Main Menu

WCF: Group D: Costa Rica-England-Italy-Uruguay

Started by Moderati, June 14, 2014, 04:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

Quote from: KCat on June 20, 2014, 07:04:32 PM
Quote from: MrProphet on June 20, 2014, 06:41:36 PM
Quote from: alexbishop on June 20, 2014, 06:36:04 PM
the problem wasn't bryan, the problem was fulham...

For FFS  Bryan is STILL  a Fulham player and he has scored for his little country in the World Cup
and there is no doubt that he is a stylish player.......be happy for him.  

Careful m'lady. Your bordering on being decent & rational and that, as you well know, is seldom acceptable in these hollowed threads. Testosterone is much more important, innt?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

ron

I think the gods contrive to make us in these islands (and particularly in SW6)  as frustrated as possible..

Mr Ruiz was just brushed off the ball with us, and needed twice the time he had to control it, but now is a world renowned goalscorer....Italy were a formidable opponent for us but looked as if they couldn't even be bothered to run in the game today...Uruguay performances similar....

Perhaps the best thing that could happen if we still have any control over his contract is to laud him to the rafters,  flog him for about £20m and rebuild....

....And get Roy and Ray to dump the poison chalice and come back down to the Cottage.

btings

Tweet of the year (written -before- the game):

@simpsonstimpy: "The way this season has gone, Fulham Relegated, QPR promoted, Zamora scores winner, England poo, Expect a Bryan Ruiz winner tonight #FFC"

YankeeJim

Quote from: MrProphet on June 20, 2014, 07:22:25 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on June 20, 2014, 07:18:14 PM

Really so Fulham made a 6ft man get sneezed off the ball and want 10 minutes to make a decision????

Didn't matter where he played he is only good enough for a second rate league where there is no pressure on the ball and he isn't expected to move

For FFS  Bryan is STILL  a Fulham player and he has scored for his little country in the World Cup

Careful m'lady. Your bordering on being decent & rational and that, as you well know, is seldom acceptable in these hollowed threads. Testosterone is much more important, innt?

As I constantly repeat on these threads, it is not what one says that is offensive but the delivery of said comment. Adjectives are what gets a person in trouble not the opinion.  

alexbishop

Quote from: YankeeJim on June 20, 2014, 07:36:27 PM

For F*Sake  Bryan is STILL  a Fulham player and he has scored for his little country in the World Cup

As I constantly repeat on these threads, it is not what one says that is offensive but the delivery of said comment. Adjectives are what gets a person in trouble not the opinion.  

Hang on a second...what have I done? :s
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

RidgeRider

Remember the respect rule folks or I will triage this thread and remove anything unfriendly in it.

BarryP

Exactly this! Thank you KCat.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

ron

To everyone contesting this thread, I prescribe  S001.gif, a couple of lagers and settle to watching cricket, paint dry, or whatever for a couple of months.

YankeeJim

Quote from: alexbishop on June 20, 2014, 07:41:59 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on June 20, 2014, 07:36:27 PM

For F*Sake  Bryan is STILL  a Fulham player and he has scored for his little country in the World Cup

Responding in kind is childish not condescending and pathetic. I'll accept that I came down to your & Mr Bishop's level. I suspect that I am much closer to my second childhood than you are away from your first.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  092.gif

Hang on a second...what have I done? :s

My bad. I attributed another's comment to you. I certainly apologize. As the old saying goes , I should sweep my own doorstep first.
BTW, why did Ridgerider censor your post?

Moussa Dembele the 3rd

Maybe it wasn't Bryan, but Sidwell and Parker who were crap.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Moussa Dembele the 3rd on June 20, 2014, 08:14:50 PM
Maybe it wasn't Bryan, but Sidwell and Parker who were crap.

Well Sidwell was the unofficial player of the year, so he is excluded from this debate
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Berserker

I've always loved Bryan. He's like a little Bambi. Glad he did well, although sad England are out but I didn't expect them to get far anyway.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

nose

ruiz got a header for costa rica, more than he has ever done for us.
he never made a run into the penalty area or strained to get a ball like that for us either
i didn't ever think much of him to be honest and what i have seen of costa rica has not made me change my mind.
however i do like the look of the costa rica manager, getting the best from his squad.

cmg

Quote from: nose on June 20, 2014, 09:46:17 PM

Now Bryan has not (so far) been a notably prolific goalscorer for this club. He has scored approx. 11% of his League goals for us with his head.

(That's one out of 9. v Reading back end of 2013 season.)

Azeedo

Quote from: nose on June 20, 2014, 09:46:17 PM
he never made a run into the penalty area or strained to get a ball like that for us either
i didn't ever think much of him to be honest and what i have seen of costa rica has not made me change my mind.
however i do like the look of the costa rica manager, getting the best from his squad.
How you like us now, once a hater always a hater, costa rica and ruiz have been quality all tournament and what do you have to show, not a damn thing

SP

Quote from: btings on June 20, 2014, 07:34:51 PM
Tweet of the year (written -before- the game):

@simpsonstimpy: "The way this season has gone, Fulham Relegated, QPR promoted, Zamora scores winner, England poo, Expect a Bryan Ruiz winner tonight #FFC"

When will the pain end?  About the only thing that hasn't happened is the announcement we'll be ground sharing at the dog track for the foreseeable future due to the discovery of a protected species of mole discovered living under the Riverside Stand.

grandad

England coach Roy Hodgson continues to have the full support of his players, says goalkeeper Joe Hart.

"Of course he does. We've got to stick together. We came into this as a group," he said. "We haven't succeeded but have to stick together. They prepared us as best they could and we haven't performed on the field."

But we don´t want them to stick together. Too many are just not good enough or finished as an international.
Start again rebuilding, just like we are having to.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ron

As I posted earlier, let's have Roy and Ray back here to sort us out, and have the poison chalice be handed along with an improbable salary to someone else.

If only.....

Sammyffc

I've noticed during this world cup growing concerns about Wayne Rooney and whether he is good enough for england and if he should be classed as ' world class' , its a debate which has fascinated me but always wound me up in someway or another.

Wayne has been the main victim of english media for a number of years now and I'm wondering if many of the ' rooney ' haters are just members of the media bandwagon. Twitter is the best place for this, people will say he should be dropped he is **** but when asked why, the majority of people struggle to actually say why they think this.

However, those who do have an answer say he doesn't perform for England and should ultimately be dropped for Everton's own Ross Barkley. Ross Barkley is one of the best , if not the best english youth currently in the premiership in my opinion. But is he really better than Wayne Rooney ? and should wayne be sacrificed for this ' new breed ' ?

After this debate i decided to indulge myself in the world of Squawka. For those who don't know  is Squawka is a second screen web application for football. Tell Squawka which live game you are watching on TV and you will be given access to real time stats on the every player on the pitch alongside social interaction with other fans. You can also go on the Squawka website and compare players to eachother for overall performances stat wise in leagues etc etc ( if you have the time ).

So i decided to do a straight comparison matrix from the 2013/2014 Prem between Ross Barkley and Wayne Rooney for the CAM role.

Without posting every single stat that contributes to the role of CAM here are the results

Wayne Rooney                                                  Ross  Barkley

Total Forward passes     674                              683
Total Passes -               1321                             1220
Assists                         10                                 0
Sucesfull passes           1051                             1035
Shot Accuracy              53                                 38
Goals scored                17                                 6
Total Score -                894.97                           696.76
Total Attack Score         1041.51                         626.32
Total Defence Score       -28.41                           86.71

Looking at the stats, to me it was quite clear who should be starting for England in the CAM role after the performances this season. But what interests me is are people rating Barkley too much ? are they putting too much pressure on him ? is he infact anywhere near the same level as Wayne Rooney ?

Was Wayne right to be slated ? The player who single handedly got England to the world cup ( Words of Steven Gerrard ) and got an assist against Italy and a goal against Uruguay be dropped ? Is he infact being slated by the majority of the english population without any reason ?

Should the real question be , going by the Defence Scores . Should Ross Barkley be taking Steven Gerrards place ?

The opinion is yours !

My first ever attempt of a little blog btw , not the best i know but i tried !  fp.gif

Sgt Fulham

Great post. I think that much of the Rooney slating comes from our high expectations of him as we know what he is capable of, combined with our desperation to still be classed as a world-class team. When Rooney doesnt deliver the Suarez package for England the frustration grows.and he is targetted. You have to remember also that we live on a population who loves to moan as it gives you the most attention online - one of the reasons I hate twitter. Either way I wouldnt lose sleep on Rooney as he gets paid more than most earn in a decade, in a week!

Also, on the subject of Ross Barkley, is he overrated? Only time will tell really, I hope not.