relegation battle every season until we bridge that gap to the top teams. We may well have a good season like last year but as soon as the next season starts we are back in that battle. I look at Aston Villa and where they are now(Arguably top 5 performing) after four years back in the premier league and this is where we should be aiming for.

JimmyConway

With what we have currently I can see us flip flopping between 15th - 17th at least until end of January. I just don't see us getting that surprise point or three? Home games up until Christmas crucial. Of the four games we need a decent return of points. Such a shame we did not build on last season.