watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Team in for tonight / Matchday thread Porto

Started by sunburywhite, July 16, 2019, 07:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

I do despair at some of the comments. Not sure if real Fulham fans could make them. Still it takes all sorts. As friendly games go it was a good fitness workout. Not sure it shows we will win the league or come last. But then it never was meant for that. As most would agree we need strengthening but then there is time for that to happen. Overall a good workout. Not sure any other conclusion can be made. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Tabby

I think that a getting right sided central defender is a priority, otherwise I'd expect Parker to be playing Mawson on the right to get him used to it.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on July 16, 2019, 10:57:32 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on July 16, 2019, 10:49:55 PM
Quote from: JoelH5 on July 16, 2019, 10:40:08 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on July 16, 2019, 10:39:10 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on July 16, 2019, 10:35:47 PM
reminded me of the friendly last season against celta vigo. it was obvious then we did not have a good enough squad, and the same was apparent tonight. prepare fr a dreadful season is my outlook, because TK has failed to bring in the required players once again. I can hardly ait for deadline day loans and injured players.

We are going to play in the Championship this year, not the PL. Huge difference. Most teams in the Championship would struggle against Porto.

All*

I am well aware of that, but our performance nontheless, even for a friendly was poor and the bench frightningly lacking. Bottom 8 unless TK wakes up and has a road to damscuss moment.

Bottom 8???

You've watched enough Championship games last year an paid close enough attention to this summers transfers to say

Swansea
Forest
Brentford
Sheff Wednesday
Preston
Hull
Stoke
Birmingham
Bourough
Derby

Have more appealing championship sides than Fulham FC?

Bull.   Anguissa, Ream and Ryan Sess didn't even travel to Portugal and all three are still under contract and in the starting 11 when healthy.

I understand where your coming from, but neither Ream or Anguissa are a shoe in for a starting place, they have to earn it.
I would like to think that Anguissa has the all round ability to make an impact in the Championship, but I am not convinced, and I question his application, so the jury is still out for me on him. Who knows where Sess will end up.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Deeping_white

So we lost to a team who are probably expecting to make the last 16 of the champions league at a minimum and all of a sudden we're going to finish towards the bottom of the championship? Porto have some absolutely fantastic players and once we got going as a team I saw plenty of positives. A new right sided centre half and potentially a right back and we've got a pretty good team on our hands, and if we're able to get someone like Besic in and a backup striker too then I think we're sorted

Fulhamerica

reminded me of the friendly last season against celta vigo. it was obvious then we did not have a good enough squad, and the same was apparent tonight. prepare fr a dreadful season is my outlook, because TK has failed to bring in the required players once again. I can hardly ait for deadline day loans and injured players.

You should watch something that doesn't make you this miserable, Fulham isn't for you 

Sting of the North

Quote from: Fulhamerica on July 16, 2019, 11:54:14 PM

You should watch something that doesn't make you this miserable, Fulham isn't for you

Regardless of what you think of someone's comments, why do you believe it to be your place to determine what people should or shouldn't watch? Every here is entitled to their opinion about the club, since that is what this message board is about. We are all Fulham fans, at the end of the day.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Fulhamerica on July 16, 2019, 11:54:14 PM

To pick you up may i remind you who wasn't starting

Rodak

Fossey, MLM, Ream, S.Sess

Anguissa Seri Cisse

Calveriro Atyie R.Sess

Bench: Fabri, Djola, Edun, Riley, Torres, Fonte, MTC

The Rational Fan

This game was a warmup for some players, but not for Rodák, S.Sess, De La Torre, Francois, O'Riley, Opoku, Edun and Harris. Any opinions on the case for each of those players making the first team squad being improved or reduced.

..FOF..

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on July 16, 2019, 10:34:45 PM
If we're going to play possession football, there is a strong case for Rodak over Bettinelli.

Glad to hear this.... our goalkeeping standard need to be pushed to the stratosphere for consistency in excellence...  Fulham was a giant killer with top keeper like Van Der Sar.

Quote from: love4ffc on July 16, 2019, 10:29:43 PM
Not going to read to much into this Porto friendly.  Thought it was a good run out for FFC.  Saw some moments of excitement that show some real creativity.  Also saw some nervy moments in the back defense so nothing has changed there, as of yet. 

Great to see the likes of Steven Sess, O'Riley Luca in the second half.  Overall, I'm happy and looking forward to the new season. 

As long as we are improving, no matter how little week in week out, I am happy:D

KJS

I hope you have had your belt tie and shoelaces removed and all razors hidden!!

Get real it was a preseason game following 9 days of intense training against a Champions league team🙄
Perhaps you should stick to watching netbsll

Mince n Tatties

"The folks that live on the Hill" is a way to describe this forum sometimes, the moaners who moan and get worked up about people moaning.
Chill out for the love,most what is said is tongue in cheek(well mine is to see some reaction),read between the lines of a messsge.
Getting back to the game,Poor first half,improvement second half(be it against their under 14's) looking at a couple of them.
Overall decent work out against a decent side.
6 out of 10....Onwards and upwards.. Coyw.😊

bobby01

Same old same old. I was hoping we would move away from some people always having a go at the same players because they dislike them, for example Odoi getting blasted by a poster for various things then a quote after someone had talked about anonymous players saying they didn't know he was playing.
Cairney was pretty much non existent again, but as he is a lot of people's favourite he gets no criticism, and we are setting up the team for him to play.
I do not have a gripe about any player wearing the shirt, they have been picked and I believe they don't go out to play poorly, but the way some are immune from any criticism astounds me. If they have a poor game the point of this forum is to discuss views.
Porto are a very good side. It is pre season. Players are getting a run out. Tactics are being tweaked and SP is looking for a style of play.
Harsh criticism at the moment I feel is unjustified.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

toshes mate

Not a lot to be upset about at this stage of the proceedings.  FFC looked a little ring rusty and Porto not so much, but there was enough to demonstrate that the work is in progress and, at the very least, there was a team on the pitch that we may have to start the season with in several days time.  As for individuals and their mistakes or otherwise I have seen far worse from some of these players several weeks into the proper season.  Last night was much closer to what I observed from SJ in his first preseason and I was not expecting that from SP.  I am not suggesting SP has got it made but he has obviously been working through some ideas which may bear fruit in a month or so. 

Jim©

I thought we did pretty well against a very good (1/4 finalist of Champs league last season) side.Christie impressed 2nd half, AK looked like he'd improved touch and awareness a bit. If you were a defender, you'd not look forward to him battering away at you. neeskens looked lively. Didn't think Stefan/KMac or Odoi put forward a great case for reinclusion.
Not too sure about O'Reilly- just thought he really lacked energy but as said above, their MF press was constant and meant our midfield were often facing our own goal when picking up the ball.

As someone else said, this Porto team would walk the Championship, so it was a good test.

Andy S

Statto

I wouldn't infer much from a single, relatively early pre-season friendly, but equally, some are going way OTT about how good Porto are. In economic terms they're someone between a top 2 Championship side and a bottom 3 PL side. So comparable to Norwich.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Statto on July 17, 2019, 11:09:38 AM
I wouldn't infer much from a single, relatively early pre-season friendly, but equally, some are going way OTT about how good Porto are. In economic terms they're someone between a top 2 Championship side and a bottom 3 PL side. So comparable to Norwich.

Last season in the Champions League Porto were w5 d1 l0 in the Group Stage facing Schalke, Galatasaray and Locomotive Moscow and beat Roma in the round of 16 before losing to Liverpool, the eventual Champions.

Not bad for a Championship side or PL relegation side.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on July 17, 2019, 11:39:15 AM
Quote from: Statto on July 17, 2019, 11:09:38 AM

Last season in the Champions League Porto were w5 d1 l0 in the Group Stage facing Schalke, Galatasaray and Locomotive Moscow and beat Roma in the round of 16 before losing to Liverpool, the eventual Champions.

Not bad for a Championship side or PL relegation side.

You are correct in that they had a good year in the Champions League. Doesn't really contradict what Statto wrote though, does it?

70sPimlico

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 17, 2019, 06:11:06 AM
the moaners who moan and get worked up about people moaning.
Chill out for the love,most what is said is tongue in cheek(well mine is to see some reaction),

You're complaining about people negaitively reacting to your posts, that you say were posted to wind people up and motivate a reaction.

and you're pretty proactive in this. (Is there an understatement emoji?)

Ruleszz

Kamara actually did a nice job tbh, nothing silly like he use too, should of scoree but that could be down to holidays hes had not playing last 2 months