News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are we gonna be in a relegation battle this season ?

Started by perry geyton, November 09, 2023, 08:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drewry66

Talk about the perfect time to play Newcastle. They have been woeful. Watch Brighton be knackered tomorrow and Villa still have a stormer against us. My god we need to start showing something soon.

SP

If Bournemouth win tonight I think that's the bottom three confirmed for the season.

Luton have some fight in them but don't have a great deal of depth to their squad.

KentFulham

Quote from: Palhinha Colada on November 11, 2023, 06:58:00 PMWe should finish ahead of all three promoted sides, who all look pretty dire, but it's fairly inexcusable for us to be in this position after last season.

Hopefully we add a couple attacking pieces in January and kick on from there, but ...

It is criminal. To think we are paying inflated prices for this crap!

perry geyton

Quote from: SP on November 11, 2023, 07:07:00 PMIf Bournemouth win tonight I think that's the bottom three confirmed for the season.

Luton have some fight in them but don't have a great deal of depth to their squad.
One of them will pull their heads out of their arse, mark my words !

Rambler

Caedal

We have two major problems

1) we never look like scoring
2) we gift opposition goals from mistakes.

Generally teams who do those things find themselves in a relegation battle.

Given our position in the table we might struggle to attract players in January, so hopefully the recruitment team is on it.

Somerset Fulham

We've played 12 games and at least a quarter of those are the hardest games that any side will play this entire season. 

We still have players recovering from a crap pre-season but are beginning to show signs of getting back to where they should be and we also do have a minor injury crisis going on.

Can we do better? For sure we can and we will. There is no need for pearl clutching at this point.

copthornemike

Simple observation for some perspective.
Bottom three clubs (Burnley, Luton, Sheff Utd) came up from the Championship.
Next three (ourselves, Forest & Bournemouth) came up the previous year.

Neutral Zone Ultra

We are in serious trouble, and I have been saying this since the summer when it was clear our transfer business was seriously deficient and had left us with a weakened squad. This problem will only worsen in January when Palhinha will be sold, Ballo Touré, Bassey and Iwobi will be away at AFCON, and we will invariably dither in bringing anyone in until the last minute on deadline day. We play Everton, Burnley and Bournemouth in a three game run from 30 January, which could make or break. Do I have confidence we will be in a strong position to take them on? Given past evidence I'm not convinced...

davew

On our performances so far this season, yes we will be in a relegation battle and with a few teams at the bottom showing some improvement e.g. Bournemouth, Wolves, Everton and Sheffield Utd we could be in trouble by the end of 2023. Unlikely to get any points tomorrow so hopefully West Ham v Forest will be a draw.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Jules

We are in a relegation battle, there is no doubt. We need to pick up points. Tomorrow wil be tough but wolves and Burnley at home are must wins to get us away from the bottom 3. Getting worried now.

filham

We are in the bottom six with the next match away to an in form Villa. Best recognise that as being in the relegation fight otherwise before we know whats happening we will be in the bottom three.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: demeant0r on November 10, 2023, 07:12:18 PMIf we get relegated when we have Burnley, SU and Luton then I'll eat my hat. I don't own one but I'll buy one and eat it.

Then prepare to eat your hat.
May i recommend a Top Hat, or a Sombrero, or one of those cowboy ten gallon hats on a two pint head you see in westerns.
You can get your teeth into any of those three.
Then for desert i recommend a Deep Sea Diving Helmet.  🦣

Please let me know which one you will choose to eat.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Willham

My biggest worry has been an over confidence in the squad, and I think we're walking a tightrope.

Two incidents that have been in the back of my mind, I remember my home town hull city, sitting very comfortably in the championship with a few in January looking to try and nab a play off place come end of season, j bowen had smashed goals for them previous years and even signed a new contract to stay an extra bit. Now agreed hull had to sell bowen at some point and I agree it looked the best/safest time for it, off he goes for a load of money to west ham. Hull fail to win any games in the second half of the season (or maybe 1, I can't remember fully) and off they go to league 1. It was an unbelievable turn around of fortunes, but hull completely relied on bowen and no replacement came in.

Leeds are the second example in my head, great first year in the prem, no body thought they could get relegated the second, so leeds sell to make some of the money back that got them in that position thinking they had enough about them to stay up the next season, and another finds themselves in the championship.

We are not too good for relegation - the list is endless for teams too good for relegation. We are very much in the mix and the sooner we realise that and find ways to improve the better.

Matt10

We have only scored 9 goals in the season. This reminds me all too much of our relegation season in 2020. Not scoring enough goals. I hope Silva realizes soon that the wingers, who are taking all the shots, are letting us down badly.

Chi_FFC

Quote from: Willham on November 11, 2023, 10:57:09 PMLeeds are the second example in my head, great first year in the prem, no body thought they could get relegated the second

And they weren't.

Lester Burnham

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on November 09, 2023, 09:44:32 PMNope.

The strength of our squad will begin to show as thinner squads tire.  This won't be a stellar season by any account, but we will be comfortable.
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on November 09, 2023, 11:08:18 PM*maths
With 3 US born and raised children, I have brought up this very issue; is it 'math or maths'? It got to the point of involving their teachers. Because of the vitriolic abuse I have suffered over the years from said children and 'teachers', in defending our English language, for the sake of my grandchildren, I have to defer. 😢😉

SG

I said on another thread we are sliding down the table and I see nothing to arrest our slide. Yesterday's results confirm my fears that we are going to be in a relegation battle. We appear to have less fight and little press on the opposition. Our failure to score goals or even create chances means that one defensive slip or one bit of skill from the opposition and we face an uphill battle in every game.
Silva doesn't know his best team and some of his tactics bemuse me. For example he signs Iwobi - his man - yet hardly plays him and then has him in and out of the side.
I think we are being very foolish if we take comfort from the bottom three's performances to date. They will begin to pick up points as they become more familiar with this league. Take Luton, deserved to win against Liverpool and only a narrow defeat at OT.
Unless Silva adapts his tactics so that this team carries a much greater goal threat then we are in for a difficult few months

JimmyConway

It was pretty inevitable that we would get closer to the bottom three. The results yesterday ramp the pressure up further. Forget about who we might or might not sign January. The most important part of the first half of the season is coming up with the home games we have before Christmas. That will be a good Barometer to how our season will pan out.
What we must also bear in mind huge drop off in form from certain individuals like Pereira Willian Ream who were all excellent last season let alone the elephant in the room Mitrovic?
Need to get the likes of Tete and Tosin back in the team to strengthen us defensively until the New Year.

JEEVES

Quote from: Chi_FFC on November 12, 2023, 12:00:47 AM
Quote from: Willham on November 11, 2023, 10:57:09 PMLeeds are the second example in my head, great first year in the prem, no body thought they could get relegated the second

And they weren't.

Haha beat me to it, they stayed up.