https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

who was your first Fulham hero

Started by Barrett487, September 02, 2017, 07:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonywa

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on September 02, 2017, 07:21:31 PM
The great Graham Leggat!

I was 8 when in 1963 he scored the fastest ever hat trick in English football (3 mins) and it just reinforced my admiration!

Graham Leggat for me too. A superb finisher, he had everything. Pace, good with either foot and for someone who was only average height was pretty good in the air and was extremely brave into the bargain. A true FFC great.

SouthfieldWhite

Quote from: The Enclosurite on September 04, 2017, 10:17:56 AM
Simon Morgan for me.

I was with Morgs yesterday, Fulham still holds a strong place in his heart.

Barrett487

Quote from: The Enclosurite on September 04, 2017, 10:17:56 AM
Simon Morgan for me.

Morgan was an immense hero of mine, just not the first. He's a great shout.

St Eve

Burt

Fulhamight

Freddie, Freddie, Freddie ! Fred Callaghan who may not have matched JH or GL for skill but made up for it with his enthusiasm and personality. ( By the time I got to see our beloved team Tosh was beginning to be in and out of the team. This was when I was a boy with black cinders on my shoes.... Ha ha !)

howitis

Got to be Kenny Achampong. At a times when all your school mates were supporting Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal it gave me a reason to be excited by Fulham when there was little reason to be optimistic.

MJG

Just the views of a long term fan

jj____

GrumpyWhite

Quote from: filham on September 04, 2017, 06:38:37 PM
Quote from: GrumpyWhite on September 04, 2017, 06:32:08 PM
The Maestr
Quote from: GrumpyWhite on September 04, 2017, 06:32:08 PM
The Maestro
Yes of course, if you saw him play he just has to be your all time hero but there was life at the Cottage before Haynes.
The 1949 team that took us up to our first ever season in the top flight contained some very good players and memorable characters.

Yes that`s the problem with these questions you tend to lean towards what you saw first - would have liked to have seen the 1949 team - but was not born until 1952!!!!!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: One James stannard on September 05, 2017, 08:11:57 PM
I think mine is a tad obvious  :dft001:

Would it be Malcolm Webster, just hazarding a guess.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MarryatsChild

I had two!

One obvious: Johnny Haynes

One rarely mentioned: Roy Bentley in his #5 role in our promotion 58-59.
I remember one headed goal the he rocketed in from the edge of the D, I cannot recall the opposition but the goal lives with me forever.

cmg

Quote from: MarryatsChild on September 06, 2017, 09:20:23 AM
I had two!

One obvious: Johnny Haynes

One rarely mentioned: Roy Bentley in his #5 role in our promotion 58-59.

Roy Bentley, thankfully still with us at age 93, had a remarkable 'second career' with us.
He is, rightfully, regarded primarily as a Chelsea icon. He was regular centre--forward for them and for England and was captain of Chelsea when they won the top-tier Championship (now PL) in 1955.
He was almost immediately discarded as being too old and he then enjoyed a season or so up front for us. We then converted him to centre-half (CB) where he was an immediate success. There wasn't much he didn't know about centre-forward play and combined with his tough-tackling and indestructibility he became a nightmare for 2nd Div strikers. If it hadn't been for his age he would have probably added to his England caps as a number 5.

andyk

Quote from: howitis on September 05, 2017, 09:30:11 AM
Got to be Kenny Achampong. At a times when all your school mates were supporting Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal it gave me a reason to be excited by Fulham when there was little reason to be optimistic.

Agree, miserable days, the ground under threat, the club in turmoil, falling like a stone, seemingly hopeless and then came this light in the darkness, a jewel who for just a little while, stood above the chaos and played the game like only a very few can.

Oh, kenny, kenny... kenny, kenny,kenny,kenny Achampong

JDH101

Super Simon Morgan was my first hero. And to me, will always be Mr Fulham above anyone else.

epsomraver

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 02, 2017, 09:07:15 PM
Jimmy Langley, the original gentleman. Every time he came out on the pitch at a start of a game he would always tap his boots against a goal post.
He had a long throw, and the best executor of a scissor kick I have ever seen.
He made an immediate impression on me from the first time I saw him.
When he was born, they threw away the mould.
Sadly they don't make them like him anymore.
:plus one: :plus one: :plus one:

Keynsham