more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Oh no mah

Started by Finnans Right Peg, November 09, 2019, 07:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Carborundum on November 29, 2019, 10:29:16 PM
A win against play off contenders.  Away from home.  He's obviously not relaxed and settled, but it's not stopped us getting all three. He may yet prove an important player for us this season.  Patience needed.  No need to rush to judgement. 

He reminds me of Ollie Norwood, who took ages to get the hang of our passing patterns.  Did alright for us, doing even better for Sheffield. 

4 wins in 4. Didn't see that coming as they trudged off after Hull. Couldn't see us getting 4 points in the next 4.

He is a useful member of the 18 as he can play a few positions decently while adding a physical presence. I watched a great deal of him while he was with Tottenham and think this might be his level. A squad player in the Championship. No shame in that.

Matt10

As much as some may not like it. Our two goals do not happen without him on the pitch. The first goal he played a part by first making a terrible pass at the top of their box, but makes up for it by chasing down Ayew and forcing him into a tough spot, where he loses the ball. The second goal, he reads the back pass and intercepts the ball, then, of course, finds himself in a good spot but whiffs.

Some good things, some areas to improve upon, especially on his awareness of what is around him. Often times he was dispossessed from simply not looking at what's around him. I'd also want him to put in more effort like he did one time where we were surely going to concede a chance, but he managed to track back far enough. However, there were times when he was a bit lackadaisical in getting back. If I had to grade his performance, it'd be a D+ . He needs more time, but I'm happy he was at least on the pitch to be part of the goals.

Yamus

80 minutes of Onoma doesn't say much for the bench.

MJG

I'm not going to use some of the hyperbole that some are using in regard to Onomah. He hasn't actually played a lot of minutes for us yet so jury for me is out.... But as the case laid out to me so far I'm struggling to see what he offers. Clearly he's a fav of Parker and Wells, and any fan would want him to do well, but I'm finding it difficult to say much that's positive about him. Using AK as an example, even early on I thought his pace, strength were great assests, with Onomah I'm not sure what his strengths are.
Just the views of a long term fan

Fulham 442

Quote from: fulhamben on November 29, 2019, 10:23:53 PM
Quote from: Barrett487 on November 29, 2019, 10:20:16 PM
Look, i'm not a Parkerite, but i have to believe that he saw some potential in Onomah and vice versa that made him agree to signing, and that  the player saw a path of progression in him. Five years from now we may be lauding his skills.
lets hope we are lauding his skills. But our first team at the moment is not the place for him to hone them. This is a tough league and we need to be strong in every position. Granted we have lots of injuries, but we could easily jog around the team so as not to need him to start
I don't think Onomah was particularly happy to be leaving Spurs. Whatever Parker saw in him whilst he was coaching there seems to have evaporated.  Some posters were saying we couldn't judge him fairly until he started and got some decent game time. Well now he has and I am definitely of the opinion he's not good enough,  Hopefully he will improve, although I haven't seen much to suggest he will, but our first team is not a suitable training ground.

toshes mate

Like others I always find it hard to assess players om a few minutes played here and there. And the odd start is definitely not enough to make a coherent assessment of a player. 

At the start of the game I thought he found it hard to get into his role, nerves or whatever, but he did settle and whilst he was not 'a star is born' he was okay up to a point and did make some contributions.  He clearly needs more game time and a more defined role since he isn't a natural fit on last night's performance.   Clearly a player who grows on you rather than the person you most want to be on the ball.  But I think people write him off at their peril.  He seems to need remedial work in coaching for fitness, strength and stamina to make up for low game time and once he is moving a bit better then he may play better too.  His confidence must be quite low.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: MJG on November 30, 2019, 07:38:20 AM
I'm not going to use some of the hyperbole that some are using in regard to Onomah. He hasn't actually played a lot of minutes for us yet so jury for me is out.... But as the case laid out to me so far I'm struggling to see what he offers. Clearly he's a fav of Parker and Wells, and any fan would want him to do well, but I'm finding it difficult to say much that's positive about him. Using AK as an example, even early on I thought his pace, strength were great assests, with Onomah I'm not sure what his strengths are.

:plus one:  Sums up my view.  Hope Onomah changes my mind.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

colinwhite

seems a bit off the pace,which is hardly surprising since he lacks playing time. Not great but nowhere near as bad as som are making out.

SuffolkWhite

I think Onomah was average but not awful so itbis what it is. Artur, Reid and Reed will be above him in the pecking order!
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

snarks

Looks like we're trying to find a scapegoat, he's not an automatic selection to start and nor should he be, but he can do a squad job and does

MJG

Quote from: snarks on November 30, 2019, 09:47:03 AM
Looks like we're trying to find a scapegoat, he's not an automatic selection to start and nor should he be, but he can do a squad job and does
Not sure about that, general consensus is we are expecting more than we are seeing... You can correct me if thats wrong.... But hardly a scapegoat in a win, just mainly comments on how he played. In any game there will the 11th starter who is the 'worst' on the pitch. Doesn't mean they played badly, just out of the starters he was ranked 11th. Could win a game 10-0 and that would still be true.
Just the views of a long term fan

Southcoastffc

And don't just look at last night.  Ok, he's not had many minutes but when he's come on as a sub, as he has done in several games, he's been pretty poor. He often looks clumsy and uncoordinated.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

fulhamben

Quote from: Southcoastffc on November 30, 2019, 10:13:45 AM
And don't just look at last night.  Ok, he's not had many minutes but when he's come on as a sub, as he has done in several games, he's been pretty poor. He often looks clumsy and uncoordinated.
exactly that, I can't think of one circumstance where you would say Parker needs to bring on Onomah ASAP. I just don't see what he brings at all
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on November 30, 2019, 10:07:58 AM
Quote from: snarks on November 30, 2019, 09:47:03 AM
Not sure about that, general consensus is we are expecting more than we are seeing... You can correct me if thats wrong.... But hardly a scapegoat in a win, just mainly comments on how he played. In any game there will the 11th starter who is the 'worst' on the pitch. Doesn't mean they played badly, just out of the starters he was ranked 11th. Could win a game 10-0 and that would still be true.
In a nutshell.

Onomah hasn't impressed; I am fine with that assessment by those who wish to make it, but it does indicate an 'expectation' that the observer would be 'impressed'.  I am not sure what Onomah's best position is let alone the role it was anticipated he would play at FFC when he was signed in the summer.  He has a certain ungainly movement that reminds me a little of other Fulham players who have taken a while to be understood for their good points rather than their bad ones.  But he is here and his former coaches, who have spoken highly of him, have a point to prove to the rest of us and should concentrate on getting him up to the level where we can all see what they saw.  The alternative outcome is that there was never anything to see because the lad is stuck on a plateau and isn't going to move off it anytime soon.  That may mean he was a 'bad' signing for FFC but not, necessarily, a 'bad player, period'.  I hope he proves to be an asset player either through utility or by becoming a trusted player in a definite role.

Jim©

Quote from: Matt10 on November 30, 2019, 04:11:27 AM
As much as some may not like it. Our two goals do not happen without him on the pitch. The first goal he played a part by first making a terrible pass at the top of their box, but makes up for it by chasing down Ayew and forcing him into a tough spot, where he loses the ball. The second goal, he reads the back pass and intercepts the ball, then, of course, finds himself in a good spot but whiffs.

Some good things, some areas to improve upon, especially on his awareness of what is around him. Often times he was dispossessed from simply not looking at what's around him. I'd also want him to put in more effort like he did one time where we were surely going to concede a chance, but he managed to track back far enough. However, there were times when he was a bit lackadaisical in getting back. If I had to grade his performance, it'd be a D+ . He needs more time, but I'm happy he was at least on the pitch to be part of the goals.

I'd agree with this, we've got to give him bit of time to get into the game. Not only instrumental in both goals but also made a superb interception just inside our box when it looked like their player was going to be able to pass through ball into our net. Not a great performance, but a but like piazon last night, key to our goals.

Tabby

One of the main issues last night was how often he recieved the ball and then just had a Swansea player nick it off of him. I agree with that I don't really see what he brings, he is fairly clumsy at tackling, not a good passer and his technique is below par.

Would rather Parker gave a shot to O'Riley with all our injuries, but he seems to rate Onomah. Hopefully he can show why in the future since Parker will keep playing him, but I remain unconvinced.

sunburywhite

He made the second goal with a very good interception

He made one outstanding tackle in the box to stop a shot

Lay off him, he isnt exactly Fotheringham

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Skatzoffc

Quote from: Sting of the North on November 29, 2019, 11:10:19 PM
Quote from: Statto on November 29, 2019, 11:04:22 PM
Far from terrible IMO - acceptable performance given he's a stand-in and probably only playing because Reed, Reid and Arter are all out

Nonetheless he was a level (or two) below the rest of our front 6 tonight

And actually, he was given a full 90 minutes to show his stuff and I'm not even sure he did enough to stay ahead of McDonald in the pecking order

I generally agree with this, although have to point out that he only got 80 or so minutes (I know that's kind of beside the point). I was not impressed with either Cairney or Kamara generally today however, especially first half. Didn't think Onomah was much worse than them. In my book Onomah was one of several players not impressing me. I do however know that the others can play better, but have still to see that from Onomah.

Can't agree with the Cairney criticism.

Imo, he and Stephjo were again outstanding tonight.
They seem to have clicked into a very powerful passing/tackling partnership. This allowed Onomah to be a relatively free agent in the midfield.

Let's face it, if they hadn't been so on point, Onomah's deficiencies would have been far more noticeable.

A good win away from home against a very good attacking team tho.
COYW!

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

@jolslover

Quote from: MJG on November 30, 2019, 07:38:20 AM

Agree
STH H3

millsy

Slow in thought, slow in body and seems to lack awareness of what's around him, which is a pre-requisite for a midfielder at any level.

Hurry back Harry x 2 and Bobby.

If we need cover for Tom, for me it has to be young O'Reilly. I'm afraid we're not strong enough to carry Onomah, who seems lazy and either unable or unwilling to bust a gut to get into good positions.

On present form, I'm afraid I don't even see Josh as a squad player. Just my view.