more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Norway flag day at Craven Cottage..?

Started by LBNo11, July 24, 2011, 09:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

Quote from: FFC Me on July 26, 2011, 12:33:42 PM
Whilst I can understand the sentiment in doing this, to me I feel it may come across to others as us saying 'oh arnt we a great bunch' Are those affected in Norway actually going to see any of this or care about it? All these fivers spent on flags could have been better placed in a fund for the victims families, something which could actually make a difference. No matter what we do, thankfully we are unlikely to ever feel thier pain. I hope im wrong but I cant see what good it will achive dispite the best intensions.

Fair comments FFC Me, but if the response from the half a dozen Norwegian FOFF members is anything to go by, it will be well received in Norway. We're certainly not trying to smuggly blow our own trumpets, but I can see how it might come over that way. For me, I wouldn't do it if we did not have any Norwegian players. But we have 3 great professionals who are all Norwegian. We must have more than, or as many as, any other team in the Premiership. I think it reflects well on FFC fans that they are not just sitting by and saying 'what's the point?', they're doing something.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

ImperialWhite

We have three Norwegian players (one of whom I imagine will be remembered for a long time by Fulham fans) - if it shows that we care then it  is worthwhile doing.

finnster01

This is the least we can do. Given our strong Scandinavian support, the players, etc. This was a crime against humanity as a whole, and if we can not show our support and respect then something is very wrong with us.

COYW!!
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Papa

Fantastic idea. I support it wholeheartedly and have just bought two flags.

FFC Me

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on July 26, 2011, 01:06:50 PM
Whilst I can understand the sentiment in doing this, to me I feel it may come across to others as us saying 'oh arnt we a great bunch' Are those affected in Norway actually going to see any of this or care about it? All these fivers spent on flags could have been better placed in a fund for the victims families, something which could actually make a difference. No matter what we do, thankfully we are unlikely to ever feel thier pain. I hope im wrong but I cant see what good it will achive dispite the best intensions.

Negative, negative, negative.

It will not bring anyone back, but it could help to heal the pain that many are feeling.

If something terrible happened to you, would you not be happy if someone randomly came up to you on the street and offered you a show of support?

Given the comments from those who have spoken to people in Norway then hopefully it will be seen in the way it is intended. I personally feel that a donantion to any charity for the benifit of those effected would be a better choice, however everyone has thier own views.

The second point you made, I have been through something horrible in the past 2 years which made the papers, as much as the ramdom persons intentions were good, all they did was upset my young daughter more. As I have said, nothing against those who think it is a good idea, the intentions are good, just trying to give the other side without the mud slinging

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: FFC Me on July 26, 2011, 03:09:07 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on July 26, 2011, 01:06:50 PM

Negative, negative, negative.

It will not bring anyone back, but it could help to heal the pain that many are feeling.

If something terrible happened to you, would you not be happy if someone randomly came up to you on the street and offered you a show of support?

Given the comments from those who have spoken to people in Norway then hopefully it will be seen in the way it is intended. I personally feel that a donantion to any charity for the benifit of those effected would be a better choice, however everyone has thier own views.

The second point you made, I have been through something horrible in the past 2 years which made the papers, as much as the ramdom persons intentions were good, all they did was upset my young daughter more. As I have said, nothing against those who think it is a good idea, the intentions are good, just trying to give the other side without the mud slinging

This is one of the few occasions where money is not needed, so I cant quite see the donation to charity angle.

Fair enough for giving the other side, but it just seems like a nice thing to do that shows humanity, rather than just dismissing it out of hand because some people see it as naff (not saying you are doing this)

FFC Me

on the money side, this was just normall kids, not just those of the rich. There is a cost to the funerals etc but more so to the parents of those who have been killed. If it was my own flesh and blood im not sure that I would cope let alone be able to carry on with work. This could have further repricasions for the family members who have already been put through hell.

RidgeRider

at the end of the day there are always channels to show your support. The flags are a heartfelt gesture of solidarity and compassion as would any donation be to off-set the enormous costs of burying so many victims. Both choices are good ones and in my opinion, neither should be questioned as to what impact they may have or if one is better than the other, they are just choices

Bilet

I think the gesture here is fitting. This is just my point of view. A charity and donations of money is not what is needed now. A act of sympathy and fellow understanding is what we should want to show.

theo

Like RidgeRider said, there's no wrong or right way to show your support when it comes to either showing flags or giving money.

And I am certain that the gesture with the flags won't be taken the wrong way by people in Norway. As many people, including myself, have said, it is something that shows humanity and solidarity and fits in with the general feeling of love and compassion that permeates Norway right now.

Wish

Great gesture and I 100% support it. Unfortunately I cannot make it to either game so please make sure lots of photos are available.

Mitch

HammyH3

nevzter

Quote from: Mitch on July 26, 2011, 06:54:53 PM
http://gunkies.org/blog/?p=91 Can suggest you read this. A first hand account.

Too heartbreaking for additional words.

And my initial offer stands - if anybody wants to carry a flag into the Cottage, please PM me.
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

theo

Magnus Eliassen og Kråkesølv «Til dem du e glad i» this is more for the Norwegians on here, beautiful song. "Tell the ones you love" is the translation of the title. Written after the attacks.

Yarden

As I have told LB i have contacted a Norwegian newspaper called "Dagbladet" about this. They seemed interested and will probably make a story out of it. So get this out to as many as possible so we get alot of flags. I`m sure Hangeland and the Riise guys would really appeciate this!

I feel really bad I can`t be there myself since i got work in Norway on thursday so there is no way I`m going to make it. But I`m going to watch you all online on stream!

FFC Norway

As the leader of the norwegian supporters club, I was interviewed by dagbladet this morning. They will also interviw LBNo11. Will post the link when the story is out.

I cant make the split game, but I`m over for the villa game.

Yarden

Quote from: FFC Norway on July 27, 2011, 02:14:47 PM
As the leader of the norwegian supporters club, I was interviewed by dagbladet this morning. They will also interviw LBNo11. Will post the link when the story is out.

I cant make the split game, but I`m over for the villa game.

+1 Good to see they did the story!

olly101

I will be at the Split game with a Norwegian flag. A great idea this all is, especially as we have the most Norwegian players in the league out of all the clubs

olly101

Just so we can get a rough idea on numbers so far - who will, 100% at this point, be at the Split game and have a Norwegian flag?

( I might take a few flags to hand out)