watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Riots in North London

Started by Lighthouse, August 07, 2011, 02:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Petrol bombs have been thrown at police and three patrol cars, a bus and buildings have been set on fire in a disturbance in Tottenham, north London.

The incident began after a protest over the fatal shooting of a young man by police on Thursday turned violent.

About 300 people have gathered outside the police station on the High Road.

Members of the community had taken to the streets to demand "justice" after the shooting of 29-year-old father-of-four Mark Duggan.

The BBC's Ben Ando, who is at the scene, described the situation as a "stand off" between police and protesters and said firefighters had come under attack.

Shops looted

Two patrol cars were set alight at about 20:20 BST but officers were not inside at the time.

Click to play
Cdr Stephen Watson: "We had no information to suggest that we would have the scale of disorder that now confronts us"
Shops in the area have also been looted with people seen pushing away shopping trolleys full of goods.

A double decker bus was set on fire at the junction of High Road and Brook Street while a shop on the High Road has also been set alight.

Fire crews were initially unable to reach the shop due to the disorder but later began tackling the flames.

A BBC TV news crew and satellite truck also came under attack from youths throwing missiles.

The youths had begun attacking another police patrol car before the TV crew were targeted and they were withdrawn in the interests of their own safety.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

leonffc

Gazza's just got off the tube at Tottenham Hale carrying a fishing rod, lager and some chicken pot noodles. I think it's going to be alright.

cutbushcitylimits

Harry Redknapp just drove by the sky cameras and wound down his window and said "i thought the police tonight were triffic"

ron

Strange how the looting of shops becomes part of political or other types of public protest.

cutbushcitylimits

Busy day for the Met today
The charity shield
West ham v Cardiff
and of course Tottenham

Logicalman

Quote from: ron on August 07, 2011, 10:56:42 AM
Strange how the looting of shops becomes part of political or other types of public protest.

Excuses, just excuses - saves them having to spend their welfare on such things. Fiscal policies in action.

Broadwater Farm - yet again - RIP Keith Blakelock.

Lighthouse

I believe there is an injustice in my area and I am feeling really put upon. As a protest I am going to smash a few windows, burn a few cars and go shopping for a new television, some food and many items I don't really want. For I am very cross.

cutbushcitylimits

well dont bother going to Comet.....apparently those free laptop offers are only available in thier tottenham branch
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 07, 2011, 12:17:42 PM
I believe there is an injustice in my area and I am feeling really put upon. As a protest I am going to smash a few windows, burn a few cars and go shopping for a new television, some food and many items I don't really want. For I am very cross.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Good job The Gob$hits are playing Harts or is it Hibs .................. not a Europeen side
it is a toilet in N17 but now its a burned out toilet
Log ..................this is nothing like Broadwater .......but I will stop there as I just heard a great outing of breath from LB ............ :59:

Logicalman

Quote from: KCat on August 07, 2011, 12:46:37 PM
Good job The Gob$hits are playing Harts or is it Hibs .................. not a Europeen side
it is a toilet in N17 but now its a burned out toilet
Log ..................this is nothing like Broadwater .......but I will stop there as I just heard a great outing of breath from LB ............ :59:

Sorry KCat, didn't make it clear that this 'Protest' (Sic) started as a march from Broadwater Farm - obviously the next generation has grown up - though I wouldn't imagine Mark, Kevin or Lee would have been there.

Riversider

it`s all the fault of the Police apparently !!
Can you imagine walking around Tottenham, Stockwell, Harringey or Hackney at 11pm on a saturday night if the Police were ever on strike ? no thanks !
If our forward line have half as many shots as The Operation Trident team over the next ten  months we could be in for a great season.

065.gif  

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Now I wish I has spelt European ...proper like the first time  :026:

25/26 years ago the police knew what was going to happen. Charlie the milk man told the locals  and was so concerned wrote to the Met, telling them that no milk bottles were returned from The Farm for many weeks. He got a visit from the local plod telling him not to worry they had it covered.

25 years on cameras are everywhere and the police bend over backwards to facilitate these shameless people.
If anyone is watching SKY ..........did you see that woman trying on a pair of trainers outside a shop that she had raided ??? ..................they all have SKY and the big dishes over that way,  so they must know they would be on TV
how stupid and how little shame these people have but then again they will get away with it .

Fletchino

I like what they have done at tottenham I think it's really brightened the place up and a vast inprovement to what was there before

Lighthouse

I am sure the Police are to blame for many things. Problem is when people riot and take their kids along to watch. Then the high moral ground is lost. Anyway we are all missing the bigger picture here.

What is the returns policy on goods obtained during a riot? This DVD player is smoke damaged.

Riversider

If Looting was an Olympic event we`d be assured of at least one gold next year . :005:

Logicalman

Quote from: KCat on August 07, 2011, 01:16:59 PM
Now I wish I has spelt European ...proper like the first time  :026:

25/26 years ago the police knew what was going to happen. Charlie the milk man told the locals  and was so concerned wrote to the Met, telling them that no milk bottles were returned from The Farm for many weeks. He got a visit from the local plod telling him not to worry they had it covered.

25 years on cameras are everywhere and the police bend over backwards to facilitate these shameless people.
If anyone is watching SKY ..........did you see that woman trying on a pair of trainers outside a shop that she had raided ??? ..................they all have SKY and the big dishes over that way,  so they must know they would be on TV
how stupid and how little shame these people have but then again they will get away with it .

cannot disagree with the facts KCat, though the term "....and the police bend over backwards to facilitate these shameless people. " is WAY wrong. The Police are at the whim of every political party that take power, politicians the public have put into place for that purpose. So, if the public don't like the way the Police are policing local areas, then they just need to get onto their elected officials, because it's those that set Police policy, especially in the Met area. Don't get me wrong, the Police (esp Met) get it wrong many times, the G8 policing was a good example, but that is an operational incident as compared to an area or neighborhood policy, the latter, of course, is what you are referring to above.

CorkCity

Why am I seeing people on Sky News trying to justify the actons of the rioters, and I do not consider myself to be racist, but they all seem to be black.
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

leonffc

Quote from: CorkCity on August 07, 2011, 03:57:48 PM
Why am I seeing people on Sky News trying to justify the actons of the rioters, and I do not consider myself to be racist, but they all seem to be black.

I'm not racist either but I can state that they would be black. White people simply don't live in Tottenham!!

Burt

There is no justification for what happened last night.

People lost their properties, possesions, businesses and livelihoods at the whim of a couple of hundred idiots hell bent on a ruck.

finnster01

Quote from: leonffc on August 07, 2011, 04:21:39 PM
Quote from: CorkCity on August 07, 2011, 03:57:48 PM

I'm not racist either but I can state that they would be black. White people simply don't live in Tottenham!!

No, they have all gone upmarket and moved to Brixton  :58:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead