https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bettinelli

Started by Denver Fulham, October 05, 2019, 03:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cookieg

Quote from: Denver Fulham on October 26, 2019, 08:35:18 PM
Quote from: Dodgin on October 26, 2019, 07:41:54 PM
Good interview on the Fulham website, admitting he has not been at his best, should feel better after today

Betts was solid today in a tough spot cold off the bench, but his general weaknesses were still on display. He did come for a couple free kicks near the edge of his area, but a couple others from the run of play he seemed rooted and we were fortunate Boro wasted the chances. He also got caught guessing on their free kick and wasn't agile enough to recover, with the post saving him. No one is saying Betts is incompetent. He's just not at the level we should have in goal with this roster. They've given Rodak a look and hard to say he's done better, so it remains an issue.

Betts is an average keeper at this level who has had a good half a season a couple of years ago. For me I can't see that he has the ability to improve beyond where he is now. Rodak may be the future but we could do with a better no.1.

Twig

As far as I am concerned Betts is still out number one. Not a Van D S or a Schwartzer but still our current number one. As such we should get behind him, at least until we have better.

Marinelloguthrie

Quote from: Twig on October 26, 2019, 09:19:11 PM
As far as I am concerned Betts is still out number one. Not a Van D S or a Schwartzer but still our current number one. As such we should get behind him, at least until we have better.

Completely agree, suits no one to keep chipping away at our keepers confidence

toshes mate

I believe Bettinelli and Rodak are much the same standard overall with the former having the greater match experience at this level but the latter having the ability to get much better with similar experience.

I feel Rodak may have been very hard done by yesterday.  If you look at the social media photo suggesting the ball was hitting his hand it is ample evidence that he was the victim of a poor refereeing decision.  If you look at this telephoto shot and allow for lens foreshortening and the angle it is taken (which can be determined by Howson's position with no goal woodwork in view), there is no way it was taken at point of ball contact with Rodak's body and was most likely taken after the ball had hit him (somewhere) and rebounded back away from goal at similar pace to when it struck him.  I think it most likely hit the right side of his chest.  I would love to see the run of photos taken by the camera in question if there were multi-shots because they could decide the matter one way or another. 

Mince n Tatties

No protest or appeal from the club.

Moltobueno

When it comes to playing with feet, Betts is better than Rodak. But the time wasting in every game is becoming annoying and a bit embarrassing

Andy S

It's hand ball because that is what the ref said. That is his job. It's Rodak job to be a goal keeper and leave the up field stuff to others

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Moltobueno on October 27, 2019, 03:27:57 PM
When it comes to playing with feet, Betts is better than Rodak. But the time wasting in every game is becoming annoying and a bit embarrassing

Bettinelli has been forced to play with the ball at his feet for years now, and still isn't particularly good at it.

Rodak, given the chance, doesn't have to do much to excel Betts abilities.

love4ffc

I would be curious, is there a keeper out there that is currently out of favor or possible third choice riding the pine, that could be brought in short term to shore up the goal.  Perhaps someone who could be a great example of experience and knowledge for Rodak to learn from. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Milo

My father watched Rodak when he went on loan and didn't think he will be our saviour.

Time to spend money I think.

MJG

Less than a game and half in goal and written off already?
Just the views of a long term fan

love4ffc

I'm not writing off Rodak but, would be interested in a possible aging keeper that could come in and help provide an option and an experienced hand for Rodak to learn from. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Forever Fulham

Betts was at his best when we had a settled back 4, when the mids would transition back quickly on lost possession.  Betts knew what the 4 in front of him were going to do.  Situational football.  We were covering for each other.  A pressure guy and a cover guy behind him.  He's no worse than he was back then.  But the settled expectations about those around him have changed.  At least that's how it looks to me.  If we wanted promotion at the end of this season, Parker wasn't the guy to get it done.  Why do people think ex-players are automatically gifted with manager skills when they retire?  I'll never understand that.  Or that a popular player will most certainly end up an effective manager?  Slava had "it", whatever "it" is.   

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 28, 2019, 08:18:05 PM
If we wanted promotion at the end of this season, Parker wasn't the guy to get it done.  Why do people think ex-players are automatically gifted with manager skills when they retire?  I'll never understand that.  Or that a popular player will most certainly end up an effective manager?  Slava had "it", whatever "it" is.   

We can argue whether Scotty is the right choice, but management apparently believed he could deliver it because this roster was 100% built for promotion this season. To suggest otherwise (not that you are) is foolish. Look at the ages of the key players and the loan-to-buy options on the contracts we gave out.

That's why the relative weakness at goalkeeper is so noticeable and frustrating.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: Denver Fulham on October 28, 2019, 08:31:12 PM
Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 28, 2019, 08:18:05 PM
If we wanted promotion at the end of this season, Parker wasn't the guy to get it done.  Why do people think ex-players are automatically gifted with manager skills when they retire?  I'll never understand that.  Or that a popular player will most certainly end up an effective manager?  Slava had "it", whatever "it" is.   

We can argue whether Scotty is the right choice, but management apparently believed he could deliver it because this roster was 100% built for promotion this season. To suggest otherwise (not that you are) is foolish. Look at the ages of the key players and the loan-to-buy options on the contracts we gave out.

That's why the relative weakness at goalkeeper is so noticeable and frustrating.

With respect, Denver, if the roster was 100% built for promotion this season, then a seasoned manager with a record of accomplishments would have us top two or three at this point.  A collection of talented players who accomplished much on their respective previous teams needs but a good manager to get such talent to produce as a team.  Is that happening here?  No need to reply.  I could be all wet, and Parker may yet turn out a gem of a manager.  There's still a little time left to start consistently winning.  Not midnight yet. 

FFC1987

Quote from: MJG on October 28, 2019, 05:54:43 PM
Less than a game and half in goal and written off already?

That's always the problem with a competitive squad. When you get your chance, you have to take it or be replaced. Sadly, being sent off in the circumstances with a suspension means he's being replaced and might not see much, or any game time for the rest of the year now. Last year it happened to both Fabri and Betts with Rico stepping up. I'm not writing him off but unless Betts has some terrible form, I don't see much game time for Rodak.