Main Menu

Re: Sascha Riether signs for Fulham?

Started by cottage cheese, July 06, 2012, 12:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

Quote from: cottage cheese on July 06, 2012, 12:30:09 PM
Quote from: twang on July 06, 2012, 12:23:26 PM
I Think these quotes are new as well:
"I look forward to football in England. You hear more of the fast ball that is played there."
Whether he once again putting on its shoes for the FC? "You never know what happened."

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.express.de%2Ffc-koeln%2Fkaderplanung-fc-leiht-riether-an-den-fc-fulham-aus%2C3192%2C16561460.html

Quote from: cottage cheese on July 06, 2012, 12:08:42 PM
if true not really an  exciting signing, whats the point when we have kelly. Hes not quick nor is he known for his ability to get forward that much (my cousins support wolfsburg and say hes solid at most) if we keep baird what is the point in this signing...

i am not slagging him off but just saying if we wanted to replace kelly then at least have someone younger and a bit more attack minded down the wing with a killer cross. Thats what we need

As I understand things Reither was very popular amongst the Wolfsburg supporters and was regarded as one of the Bundesliga's best right backs when they won the title back in 2009. He's been described to me as an extremely industrious full back who gets up and down the flank whenever there's an opportunity, plus he's solid defensively.

I guess that he won't be coming here with much confidence though as his current club, Köln, got relegated last season and he was mostly used as a defensive midfielder.

well they have said that he is solid which is what we need but he does not have a killer cross  and does get caught out of positions (pretty much like kelly at times).

He may be a star signing and put in a shift but history and form suggests he will be another solid player which i feel we already have in baird and kelly. I was hoping we would sign someone younger with a bit more flair and ability and not a 29 year old who like you said did not play very well last season.

Fingers crossed but I would have prefered a younger attacking player dying for game time

Might be a controversial view but I wouldnt be at all surprised to see Baird return to Southampton, he is there ex club captain and left on good terms and has not featured much (albeit for non footballing reasons) so he may feel it is a sensible move.

Mr_Moon

Quote from: cottage cheese on July 06, 2012, 12:33:59 PM
@ mr moon

true, maybe that is the case but then why not stick simon davies at right back lol he did a solid job at times

Doesn't Davies have injury problems though? I suppose there are other things to take into consideration like wage demands. Offering Davies a new contract will now impact on our FFP wage total so the management have to assess whether they think it's worth keeping him on. He's going to be 33 in October. I don't know how long left he has on his contract but we should sell up before his worth is amortised to nothing.

Ideally I'd rather we went for a better right back, but I also think that Kelly has been quite good this season so Riether would be temporary low cost competition/cover. We have an adequate amount of players who can play wide right or attacking right mid too.

Also I see Baird has been mentioned. Fully expecting him to leave.

nickmuir

it looks like he is a gap player  a player to fill a gap until next season but could be wrong

Peabody

What is it with some Fulham Fans, they go on and on about we have to sign players and when we do, they immediately slag them off, without even seeing them play. Just give the guy a chance

WhiteJC

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on July 06, 2012, 12:47:46 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on July 06, 2012, 12:45:37 PM
As Tony says, sounds like a replacement for Grygera.

Sounds risk free on a loan and he has played at a high level in Germany.

These kind of signings are Fulham's bread and butter - taking lesser known players/older players on cheap deals and seeing if it works out.

As far as I can see, this represents more money to be spent on strikers/midfielders/wingers.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Get rid of that flag.

what flag?

Mr_Moon

Quote from: Peabody on July 06, 2012, 01:10:51 PM
What is it with some Fulham Fans, they go on and on about we have to sign players and when we do, they immediately slag them off, without even seeing them play. Just give the guy a chance

No one has slagged him off and with all due respect Peabody, people do watch football beyond Fulham so they are bound to have seen him play before.

Peabody

OK, slagged off is the wrong description but there are certainley bits about his ability and as far as seeing him play, I would doubt if they have seen him play regularly but there you go, its all about opinions and I have just expressed mine.

HatterDon

Quote from: Mr_Moon on July 06, 2012, 12:19:29 PM
He runs around a lot.

That's about it.

but does he fall over and is he jaded from too much football?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

cottage cheese

well hes german so we can all agree he will be efficient and wont break down

AlFayedsChequebook

:Germany:
Quote from: WhiteJC on July 06, 2012, 01:14:52 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on July 06, 2012, 12:47:46 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on July 06, 2012, 12:45:37 PM
As Tony says, sounds like a replacement for Grygera.

Sounds risk free on a loan and he has played at a high level in Germany.

These kind of signings are Fulham's bread and butter - taking lesser known players/older players on cheap deals and seeing if it works out.

As far as I can see, this represents more money to be spent on strikers/midfielders/wingers.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Get rid of that flag.

what flag?

Damn you mods!

ElissonSnygg

Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

ElissonSnygg

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/July/FulhamSignRiether.aspx

Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce the season-long loan signing of Sascha Riether from FC Cologne with an option to acquire the player at the end of the loan period.

The 29-year-old right-back spent last season at FC Cologne having signed from VfL Wolfsburg in 2010.

Riether, born in Lahr, Germany, has made two international appearances. He made his debut for Germany against Denmark, coming on as a second-half substitute in a 2-2 draw in August 2010. A month later he made his first start in a Euro 2012 qualifier against Azerbaijan which Germany won 6-1.

He started his senior career at SC Freiburg in 2002 where he made 139 appearances in five seasons before making the move to Vfl Wolfsburg in 2007. He spent four seasons there and made 116 appearances.

VfL Wolfsburg were crowned Bundesliga Champions at the end of the 2008/09 campaign and qualified for the Champions League in 2009/10. Riether played in all six group fixtures for the German champions which included two matches against Manchester United.

That season, VfL Wolfsburg was eventually paired with Fulham in the quarter final of the Europa League, having finished their CL group in third place. Riether played in midfield in the home and away legs against his new club Fulham, who went on to win the tie 3-1 on aggregate en route to the 2010 Europa League Final. 

Speaking at Fulham's Motspur Park training ground this morning, Sascha Riether said:

"I feel very pleased to have signed. It feels like I've had a long break from football and for me this is a new experience in a new country. Fulham is a good club, a big club with a big tradition and for me it's great to be here. I played here one time with Wolfsburg and I remember Craven Cottage being a great stadium with great fans, and I hope I can go on to have a great season here."

os5889

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/July/FulhamSignRiether.aspx

Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce the season-long loan signing of Sascha Riether from FC Cologne with an option to acquire the player at the end of the loan period.

The 29-year-old right-back spent last season at FC Cologne having signed from VfL Wolfsburg in 2010.

Riether, born in Lahr, Germany, has made two international appearances. He made his debut for Germany against Denmark, coming on as a second-half substitute in a 2-2 draw in August 2010. A month later he made his first start in a Euro 2012 qualifier against Azerbaijan which Germany won 6-1.

He started his senior career at SC Freiburg in 2002 where he made 139 appearances in five seasons before making the move to Vfl Wolfsburg in 2007. He spent four seasons there and made 116 appearances.

VfL Wolfsburg were crowned Bundesliga Champions at the end of the 2008/09 campaign and qualified for the Champions League in 2009/10. Riether played in all six group fixtures for the German champions which included two matches against Manchester United.

That season, VfL Wolfsburg was eventually paired with Fulham in the quarter final of the Europa League, having finished their CL group in third place. Riether played in midfield in the home and away legs against his new club Fulham, who went on to win the tie 3-1 on aggregate en route to the 2010 Europa League Final. 

Speaking at Fulham's Motspur Park training ground this morning, Sascha Riether said:

"I feel very pleased to have signed. It feels like I've had a long break from football and for me this is a new experience in a new country. Fulham is a good club, a big club with a big tradition and for me it's great to be here. I played here one time with Wolfsburg and I remember Craven Cottage being a great stadium with great fans, and I hope I can go on to have a great season here."

ElissonSnygg

So now we have two that played against us in the Europa League.

os5889

Quote from: ElissonSnygg on July 06, 2012, 03:06:39 PM
So now we have two that played against us in the Europa League.

Make it 4 if you include Riise and Grygera + Petric and Riether

Reindeer

This is great news.  We've been poor down the right and Kelly isn't the way forward.  This lad comes with a good pedigree and at a very low risk too.

COYW

ClarksOriginal

Looks like a right happy chap in his photo.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

Jambo

Quote from: ddeuce on July 06, 2012, 12:49:24 PM
Quote from: cottage cheese on July 06, 2012, 12:46:57 PM
@dduece  ....and you think kelly and this german guy have pace as well  :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005:

Did I say Kelly has pace?

and this German guy is quick, not fast fast, but quick.

Just so I know where we are at, is this the scale you are working on?

Slow slow-Simon Elliott

Slow - Dempsey

average - Duff

Fast - Boa Morte

Quick - New fella

Fast fast - Frei
We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ClarksOriginal on July 06, 2012, 03:13:27 PM

He looks like a German Mark Whalberg

RidgeRider

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on July 06, 2012, 03:20:09 PM
Quote from: ClarksOriginal on July 06, 2012, 03:13:27 PM

He looks like a German Mark Whalberg

He does and why the continued use of the Orange Third Kit when we announce new players? Symbolic of the Dutch revolution at Fulham?