watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

It seems

Started by blingo, August 07, 2015, 10:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blingo

That whether you ask on here or the mod that responded, you dont get an answer as to why FOF are using cookies to collect my information. I sent a pm as asked but no answer. I guess that means a ban, but tbh I've had enough of it on here anyway. To the oldies, I wish you all well. I may join Cottage Corner, but this site has become too controling for Blingo.

grandad

I left CC as it was full of WUMS & personal abusers. I reported some of them to the club but Nicola said there was nothing she or the club could do as it is a private forum. They will monitor the site.
Where there's a will there's a wife

snarks

Just a quick reply, but cookies are there to make it easier for you to come back to the site, they just give you a unique ID so that they can check when you come back that all the links are in place for the site. They do not "gather data" about you as such, although they do keep a track on when you visit.

Here's a bit about cookies for you:- (courtesy of an old BBC article from 2012)

Most modern websites use cookies in some way, and it is unlikely that the majority of internet users even notice cookies working away in the background as they browse from site to site. Until now it has been up to individual users to either block or allow cookies using settings in their internet browser. From the end of May 2012 though, an EU law required all sites that use cookies to seek your express permission to store and retrieve data about your browsing habits.

Most sites will now have drawn your attention to their cookie policy when you first visit the home page. Don't be put off by this, you were probably sharing details with the site before without even knowing it. In many cases you can click to say you understand the cookies policy but in many instance you can simply ignore the announcement and continue browsing as normal.

Sites will continue to use cookies and the information they store in order to make your on line browsing an easier, more enjoyable experience. Cookies are nothing to be scared of, even if the new prompts seeking your consent might seem a little off-putting for the cautious internet user.

You can of course still change how cookies are stored on your machine by clicking on the 'Tools' menu in your internet browser, but you may find that the new law means your concerns about privacy and your personal data have been addressed

And just to clarify what it does

When you visit a site that uses cookies for the first time, a cookie is downloaded onto your PC. The next time you visit that site, your PC checks to see if it has a cookie that is relevant (that is, one containing the site name) and sends the information contained in that cookie back to the site.

The site then 'knows' that you have been there before, and in some cases, tailors what pops up on screen to take account of that fact. For instance, it can be helpful to vary content according to whether this is your first ever visit to a site – or your 71st.

Rupert

Given that we are apparently the most spied upon people in the western world (via CCTV and the like), a few cookies are not going to phase me too much.

If you decide to go and post your views elsewhere, then I wish you well, and you can be sure of a warm welcome from me at least should you choose to return at a later date.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

LBNo11

...blingo, as has been requested by other mods before - rather than comment - why don't you send a PM. It's nothing to do with being controlling, you are just being paranoid.

Also please note I have not made any decisions regarding your posts since the last time you did a flounce and left - this will be the third time you've done this I think - as you clearly blamed me for my removing posts that did not comply with the  rules of this site - which are clearly published - if you don't like the rules - which are reasonable and in line with strict guidelines laid down by the authorities. Because of that I refused to deal with your posts and have left such decisions to others.

I would normally have written to you with this as a PM, but I though that for a change I would defend my colleagues position, as you have publicly laid the blame on us.

As you say there are other places you are free to join, nobody is tied to exclusively using one site, maybe you'll feel more at home elsewhere - good luck...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Nero

isn't the cookies thing all to do with the advertisements that get shown to you on the page, so they get tailored to your individual like. 

sunburywhite

Custard Creams and Bourbons are my favourite cookies
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Lighthouse

It is only an MB. Everywhere has cookies and I have to admit to not caring or understanding what they do. I would tend not to involve myself in what the mods do or don't do. Some of them do and some of them don't.

We know like life this MB has changed. But it is still the only one worth looking at. So cook the cookies, sod the mods and just enjoy what is on offer.

By the term 'sod' I mean cover them in grass as we will all go to seed eventually.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

rusty shackleford

Fernhurst

Don't delete your account Bling....... Would like to keep in touch with one of the "originals" who's optomistic posts were always much appreciated at difficult times (and there were many).

I will hang around to monitor the mods !!!
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Wearethewhites

Quote from: blingo on August 07, 2015, 10:05:15 AM
That whether you ask on here or the mod that responded, you dont get an answer as to why FOF are using cookies to collect my information. I sent a pm as asked but no answer. I guess that means a ban, but tbh I've had enough of it on here anyway. To the oldies, I wish you all well. I may join Cottage Corner, but this site has become too controling for Blingo.

Ha, Ha, is this guy seriously for real? What an absolute attention seeker. Cookies are everywhere now, you basically have to accept this on every website you visit. It's actually good to see that FOF has put these measures in place to protect its members. I've accepted them and moved on..

Airfix

Is it just me or do these "that's IT, I'm out" posts smack just a little of attention seeking?  If I were ever "Out", I'd just go.

Rupert

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 07, 2015, 11:00:14 AM

By the term 'sod' I mean cover them in grass as we will all go to seed eventually.

Good recovery. That "print as you speak feature" does take some getting used to, doesn't it?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Wearethewhites

Quote from: Nero on August 07, 2015, 10:48:50 AM
isn't the cookies thing all to do with the advertisements that get shown to you on the page, so they get tailored to your individual like. 

Done me a big favour the other evening. I had been previously looking at holidays on First Choice, nothing sprang to mind, but then a deal popped up on here and I booked. Hardly controlling, I'd say it's more about tailored advertising, and they just use your cookies.   

blingo

Quote from: LBNo11 on August 07, 2015, 10:41:07 AM
...blingo, as has been requested by other mods before - rather than comment - why don't you send a PM. It's nothing to do with being controlling, you are just being paranoid.

Also please note I have not made any decisions regarding your posts since the last time you did a flounce and left - this will be the third time you've done this I think - as you clearly blamed me for my removing posts that did not comply with the  rules of this site - which are clearly published - if you don't like the rules - which are reasonable and in line with strict guidelines laid down by the authorities. Because of that I refused to deal with your posts and have left such decisions to others.

I would normally have written to you with this as a PM, but I though that for a change I would defend my colleagues position, as you have publicly laid the blame on us.

As you say there are other places you are free to join, nobody is tied to exclusively using one site, maybe you'll feel more at home elsewhere - good luck...

I really wasn't going to post any more either but.......

Ed, I have no beefs at all with you. We had a difference of opinion and sorted it through pm's and as far as I was concerned it was all over. I know you don't have much, if anything, to do with my posts. I guess that when it comes to blingo you just can't like everyone on here and I respect you for that. As far as rules go, I think it is clearly known that I am a rebel, it's the reason I had to work for myself. I have never been able to conform to "rules". Don't make me a bad guy, just different. Love your use of the word  "flounce" Pretty well summed up I would say, but those actions and instincts haven't served me too badly in life. As you rightly say we all have a choice and to be honest, although there's no reason for you or any other mod to care, this is mine. If it's okay with you, I will leave the account open to keep in touch with a few of the oldies. I guess that's all I have to say. Be lucky and healthy. R.

dannyboi-ffc

I appreciate the originals are to be remembered for getting Fof going but in the time I have been on here I would like to think I have put a lot of effort into it. Whether that's for the better or worse is down to opinion but it is frustrating feeling like the originals are the only people who matter on this forum. As far as I'm concerned everyone matters.

As for the cookies issue, I am very behind the times with computers so I have no idea what a cookie even does unless it is covered in chocolate chips and delicious. I don't think asking questions only a mod can answer privately rather than on the MB is unreasnonable is it? It's not really a rule, more of a request.

Hopefully you have a change of heart
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

mikestrand

The ads can be a bit disconcerting if you share a computer with you're wife, as it doesn't take the brain of Britain to know what each of you have been googling.
I think there is a way of turning this feature off in google settings.

Airfix

Quote from: mikestrand on August 07, 2015, 12:09:29 PM
I think there is a way of turning this feature off in google settings.

Ironically enough, I would suggest Googling it!

RaySmith

I'm definitely no internet expert - the opposite - but experience has shown me that cookies are everywhere now. In fact, though you can usually block cookies through your browser, but if you do you probably won't get on  most sites, though I think you can block 'third party' cookies all right.

You can also  block the personalised ads through downloading Adblocker for free - but I found this makes my computer slow.

Cookies, or most ads, don't bother me anyway - only on those match streaming sites are ads a problem, when they tell you have to download software to watch the game - never download anything online unless you are certain what it is!!!!

You can get rid of cookies by running the 'delete history ' on your computer - this is usually under the Tools heading. That gets rid of all cookies and history - until you go on the site again.

I think blingo will be hard pressed to find a site that doesn't have cookies, though they may not tell you about them, but I hope he doesn't leave and know he is very popular with many long term posters - I'm relatively new to FoF, so haven't read many of his posts.

Craven Mad