https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riverside Development Update

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 06, 2019, 02:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Putney_

Quote from: SP on July 08, 2019, 09:26:57 PM
Great pics, thank you.

The last time they started removing the seats from the Riverside it was part of the general running down of our club.  How brilliant this time it's for possitive reasons.

Wow I didn't know they got as far as actually removing seats!

Burt

Quote from: Ged on July 08, 2019, 10:50:12 PM
Quote from: One Martin Thomas on July 08, 2019, 10:16:41 PM
Quote from: Burt on July 08, 2019, 09:58:50 PM
Great pics, thank you.

The last time they started removing the seats from the Riverside it was part of the general running down of our club.  How brilliant this time it's for possitive reasons.

Yes - took me back to the dark days in the 80s!!

Didn't they change the Riverside seats with new ones purchased from Derby's old Baseball Ground ? Sure they did ....
If true it wouldn't have been the riverside stand but the Putney End as it was about the same time we got promoted  that the baseball ground was demolished

That's the first time I have heard that! I wonder if there's any truth in it?

One Martin Thomas

I am fairly positive it did happen ! I may need to check my old programmes...

Carborundum

Thanks for the photos.

Gets me wondering how much colder and windier it will be once the existing stand comes down.  Cheery thought for a July evening I know.

brightster

Quote from: Burt on July 09, 2019, 09:46:23 AM
Quote from: Ged on July 08, 2019, 10:50:12 PM
Quote from: One Martin Thomas on July 08, 2019, 10:16:41 PM
Quote from: Burt on July 08, 2019, 09:58:50 PM
Great pics, thank you.

Yes - took me back to the dark days in the 80s!!

Didn't they change the Riverside seats with new ones purchased from Derby's old Baseball Ground ? Sure they did ....
If true it wouldn't have been the riverside stand but the Putney End as it was about the same time we got promoted  that the baseball ground was demolished

That's the first time I have heard that! I wonder if there's any truth in it?

Not sure the old baseball ground had that style of seats when it closed, but could be wrong.

SP

Quote from: _Putney_ on July 09, 2019, 08:58:04 AM
Great pics, thank you.

Blocks of seats were removed over a period of a few weeks, presumably to reduce overheads as attendances were so low.  I recall seeing a few photos of what I imagine was the early 80s?

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on June 06, 2019, 05:12:47 PM
Zamora?

Tosh Chamberlain more like.
Anyone know how he is? Well up into to eighties I believe.
Hope he is well.

+1 100%

_Putney_

Quote from: SP on July 09, 2019, 06:45:56 PM
Quote from: _Putney_ on July 09, 2019, 08:58:04 AM
Great pics, thank you.

Blocks of seats were removed over a period of a few weeks, presumably to reduce overheads as attendances were so low.  I recall seeing a few photos of what I imagine was the early 80s?

I wonder how much it cost to pay the people to remove the seats XD

Andy S

Wooden seats were common in a lot of football grounds prior to the Bradford fire. The JH stand here at Fulham was closed until a sprinkler system was fitted. Supporters were caged in grounds following the Sheff Weds disaster. In fact football supporters were treated incredibly badly during the 1980's

Fulham Joe

Dodger53

A couple of comments - They have probably sold the seats to another club, many years ago I remember Mansfield Town buying the whole Hurst Park stand (Horse racing near Hampton Court) and does this all mean the end of the puddle in the gate at Bishops Park?

bobby01

Quote from: Fulham Joe on July 10, 2019, 12:53:05 PM
We've seen worse days.

Was this when we announced crowd changes to the team.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

ealex40

Quote from: Dodger53 on July 10, 2019, 01:49:17 PM
A couple of comments - They have probably sold the seats to another club, many years ago I remember Mansfield Town buying the whole Hurst Park stand (Horse racing near Hampton Court) and does this all mean the end of the puddle in the gate at Bishops Park?
Hi Ian,
Valerie and I sat in that stand when we were 0-2 down at halftime and finally won 3-2, back in 1969-70, just before leaving England for the USA.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: Fulham Joe on July 10, 2019, 12:53:05 PM
We've seen worse days.

Don't say that!
The "fine figure" in the red & blue top with hand carefully placed on hip is ME!!
Minus (for some reason) the proverbial King Edward cigar smoked during matches to calm my nerves
How I miss the arguments with the occasional away fans who used to dare to stand with us in the Putney End
Now of course I am an old git so far more sensible (well not really)
Great days,bless the 3,500!!
COYW!!

HillingdonFFC

Designs been amended, health club instead of apartments at the Putney end now

Nightwind15

I have it, on good authority, there is suspected Roman gold buried along the river. 
I played in the first match I ever saw!

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I loved those weeds at the Putney End.
Gave us a real 'home town' club
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Woolly Mammoth

Those weeds were Cardiff Supporters
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Friendsoffulham

Nice shot of Craven Cottage and can see how much of the park is being taken up with the work compound.

filham

It would be nice to have a glimpse of the works programme, I wonder when the demolition of the stand is due to take place, sometime during the season I imagine.