https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2017/18

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, November 27, 2017, 01:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carborundum

Quote from: cmg on January 18, 2018, 01:45:39 PM
Quote from: Riverside on January 18, 2018, 12:55:26 PM
Is nothing happening or nothing is being concluded ?

Is Tony Khan needed to be at Motspur Park for the sign off of incoming transfers ?  . I assume not .

If he is
1) nothing will happen until Tuesday earliest as he will be with the Jags Sunday .
2) we could have a real problem if the Jags win on Sunday as the Super Bowl is not until 4 Feb . ( I would hope though he would come for a couple of days if he was needed to sign off something ! )

Not being an insider, I have no idea about this sort of stuff. But I believe the electric telephone is available in this part of Surrey and, provided Mr Marconi's cable has been connected, fairly rapid communication with the New World is not an impossibility.
Very amusing.  Pleased to report that it's even more straightforward.  Marconi's genius was to get rid of the cable! 

Big fan of GM.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Twig on January 18, 2018, 12:51:29 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on January 18, 2018, 12:49:32 PM
Quote from: twang on January 18, 2018, 11:49:50 AM
Quote from: Deeping_white on January 18, 2018, 10:47:45 AM
Quote from: twang on January 18, 2018, 10:38:02 AM
Quote from: cmg on January 18, 2018, 10:28:41 AM
Quote from: twang on January 18, 2018, 10:14:34 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 18, 2018, 09:58:09 AM
Ulloa off to Villa by reports.

Devastating and depressing news if true.

Blimey, mate. I'd fear for your health and sanity if you ever received any really bad news - like your cat caught fire or your garden shed got run over by a bus or we'd resigned Chris Martin.

If you really want to feel depressed, read the economic forecasters in the 'Shahid Khan' thread....On second thoughts, don't. I started to and it's taken two cups of strong espresso to unfreeze my brain. :dft012:

Melancholy is my middle name. And I'm not a cat person so as long as I steer well clear of the Shahid Khan thread I'll be able to get on.

But seriously, Ulloa is everything we need and now is the time to 'do everething it takes' to help the team to kick on. So if Ulloa instead goes to a rival it would mean that he was available and would be a huge missed opportunity by the people running the transfers.

He's scored 7 goals in the last two and a half seasons (1 last season and 6 the year before) and is yet to score this season, why does everyone think he'll be the missing piece of the puzzle? Yes he's scored at almost 1 in 2 in the championship but he's also not played in the championship in 3 and a half years, added to the fact he's hardly played this season so won't be match fit or be overly sharp to drop into a team chasing promotion.

Buy a player from the lower leagues - can he make the ste up?
Buy a player from abroad - can he adjust to the new country and league?
Buy a player from the same league - will he actually improve us?
Buy a player from the league above - hasn't played much or hasn't performed

There will always be question marks no matter who we sign but Ulloa has proven himself in the Championship and was an integral role player in the Leicester side that won the title. But the fact of the matter is that he's not good enough for a team with Leicesters ambitions since then.

The most important thing, for me, is that he's exactly the right type of player for us and of course the fact that he was a beast at Brighton. He's big, strong and can hold the ball up but he's also a poacher.
Gayle, for example, might be a better player and have a better record but I'm not so sure it's that type of striker we need.

He wasn't integral in their league win. He scored 6 times and started 7 games. He's played 19mins all this season and is 31. I am delighted it doesn't look like we are going there.

Personaly I would love us to sign Ulloa. If not then Crouch for a season would be ok.

Crouch? Complete lack of imagination on this board. Grabban - yawn. Ulloa - yawn. Crouch - zzzz. These arent forward thinking options, we need the next Vardy, Gray, etc not the old ones.

cmg

Quote from: Carborundum on January 18, 2018, 02:20:34 PM

Very amusing.  Pleased to report that it's even more straightforward.  Marconi's genius was to get rid of the cable! 

Big fan of GM.

Ah! Now I geddit. That's why they call it the WIRE-LESS.
When I learn how to tune it in to the Home Service I'll be able to keep up to date on such matters.

grandad

-.-. --- -.-- .--
There is also Morse Code.
Translate the above letters.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Snibbo

Why can't we be like QPR and Brentford,  and get all our business done by mid January. Oh ... wait.

Twig

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on January 18, 2018, 02:31:28 PM

Blimey, mate. I'd fear for your health and sanity if you ever received any really bad news - like your cat caught fire or your garden shed got run over by a bus or we'd resigned Chris Martin.

If you really want to feel depressed, read the economic forecasters in the 'Shahid Khan' thread....On second thoughts, don't. I started to and it's taken two cups of strong espresso to unfreeze my brain. :dft012:

Melancholy is my middle name. And I'm not a cat person so as long as I steer well clear of the Shahid Khan thread I'll be able to get on.

But seriously, Ulloa is everything we need and now is the time to 'do everething it takes' to help the team to kick on. So if Ulloa instead goes to a rival it would mean that he was available and would be a huge missed opportunity by the people running the transfers.

He's scored 7 goals in the last two and a half seasons (1 last season and 6 the year before) and is yet to score this season, why does everyone think he'll be the missing piece of the puzzle? Yes he's scored at almost 1 in 2 in the championship but he's also not played in the championship in 3 and a half years, added to the fact he's hardly played this season so won't be match fit or be overly sharp to drop into a team chasing promotion.

There will always be question marks no matter who we sign but Ulloa has proven himself in the Championship and was an integral role player in the Leicester side that won the title. But the fact of the matter is that he's not good enough for a team with Leicesters ambitions since then.

The most important thing, for me, is that he's exactly the right type of player for us and of course the fact that he was a beast at Brighton. He's big, strong and can hold the ball up but he's also a poacher.
Gayle, for example, might be a better player and have a better record but I'm not so sure it's that type of striker we need.

He wasn't integral in their league win. He scored 6 times and started 7 games. He's played 19mins all this season and is 31. I am delighted it doesn't look like we are going there.

Personaly I would love us to sign Ulloa. If not then Crouch for a season would be ok.

Crouch? Complete lack of imagination on this board. Grabban - yawn. Ulloa - yawn. Crouch - zzzz. These arent forward thinking options, we need the next Vardy, Gray, etc not the old ones.

Thanks for the insult. We may differ but until now I wouldn't have dreamt of suggesting that you were a deluded, arrogant fool.  Ulloa was superb for Leicester in their Prem winning season and has only featured less often because he is not the best fit in the Leicester team.  Given his ability he has found it hard to accept not getting regular starts but there is no suggestion he has an attitude problem, just a healthy desire to play.  He is very powerful, has an excellent shots to goals conversion rate, is good with his head and works hard. Crouch is someone who is grossly underrated by many who are less well informed (such as yourself it would seem); he is far more than just a tall man, he has excellent balance, quick feet and skill with a superb nose for goal. He is also a personal friend and I can tell you that he is extremely fit and could easily slot in and cope with 90 mins in the championship.

Lighthouse

Quote from: grandad on January 18, 2018, 03:08:26 PM
-.-. --- -.-- .--
There is also Morse Code.
Translate the above letters.

My Mum was a radio operator in the war and had to listen and translate and send Morse Code. As a kid I used to be fairly good. Now sadly it has mostly gone. However I concur with the message.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Deeping_white

Quote from: Twig on January 18, 2018, 03:19:12 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on January 18, 2018, 02:31:28 PM

Thanks for the insult. We may differ but until now I wouldn't have dreamt of suggesting that you were a deluded, arrogant fool.  Ulloa was superb for Leicester in their Prem winning season and has only featured less often because he is not the best fit in the Leicester team.  Given his ability he has found it hard to accept not getting regular starts but there is no suggestion he has an attitude problem, just a healthy desire to play.  He is very powerful, has an excellent shots to goals conversion rate, is good with his head and works hard. Crouch is someone who is grossly underrated by many who are less well informed (such as yourself it would seem); he is far more than just a tall man, he has excellent balance, quick feet and skill with a superb nose for goal. He is also a personal friend and I can tell you that he is extremely fit and could easily slot in and cope with 90 mins in the championship.

Ulloa in 15/16: 35 apps, 6 goals in 1536 mins (966 of which were in the prem)
Ulloa in 16/17: 24 apps, 1 goal  in 724 mins
Ulloa in 17:18: 07 apps, 0 goals in 280 mins

Total:              66 apps, 7 goals in 2540 mins

You really want us to sign a guy who has scored 1 goal in 31 appearances in the last two seasons? Fonte gets scapegoated a lot for scoring 1 in 20 so how on earth can you justify someone with worse stats over a longer period of time? He's not even scoring for their reserve teams, and he's hardly important to a title winning side if he makes 960 mins worth of appearances which is just over 10 full games in a 38 game season.

mkras99

Ed Aarons‏
@ed_aarons

West Brom to raise bid for Fulham's Tom Cairney to £15m after £12m offer was rejected #wbafc #ffc

11:19 AM - 18 Jan 2018

davew

Quote from: Hoppus on January 18, 2018, 10:11:45 AM

Grabban to Cardiff, Ulloa to Villa.. why is it so hard for Fulham to sign a striker?
Our target is to get a 20+ goal a season household name striker either on loan or on a free transfer which might be why we are struggling!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 18, 2018, 12:32:37 PM
Quote from: hovewhite on January 18, 2018, 11:23:54 AM
Crouch a good player with a great touch and scores goals to boot,that would be a hell of a signing Fulham!

It most certainly would.
I actually disagree with you on this one, maybe I am biased or short sighted but I just don't rate him! We used to have a striker who was pretty good in the air and could hold the ball up, think his name was Matt Smith and I didn't rate him either!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: davew on January 18, 2018, 04:45:15 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 18, 2018, 12:32:37 PM
Quote from: hovewhite on January 18, 2018, 11:23:54 AM
Crouch a good player with a great touch and scores goals to boot,that would be a hell of a signing Fulham!

It most certainly would.
I actually disagree with you on this one, maybe I am biased or short sighted but I just don't rate him! We used to have a striker who was pretty good in the air and could hold the ball up, think his name was Matt Smith and I didn't rate him either!
To be fair, Matt Smith is NO Peter Crouch. 
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

grandad

Reference to Crouch. We can´t cross a ball & we don´t play hoof ball so what use would he be to us. Wouldn´t want us to change our style just to justify having Crouch.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Matt10

Quote from: grandad on January 18, 2018, 05:28:24 PM
Reference to Crouch. We can´t cross a ball & we don´t play hoof ball so what use would he be to us. Wouldn´t want us to change our style just to justify having Crouch.

Exactly. Player suggestions that don't match our style does not make sense.

Fulham Tup North

Adam Forshaw has joined Leeds United from M'Boro.
4.5 yer deal.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

One James stannard

Quote from: mlangstrom on January 17, 2018, 08:01:36 PM
I think jon walters could do a job for us, sounds like he is on the move

Great shout, wouldn't cost that much. Certainly knows where the goal is  :54:

Rambler

Getting short on defenders now. I really hope a first team centre back comes in this window