News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are we gonna be in a relegation battle this season ?

Started by perry geyton, November 09, 2023, 08:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

It does look like we are in a bit of trouble. January window is awful for bringing in quality needed when in the bottom 6.  We have, however, been very unlucky with a run of games against top teams, losing a couple  in the last minute and as usual, var has done us no favours so far this season. Cost us 3 points.  A draw which should have been a win and a loss which should have been a draw.

Karlos

When we decided as a club not to push on in the summer then it was inevitable we'd be we're we are - if you don't go forward you go backwards

Luckily this season Luton, Sheffield Utd and Burnley all look like they lack any quality and so we will at least finish above these

wback

Quote from: jarv on November 12, 2023, 08:11:20 AMIt does look like we are in a bit of trouble. January window is awful for bringing in quality needed when in the bottom 6.  We have, however, been very unlucky with a run of games against top teams, losing a couple  in the last minute and as usual, var has done us no favours so far this season. Cost us 3 points.  A draw which should have been a win and a loss which should have been a draw.

Bottom 6 is usually hard to recruit, but if we're 6-10 points ahead of the bottom 3 on Jan 1st (perfectly possible) and/or Everton lose 12 points, it'll be much easier, as players joining know they'll very likely get a full 24/25 season (the teams likely to be promoted from the Championship this year will make it much more competitive next, though I'm getting way, way, ahead of myself).

cookieg

I think it needs to be a damage limitation exercise until the January window then spend what we need to to get a striker who at least knows where the back of the net is. Easier said than done but hopefully MS knows who he wants.

The whole Mitro and MS thing certainly put the club in a bit of a spin over the summer and put the club on hold but MS has signed a contract now and so that stability is there from a managerial point of view so hopefully should make signing players a bit easier although I think a few loan options will arrive to see us through until summer before any big spending is done.

SP

I've read a few references to the quality of the teams to be promoted from the Championship this season. On what basis do we think the likes of Leicester, Ipswich & Leeds will be an improvement on last years teams?

Twig

Quote from: Lester Burnham on November 12, 2023, 01:41:00 AM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on November 09, 2023, 09:44:32 PMNope.

The strength of our squad will begin to show as thinner squads tire.  This won't be a stellar season by any account, but we will be comfortable.
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on November 09, 2023, 11:08:18 PM*maths
With 3 US born and raised children, I have brought up this very issue; is it 'math or maths'? It got to the point of involving their teachers. Because of the vitriolic abuse I have suffered over the years from said children and 'teachers', in defending our English language, for the sake of my grandchildren, I have to defer. 😢😉

I think the way to look at it is to ask oneself which version of the full word you would use. Mathematics or mathematic? I think it's pretty clear that everyone would say mathematics, therefore the abbreviated version should be maths not math.

toshes mate

Math is a middle english inclusive word for science (all) and not for mathematics alone. It means to do the science and uncover the theory behind something.

filham

This morning we are in the bottom five, with three to go down that means we are in the relegation battle. Sorry but we should face facts.

Jimmy Hill

Yes if we don't get as many points as the teams bellow us

LittleErn

Quote from: toshes mate on November 12, 2023, 11:46:53 AMMath is a middle english inclusive word for science (all) and not for mathematics alone. It means to do the science and uncover the theory behind something.

what do you mean by "middle" English? What are your sources please?

LittleErn

perry geyton

SP

Not a coincidence I think that the bottom six clubs are the most recently promoted sides.

wback

Quote from: SP on November 12, 2023, 10:25:28 AMI've read a few references to the quality of the teams to be promoted from the Championship this season. On what basis do we think the likes of Leicester, Ipswich & Leeds will be an improvement on last years teams?

Ipswich not so much, but Leicester kept some decent players, as did Leeds. With the right approach, and some muscle memory, I'd expect them to to be stronger than Luton and Sheff Utd are this season.

SP

Quote from: wback on November 13, 2023, 12:22:42 AM
Quote from: SP on November 12, 2023, 10:25:28 AMI've read a few references to the quality of the teams to be promoted from the Championship this season. On what basis do we think the likes of Leicester, Ipswich & Leeds will be an improvement on last years teams?

Ipswich not so much, but Leicester kept some decent players, as did Leeds. With the right approach, and some muscle memory, I'd expect them to to be stronger than Luton and Sheff Utd are this season.

Watching today's Championship game, 5th at home to 1st, I'm still not convinced this years promoted clubs will be an improvement.

Leicester, currently top of the table, look like a well organised team but no more.

perry geyton

Quote from: Karlos on November 12, 2023, 08:12:50 AMWhen we decided as a club not to push on in the summer then it was inevitable we'd be we're we are - if you don't go forward you go backwards

Luckily this season Luton, Sheffield Utd and Burnley all look like they lack any quality and so we will at least finish above these
Not sure what you mean by this we made some good signings, losing a irreplaceable striker late on is just horrible luck, supporters need to be aware that the Khans are not magicians

davew

Quote from: SP on November 12, 2023, 10:04:00 PMNot a coincidence I think that the bottom six clubs are the most recently promoted sides.
When did Everton get promoted or have I missed something?  ::wink::
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

ianthailand

Quote from: wback on November 13, 2023, 12:22:42 AM

Ipswich have good financial backing, great management, very promising head coach, 30,000 crowds and plans for expansion/upgrading of Portman Road. Will be a good addition to PL if promoted.

Karlos

Quote from: perry geyton on December 02, 2023, 04:44:40 PM
Quote from: Karlos on November 12, 2023, 08:12:50 AMWhen we decided as a club not to push on in the summer then it was inevitable we'd be we're we are - if you don't go forward you go backwards

Not sure what you mean by this we made some good signings, losing a irreplaceable striker late on is just horrible luck, supporters need to be aware that the Khans are not magicians

I mean our starting 11 is weaker this year than last years, I'm not Khan bashing but to keep progressing you need to be improving your team

Woolly Mammoth

Well we have a game to win today and that is what i am concentrating on.
A good resilient performance and a result will be great for moral, team spirit and confidence.
Anyone feeling that we can afford to lose this one as long as we win the next has no idea about the mechanics of football on and off the pitch and are living in the land of the cuckoo.
To be consistent you have to have good habits and the best habit is to pick up points on a regular basis.
You cannot turn it on and off when you feel like it.
Even glorious defeat is better than throwing the towel in before you enter the ring.
Whatever happens today in the cauldron of Anfield, we have to give it our best shot by selecting our strongest team and then it is down to the players and game management.
Can you imagine what it would feel like to the players, manager and the fans if we gave Liverpool a bloody nose.
That will have a positive effect on the next performance.
It can also show which players have the strongest mentality and who are the rabbits.
So my timid friends who think it is acceptable to accept a defeat because it is Anfield, come out from behind your wife's apron strings and man up.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.