Started by rusty shackleford, July 18, 2013, 08:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

Quote from: SKSW6 on July 19, 2013, 08:32:05 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on July 19, 2013, 08:20:52 PM
Quote from: SKSW6 on July 19, 2013, 08:17:05 PM
Quote from: alexbishop on July 19, 2013, 08:02:17 PM
Quote from: SKSW6 on July 19, 2013, 07:56:47 PM
Happy as long as we don't get any of those cheerleaders coming over for HT at our games.

Excuse me...?

Cheerleaders are one of the worst and most awkward americanisations of football around imo. Half time should be fat blokes trying to hit a cross-bar, or kids from local schools playing against each other. They're maybe not quite as bad as that geezer dressed as a woman flogging his play, or those tenors of rock from last season, but they're still pretty bad.

Like I said, if fat guys hitting a crossbar is your tune, sing it loud.
How about scantily clad sweeties trying to hit a crossbar?  (Notice ladies, I didn't specify a gender).

People may groan when I say it, but it just seems a bit seedy to me the idea of a bunch of men leering at said women. As well as that I feel like we're better than that as a club, one that is generally associated with understated class and old school values, which cheerleaders aren't and never have been a part of.

This isn't me having a pop at the US btw, there are just a lot of aspects of American sport which I wouldn't want to be incorporated into Fulham or football in general, and likewise I doubt US sports would want a lot of ours.

I didn't think you were taking a pop at the US. I can see your point. Perhaps they could walk through the stands and sell beer. A bit of ale and half naked women...has an interesting ring about it.  :008:
If you want the worst of American sport you need look no further than ESPN; self appointed experts blathering constantly, banners with redundant "info" running across the bottom,  meaningless stats ( this is the first time Johnny Kickball has scored against a team in red in 3 yrs, 4 months & 2 and a half days). And at halftime more drivel. If you gotta take something, take the ladies. They appeal to a higher portion of your brain than does ESPN.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

OHfulhamfan

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 19, 2013, 08:45:26 PM
Quote from: SKSW6 on July 19, 2013, 08:32:05 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on July 19, 2013, 08:20:52 PM
Quote from: SKSW6 on July 19, 2013, 08:17:05 PM
Quote from: alexbishop on July 19, 2013, 08:02:17 PM
Quote from: SKSW6 on July 19, 2013, 07:56:47 PM
Happy as long as we don't get any of those cheerleaders coming over for HT at our games.

Excuse me...?

Cheerleaders are one of the worst and most awkward americanisations of football around imo. Half time should be fat blokes trying to hit a cross-bar, or kids from local schools playing against each other. They're maybe not quite as bad as that geezer dressed as a woman flogging his play, or those tenors of rock from last season, but they're still pretty bad.

Like I said, if fat guys hitting a crossbar is your tune, sing it loud.
How about scantily clad sweeties trying to hit a crossbar?  (Notice ladies, I didn't specify a gender).

People may groan when I say it, but it just seems a bit seedy to me the idea of a bunch of men leering at said women. As well as that I feel like we're better than that as a club, one that is generally associated with understated class and old school values, which cheerleaders aren't and never have been a part of.

This isn't me having a pop at the US btw, there are just a lot of aspects of American sport which I wouldn't want to be incorporated into Fulham or football in general, and likewise I doubt US sports would want a lot of ours.

I didn't think you were taking a pop at the US. I can see your point. Perhaps they could walk through the stands and sell beer. A bit of ale and half naked women...has an interesting ring about it.  :008:
If you want the worst of American sport you need look no further than ESPN; self appointed experts blathering constantly, banners with redundant "info" running across the bottom,  meaningless stats ( this is the first time Johnny Kickball has scored against a team in red in 3 yrs, 4 months & 2 and a half days). And at halftime more drivel. If you gotta take something, take the ladies. They appeal to a higher portion of your brain than does ESPN.

I couldn't agree more about ESPN. Sports Center has become unwatchable. the hosts catchphrases have become more important than recapping the events. I have come to prefer MLB Network's Quick Pitch. You actually find out what happened in the games. Baseball Tonight is just nothing but yakety yak.

rusty shackleford

Looks like Khan blew all his money buying us and had to settle for a $3 webcam

rusty shackleford

Jol looks so out of place during these public things

rusty shackleford

Pretty standard stuff. Only real development is that Khan is going out to Costa Rica for tomorrows game.

Hopefully now that MJ and Khan have met we might make progress on a few signings

alexbishop

Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

jmh

That was pretty dull.  Hope none of you in London took time away from any fun Friday night activities to watch it.  Enjoyed watching Hangeland stoop over to use the microphone that was at the right height for a normal-sized person.

Ordar

Nice enough press event. Good to get Brede and Jol out there. Expanding our brand is important, and we'd be foolish not to take advantage of the Jaguars link.

$63m dollars of improvements to the Jags stadium... jesus... Imagine what we could do to the Cottage with the same amount.

Jol did seem very optimistic about things, and there has been alot of talk about us "doing well", "going to the next level" and "pushing on" which surely can only bode well. When the team is back from Costa Rica I reckon we'll see some intent in the transfer window. How much only they know, but I still predict us spending 20-30m before the window closes

cmg

Rather as expected, nothing of any importance emerged (Jacksonville changing rooms are much bigger than those at CC).

All very matey. Khan's good use of 'we' when talking about Fulham.

Hangeland was VERY impressive. Not many English footballers would be capable of such a polished performance.

OHfulhamfan

jmh

Quote from: Ordar on July 19, 2013, 09:21:20 PM
$63m dollars of improvements to the Jags stadium... jesus... Imagine what we could do to the Cottage with the same amount.
For comparison, how much is the Riverside redevelopment supposed to cost?  Looked for it online but couldn't find it.

alexbishop

what I will say is that Jol and Hangeland are very good ambassadors for the club. Both good speakers, good personalities.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

Ordar

Riverside is down as £15m apparently

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: btings on July 19, 2013, 08:43:22 PM
Cheerleaders are vile.

Why do you believe this? I've known a few and they were quite nice.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: OHfulhamfan on July 19, 2013, 09:22:47 PM
That was underwhelming.

It was a formal introduction. They're all pretty inconsequential. More important things get built/announced as the relationship develops.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

rusty shackleford

On another note i love the Jags stadium. I like those really American looking rounded stadiums with low slanted sides. And it also appears to be on the river, like us!

OHfulhamfan

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 19, 2013, 09:50:09 PM
Quote from: OHfulhamfan on July 19, 2013, 09:22:47 PM
That was underwhelming.

It was a formal introduction. They're all pretty inconsequential. More important things get built/announced as the relationship develops.

I've been underwhelmed, and I've been overwhelmed, but I have never been properly whelmed.

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

First State