watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Norway flag day at Craven Cottage..?

Started by LBNo11, July 24, 2011, 09:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...first of all welcome to FoF olly101; My flag arrives on Monday 1st August (I hope) I will definately be taking it for the Villa game, but not sure about the RNK Split match yet.

It is difficult to gauge, but I don't expect there to be much more than 50 flags, that should be enough to show our Norwegian players that some of us share their grief - if there are more it will be fantastic...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

BestOfBrede

Quote from: LBNo11 on July 27, 2011, 05:58:41 PM
...first of all welcome to FoF olly101; My flag arrives on Monday 1st August (I hope) I will definately be taking it for the Villa game, but not sure about the RNK Split match yet.

It is difficult to gauge, but I don't expect there to be much more than 50 flags, that should be enough to show our Norwegian players that some of us share their grief - if there are more it will be fantastic...
I wish I could be there - I would definately support this gesture.
I understand where some feel it's not the best way to show solidarity, but after seeing all the people in Oslo coming out to stand together, I think this will show they're not alone.
A minutes silence, before kick-off, wouldn't go amiss and even candles - although the Thames breeze would probably kill that idea!

Scrumpy

Quote from: olly101 on July 27, 2011, 05:31:28 PM
Just so we can get a rough idea on numbers so far - who will, 100% at this point, be at the Split game and have a Norwegian flag?

( I might take a few flags to hand out)
Yep - me and 3 others going with 2 flags between us. I think handing out flags is a nice idea.

Have a look through previous posts to get an idea of numbers. I'm not sure everyone will dip back into this thread to confirm that they're going or not.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Airfix

theo

Will be there with two norwegian friends and two flags between us, on Riverside.

Tina

Hello there

I have 2 5x3ft flags, one will be with me in H6 (behind the stairs) and other in H5 (lower section) with a friend for the Split game

Yarden

http://www.dagbladet.no/2011/07/28/sport/premier_league/fulham/john_arne_riise/17466882/

John Arne Riise about the Norwegian flags in the stadium next thursday.

Headline reads: Fulham fans wants to honour victims with Norwegian flags
Riise- A initiative we really apreciate!

I would translate the rest but I`m at work so hopefully someone else can do it

theo

Did a quick translation of the whole text, sorry for any mistakes you may find, I take no responsibility ;) :

The Premier League kicks off on the 13th of august and supporters in England have expressed their wish to mark last Fridays tragedy.

The fans of Fulham want to show their support by bringing Norwegian flags to the clubs home ground, Craven Cottage.
The leader of Fulham Supporters Club Norway confirms this to Dagbladet.

-The British supporters have taken this initiative. They are going to buy Norwegian flags to show that they care. As a Norwegian this is really nice to see, says the supporter leader Bjørnstad. 

The Norwegian flags will be shown by a host of fans for both the Europa League qualifier against RNK Split next week, and the first league game of the season against Aston Villa, at the stadium where both Bjørn Helge Riise, John Arne Riise and Hangeland play.

Stirs up emotions

The Norwegian Support leader has been contacted by several British fans who wish to express their sympathy.

-Fulham is almost a half Norwegian club. Several English fans have contacted me to ask me how people in Norway would react to this kind of gesture. This has obviously stirred up emotions in England, and I have said it would be a very nice way to show their support, Bjørnstad says.

Appreciated initiative

John Arne Riise and the rest of the Fulham squad arrived in Croatia on Wednesday and are playing a Europa League game against RNK Split tonight.

Riise tells Dagbladet that he is moved by the supporters involvement.

-It warmed my heart when I was told of this initiative from the English Fulham fans, and it is an initiative that we really appreciate. All our thoughts go out to the people and families that have been affected by the tragic events. We will never forget them, Riise tells Dagbladet.

-It's amazing to hear about all the sympathy the Norwegian people are getting from all over the world. These tragic events will hopefully bring people closer together, make them take even better care of each other and give us an even stronger belief in the values that we know are right.

Received many reactions

Riise recently signed for Fulham and the national team player has been contacted by many of his former team mates. On his private blogg, Riise writes:

-Many of my former team mates at Roma and Liverpool have sent me texts where they say they are shocked by what happened. Many of our team mates at Fulham have talked about how incredibly sad it is. I've also received emails from all over the world, Riise writes.

- Football and sport becomes so meaningless at times like this. I am a professional footballer and I train when I am told to, but my mind is elsewhere.

The idea to bring flags to the game was conceived on an internet forum, and now, a short time later, many supporters have bought their Norwegian flags online.

epsomraver

Hazey

Just bought mine, now need to sort out a ticket or two to the game.

Will be in H6, half way up approx...
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

Aspen

Flag arrived - hopefully getting tickets tomorrow for Putney end P4 row Z

LBNo11

...my flag has arrived now too. It appears that my guess of about 50 flags around the ground may well be exceeded. I hope in some way it all helps the healing process...

epsomraver

Whiteroom

Is it definitely ok to bring a big flag to a game? No problems with the pole or anything?

LBNo11

Quote from: Whiteroom on July 29, 2011, 02:09:19 PM
Is it definitely ok to bring a big flag to a game? No problems with the pole or anything?

...all nationalities are welcome..!

:dft012:

epsomraver

I was just going to say that he will probably sorting out someone's U bend and cannot make it! :005:

JBH

Just emailed the club with the following, I thought it was worth a try.

Hi

I don't know if it has been discussed by the club but after the tragic occurence in Norway  a few dozen fans will be displaying their support for our Norweign Players and the people of Norway by taking the Flag of Norway to the games v Split and Aston Villa.

Could the club follow suit by issuing clappers with the flag of Norway on them at the 1st premiership home game of the season v Aston Villa so that all of the fans could show their unity and pay their respect?

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3722793/John-Arne-Riise-rocked-by-Norway-massacre.html

John Arne Riise rocked by Norway massacre

By ANDREW DILLON

Published: Today

Fulham's left-back is one of three Norwegians at the club and says the game means 'nothing' in comparison to the Utoya Island shootings and the bomb blast in Oslo which left 77 people dead last week.

The ex-Liverpool star, 30, should be concentrating on settling in at Craven Cottage and preparing for gruelling domestic and Europa League campaigns.

But he said: "When I'm in training I try to stay focused but it has been very hard. Friday particularly. Norway has always been one of the safest countries in the world where we all stick together.

"Football's not important at a time like this after what has happened to so many young and innocent people.

"It's put everything in perspective and football means nothing at all. My thoughts are with the families who have lost loved ones."

Riise made his second appearance since completing a £2.3million move from Roma in Thursday's goalless draw against RNK Split.

Younger brother Bjorn Helge and Brede Hangeland make up Fulham's Norwegian trio.

Riise added: "We will all be together soon with the national team. We have to do something. We can help people and support them."