watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Team in for tonight / Matchday thread Porto

Started by sunburywhite, July 16, 2019, 07:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

It was of course only a warm up but a lot of the faults and shortcommings from last season were there on display..
Didn't see anything likely to bother championship teams too much.
A lot of work needed by Scotty and a couple of new faces needed over the next week or two.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on July 16, 2019, 10:34:45 PM
If we're going to play possession football, there is a strong case for Rodak over Bettinelli.

I thought Betts was Fulham's MOTM.

ALG01

reminded me of the friendly last season against celta vigo. it was obvious then we did not have a good enough squad, and the same was apparent tonight. prepare fr a dreadful season is my outlook, because TK has failed to bring in the required players once again. I can hardly ait for deadline day loans and injured players.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: ALG01 on July 16, 2019, 10:35:47 PM
reminded me of the friendly last season against celta vigo. it was obvious then we did not have a good enough squad, and the same was apparent tonight. prepare fr a dreadful season is my outlook, because TK has failed to bring in the required players once again. I can hardly ait for deadline day loans and injured players.

Jesus, do you wake up every morning annoyed at being alive?

Sting of the North

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on July 16, 2019, 10:32:28 PM
Quote from: love4ffc on July 16, 2019, 10:24:58 PM
That could have easily been a Penality by Christy.  Very lucky it's a friendly I think.

He had a penalty in the last game that led to the winning goal.   He needs to clean that up.

I thought he looked much better in the second half except for the near penalty though.

O'Riley looks slow.    Ivan looks like a good pickup if he can learn to play with Mitro and whomever else is up top.

Good exhibition.

Funny how we see things differently. Christie could maybe have avoided the extra little tackle, but never a penalty, won it fair and square just the Porto player being a drama queen. Don't think he should be criticized for that, but rather applauded for getting in there before the attacker.

Thought O'Riley looked very comfortable on the ball, got a feeling (just based on this showing) that he will force himself into SP's plans. Just one of those hunches.

Woolly Mammoth

I was quite pleased with our second half performance, taking into consideration the quality of the opponents.
I thought we improved as the game wore on. Although that could easily have been a penalty by Christie, he cannot be so careless with his challenges.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

JoelH5

Not bad against a very good team. Porto would walk the championship. We still need a solid defender to come in. Alfie looked decent. For me, it was more about the match fitness. Great to see a lot of the players manage 70 mins and we still have a few friendlies left.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Sting of the North

We are going to play in the Championship this year, not the PL. Huge difference. Most teams in the Championship would struggle against Porto.

ALG01

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 16, 2019, 10:37:15 PM
I was quite pleased with our second half performance, taking into consideration the quality of the opponents.
I thought we improved as the game wore on. Although that could easily have been a penalty by Christie, he cannot be so careless with his challenges.

christie is quite frankly a dreadful player that should not be at an aspiring club. I see nothing about him that inspires confidence and we need a proper RB asap.
as far as bryan is concerned. I think he is an OK cover for a proper LCB but he too is s[pectacularly unimpressive despite the foiction I hear about him being a good defender.

JoelH5

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 16, 2019, 10:39:10 PM

We are going to play in the Championship this year, not the PL. Huge difference. Most teams in the Championship would struggle against Porto.

All*

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on July 16, 2019, 10:36:40 PM

064.gif

FulhamStu

We did ok, lacked a bit of a cutting edge but plenty to work with.
Thought Christie did pretty well.  Was it Fonte that replaced Mitro, both totally lacked service.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ALG01 on July 16, 2019, 10:39:57 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 16, 2019, 10:37:15 PM

christie is quite frankly a dreadful player that should not be at an aspiring club. I see nothing about him that inspires confidence and we need a proper RB asap.
as far as bryan is concerned. I think he is an OK cover for a proper LCB but he too is s[pectacularly unimpressive despite the foiction I hear about him being a good defender.

I agree with you about Christie, I cannot see him holding down a place, he appears out of his depth.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ALG01

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 16, 2019, 10:41:37 PM
Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on July 16, 2019, 10:36:40 PM

now you mention it  i do!  :005:

To be honest i hate being the endless voice of misery but TK just fails to learn a single thing, and the lessons are not that hard to learn.
He seems a nice enough bloke and committed to the cause, but I loath what he is doing wrong. His arrogance is spectacular and he should have the guts to step aside. fat chance of that. Come the end of the season I am certain I will be proved right unless he pulss a rabbit from the hat mighty quickly.

ALG01

Quote from: JoelH5 on July 16, 2019, 10:40:08 PM

All*

I am well aware of that, but our performance nontheless, even for a friendly was poor and the bench frightningly lacking. Bottom 8 unless TK wakes up and has a road to damscuss moment.

Mince n Tatties

He could pull a rabbit out of the hat,we could sign
Bunny Warren who plays for Tooting...lol

JoelH5

Quote from: ALG01 on July 16, 2019, 10:49:55 PM

All*

I am well aware of that, but our performance nontheless, even for a friendly was poor and the bench frightningly lacking. Bottom 8 unless TK wakes up and has a road to damscuss moment.

I dont think we'll be top 2 with that defence but bottom 8? No chance. You over estimate the championship. We've already got arguably the best st in the league in Mitro and winger in Cav.

Tabby

I thought O'Riley did well replacing Kmac in the second half. Showed good composure and picked some good passes.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: ALG01 on July 16, 2019, 10:49:55 PM

All*

Bottom 8???

You've watched enough Championship games last year an paid close enough attention to this summers transfers to say

Swansea
Forest
Brentford
Sheff Wednesday
Preston
Hull
Stoke
Birmingham
Bourough
Derby

Have more appealing championship sides than Fulham FC?

Bull.   Anguissa, Ream and Ryan Sess didn't even travel to Portugal and all three are still under contract and in the starting 11 when healthy.

Matt10

Interesting to see the tactics Porto used against us defensively. They defend in what almost looks like a 4-4-2, but very high pressure to ensure all 3 corners of the triangle are covered - basically completley isolating our creative midfielders with difficulty to turn.

I am personally a bit tired of thinking about another year of 1 forward in our 4-3-3 set up. Even though this was a 4-3-3, it felt more like a 4-5-1 with Mitro/Fonte completely on an island. Porto on the other hand had 2 forwards more often and that resulted in one of the forwards to turn and face our defenders, while the other forward dragged either CB out of position.

Granted, crossing could have been better, not to mention actual opportunities to go at the defence instead of trying to circulate it all around the defensive third of the pitch.

Cavaleiro looked lively, as did Kebano. Kamara's pace is frightening, but the moment of truth for him was not converted. Cairney struggled with the pressure, while Johansen seldom had room to thread passes.

Tough match, but good test. Enjoyed it.