https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Riots in North London

Started by Lighthouse, August 07, 2011, 02:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Unlike a lot on this thread, wise words Tony

Burt

I hope your daughter is OK Mr Gilroy sir.

My brother lives in Brixton too, on Brixton Hill, a few doors up from The Fridge.

Just had a Skype exchange with him.

"I was kept awake by the police helicopter for so long that I got up and watched the peripheral goings on from the terrace. I saw a bunch of people trying to hide some looted TVs in the hedge below so I doused them with the garden hose :) They moved off somewhere else without spotting me"

Peabody

Just wait until the Chinese take over the world, then we will all find out what human rights mean. It's gonna happen. Now, can we get back to football, please

Burt

Quote from: Peabody on August 08, 2011, 10:28:12 AM
Just wait until the Chinese take over the world, then we will all find out what human rights mean. It's gonna happen. Now, can we get back to football, please

Have we signed him yet?

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Burt on August 08, 2011, 10:31:13 AM
Quote from: Peabody on August 08, 2011, 10:28:12 AM

Have we signed him yet?

Naaa. He was nicked in Tottenham last night with a 52" plasma and a Bic Mac..

The Equalizer

Like any recent unrest, the riots were started by people with genuine concerns, although perhaps in the wrong way of expressing it. The problem is that this has since been infiltrated by young disenfranchised people who have no clue as to what their doing other than causing problems.

I would also go so far as to say that most of these people are uneducated. People looted all of the phones from a mobile phone shop, not realising that the phone shop has all of the IMEI numbers and can shut down the phone immediately.

People were filmed trying on trainers and clothes before stealing them. "Excuse me, do you have these in a size 8?"

Fools.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Logicalman

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 08, 2011, 10:10:41 AM
It isn't right and it's a bloody tragedy for all those who suffer. My daughter lives in Brixton and spent a very uncomfortable night albeit with her sleeping husband who is training to be a special constable. She'll have many more sleepless nights in future when he's on duty during similar "disturbances"

Fair play to your son-in-law, Tony.
It takes nutz the size of melons to join upon the right side these days, and he has a tough time ahead of him. Perhaps if more people that bemoan the way the Police conduct themselves actually got off their backsides and did the same as he is doing, then they might actually understand the real situation, rather than the back-stabbing comments from the armchair. If it wasn't for those boys in blue, some of which would have had to work 12 hours shifts in riot gear, then it would have been a lot worse all over the capital, and elsewhere.

LordNelson

This shows us once again that when the feces his the oscillating device, the constabulary will not be able to protect you, your family, or your property/business.  It's the law abiding populace that has been effectively neutered.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

jarv

The police, despitemost being decent blokes, are employed by and to protect the very types which Tony listed. It is the unfairness of society which created this happening, then the idiots and looters have to face the storm troopers.

In essence, the powers that be are creating, have created an environment for decent citizen to fight decent citizen. All of this while the people in charge go on holiday. Musn't disrupt the hooray henrys must we.

Lighthouse

I don't think decent citizen is fighting decent citizen. The corrupt are jumping on a bandwagon and calling it justice while taking home free televisions. While the decent citizen is pulling the shutters tight hoping they will be ignored. Yes Governments create an atmosphere contusive to Police short cuts and poor policing at the top. But people create the World they live in. We are not all just victims. There are many reasons for the riots. The prime one being people out to take something for nothing and cause damage. Forgetting that the damage will have to be paid for.

There is always blame to spread around but lets remember there are many ways to complain without hurting the decent and steeling from them.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Jimpav

When you have nothing there is nothing left to lose.

Logicalman

The last comments by Lord N, Jarv and LH are all fair comments, and reflect a lot of what the problems are in every western democracy. The rule of law in a democracy is one that reflects public opinion at the time. The voting public have the power to change the line-up of the Police masters (e.g. Politicians and Council leaders) and so, when such powers engage a policy, enacted by the Police, then that is - in actuality - a reflection of those that voted them into power, after all, we all live in this democracy.

The bottom line is that if you don't like it - then change it. One word of warning though, be sure that the grass on the other side of the fence is really green, and not just a reflection from rose-tinted glasses.

Peabody

Last week I put something in here that was clearly political and I was aked and did withdraw it. Lighthouse has now made this political by his "corrupt government" comment. Surely this thread should now be withdrawn. Oh yes, he is only expressing an opinion.

TonyGilroy

All comments on this thread are political which is why I hesitated to join in. I'm happy for it to be locked but its noticeable that no one is getting upset with anyone else.

LBNo11

...this topic has been left alone because by and large the debate has been interesting and has not got out of control apart from the odd jibe, I would prefer Lighthouse deleted his own "corrupt" statement (as it is unfair to single out one particular government as being corrupt when ultimately power corrupts and all governments through lack of control or varying degrees of nepotism become corrupt) - so that the debate continues in the same vein - if not then I will lock this post...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Lighthouse

I have modified one of my posts and deleted another on this thread. I do hope we are allowed to continue to debate  but will support any decision the Mods take. As life is political it is very hard not to make political points. My apology.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

finnster01

Surprised to read in media about riots reaching Islington. Is that the three spurs students with parents who actually have a job sharing a flat together?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

The Equalizer

Quote from: finnster01 on August 08, 2011, 02:26:14 PM
Surprised to read in media about riots reaching Islington. Is that the three spurs students with parents who actually have a job sharing a flat together?

Someone heard that the policeman who did the shooting was an Arsenal supporter.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Mitch

The real damnation on our society is the fact that mindless idiots used Saturdays riots to pillage and steal, all the way in Brixton, no where the area of the death. I guarantee that 99% of those rioting there could even name the dead man involved.

Burt

There was also a degree of pre-planning with the incidents in Brixton.

My brother lives there, and noticed that people with stolen electrical goods were taking their ill-gotten gains to a particular location near where he lives. Then a van came in, was loaded off, and off on their merry way they went.

The old bill were plainly stretched and couldn't do a thing about it.