more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Quote from: toshes mate on March 06, 2020, 02:15:49 PM
I read about a group in the US the other day who claim to have developed a vaccine 'that contains the missing protein necessary to combat Covid-19' whatever that may mean.Β  There was little or no information that I could find to collaborate the claim although it does seem a number of companies are pursuing a vaccine with some optimism although most of the information is (ironically) on the finance pages rather than the medicine pages.

That would be the antiviral remdesivir I guess. Currently entering Phase III human clinical trials (using mainly Asian candidates) due in March.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Luka

Quote from: grandad on March 06, 2020, 12:10:25 PM
600 people a year die from the seasonal flu. In some years it has been as high as 13,000. Forms of cancer, pneumonia, car deaths, murders etc account for thousands a year. LetΒ΄s keep it in context.

The experts think that up to 80% of the UK could eventually catch the virus becuase its spread is so fast and its so contagious.
Current estimates say there is 66m of us so thats 52m might get it.
Assuming the mortality rate is just 1.5% and only 50% of us eventually catch it then thats 495,000 dead people.

RaySmith

But how many people would die anyway, of other diseases, like flu, pneumonia, cancer, heart disease , etc?

love4ffc

Just having a conversation in one of my whatsapp groups about the virus and how people are hoarding toilet and tissue paper.Β  I said I don't understand whatever happened to handkerchiefs (hankies)?Β  Β  They just called me a proper old man.Β  092.gifΒ  :doh:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.Β  How will you standout when it counts?

keithh

It may be the case that the Mask Antivrus Respirators on sale should be bought by those with the Coronavirus who are coughing & sneezing as then they are protecting others from catching it from them.

Southcoastffc

I couldn't but laugh at the last line of this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Curad-Antiviral-Face-Mask-Count/dp/B009GGUIK6
Surgical Medical Flu Infection Face Masks- 20 Masks
3.0 out of 5 stars 11
3 used and new from Β£17.99
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

KingofCheese

Quote from: grandad on March 06, 2020, 12:10:25 PM
600 people a year die from the seasonal flu. In some years it has been as high as 13,000. Forms of cancer, pneumonia, car deaths, murders etc account for thousands a year. LetΒ΄s keep it in context.

Heres the context flu death rate 0.1% this outbreak potential death rate 1% that is 10 times greater. Let's take your 13000 * 10 and then see the problem, especially for our emergency services.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

KingofCheese

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on March 06, 2020, 03:25:27 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 06, 2020, 03:12:19 PM
People panic buying,apparently Poundland have ran out of paracetamol tablets,as if they do you much good.
One woman in Stoke has filled her cupboards with 80 tins of soup,and 40 tins of rice pudding.. lol,in case she gets laid up.

Laid up! if she eats that lot she will never get off the LooΒ  let alone go anywhere 064.gif

She also has 20000 rolls of toilet paper.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

YankeeJim

I saw one report which said that children seem less likely to contract corona virus than do adults. This particular strain seems different than so many others in that I've also read that it can morph into a different strain rather quickly. Only time will tell. Panic already seems to be setting in. There is a cruise ship in San Francisco Bay that has been refused docking privileges because, well, its a cruise ship. 3500 passengers with no one diagnosed. This in a city that allows humans to defecate on the city streets. Might not be a good time to invest your life savings in a tour company.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Spirit of 2000

WELL HERE YOU GO:

Everyone take a deep breath... you don't need more toilet paper! That won't help with the Coronavirus BUT HERES SOME INFORMATION THAT WILL! πŸ‘‡

βœ”οΈ 82,000 People are sick with Coronavirus at the moment, of which 77,000 are in China.
This means that if you are not in or haven't recently visited China, this should eliminate 94% of your concern.

πŸ§ͺ If you do contract Coronavirus, this still is not a cause for panic because:
81% of the Cases are MILD
14% of the Cases are MODERATE
Only 5% of the Cases are CRITICAL

πŸ˜‰ Which means that even if you do get the virus, you are most likely to recover from it.

πŸ™„ Some have said, "but this is worse than SARS!". SARS had a fatality rate of 10% while COVID-19 has a fatality rate of 2%

πŸ‘ Moreover, looking at the ages of those who are dying of this virus, the death rate for the people UNDER 50 years of age is only 0.2%

πŸ’° This means that if you are under 50 years of age and don't live in China - you are more likely to win the lottery (which has a 1 in 45,000,000 chance)

πŸ“š Let's take one of the worst days so far, the 10th of February, when 108 people in CHINA died of Coronavirus.

πŸ—Ί On the same day:
πŸ‘‰ 26,283 people died of Cancer
πŸ‘‰ 24,641 people died of Heart Disease
πŸ‘‰ 4,300 people died of Diabetes
πŸ‘‰ Suicide took 28 times more lives than the virus did.

🦟 Mosquitoes kill 2,740 people every day,
πŸ‘¨ HUMANS kill 1,300 fellow humans every day,
🐍 Snakes kill 137 people every day,
🦈 Sharks kill 2 people a year.

RAF_Fulham

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/51777154

If I miss the Leeds &/or QPR I am going to be fuming!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: RAF_Fulham on March 06, 2020, 08:10:26 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/51777154

If I miss the Leeds &/or QPR I am going to be fuming!

More likely it's the playoffs that we will all miss.

JoelH5

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on March 06, 2020, 07:19:07 PM
WELL HERE YOU GO:

Everyone take a deep breath... you don't need more toilet paper! That won't help with the Coronavirus BUT HERES SOME INFORMATION THAT WILL! πŸ‘‡

βœ”οΈ 82,000 People are sick with Coronavirus at the moment, of which 77,000 are in China.
This means that if you are not in or haven't recently visited China, this should eliminate 94% of your concern.

πŸ§ͺ If you do contract Coronavirus, this still is not a cause for panic because:

πŸ˜‰ Which means that even if you do get the virus, you are most likely to recover from it.

πŸ™„ Some have said, "but this is worse than SARS!". SARS had a fatality rate of 10% while COVID-19 has a fatality rate of 2%

πŸ‘ Moreover, looking at the ages of those who are dying of this virus, the death rate for the people UNDER 50 years of age is only 0.2%

πŸ’° This means that if you are under 50 years of age and don't live in China - you are more likely to win the lottery (which has a 1 in 45,000,000 chance)

πŸ“š Let's take one of the worst days so far, the 10th of February, when 108 people in CHINA died of Coronavirus.

πŸ—Ί On the same day:

I know you mean well but these stats don't take into account the multiplication effect as more people become infected. They're completely wrong.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Ged

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on March 06, 2020, 07:19:07 PM
WELL HERE YOU GO:

πŸ—Ί On the same day:

Or 101914 people have tested positive for corv19
56173 have recovered about 53%
3466 have died about 3.4% which is higher than the Spanish flu that killed over 100 million
The old and the weeker tend to get sick sooner with a weak immune system and are the first to die as they catch it faster and die much quicker the younger and fitter tend to get it later and last longer
Nobody knows why but during the Spanish flu at first older and weeker people died at the start of the outbreak but by the end almost 35 % who died were aged between 20 and 40 years old mostly healthy young men
So it's too soon to know what's going to happen at the moment just pray it doesn't get that bad

RaySmith

everyone dies of something.

love4ffc

I feel most here care not for the rest of humanity.Β  But rather of the mind case sera sera, let the weak die and so be it.Β 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.Β  How will you standout when it counts?

Dr Quinzel

I read about a group in the US the other day who claim to have developed a vaccine 'that contains the missing protein necessary to combat Covid-19' whatever that may mean.Β  There was little or no information that I could find to collaborate the claim although it does seem a number of companies are pursuing a vaccine with some optimism although most of the information is (ironically) on the finance pages rather than the medicine pages.

Re the finance pages, I don't find that surprising. There will be some very rich people in the medical business who are absolutely rubbing their hands at this. In the same way war makes so many countries so much profit, our ill health is similar.

I Ronic

Quote from: love4ffc on March 07, 2020, 06:56:50 AM
I feel most here care not for the rest of humanity.Β  But rather of the mind case sera sera, let the weak die and so be it.

0001.jpeg

toshes mate

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on March 07, 2020, 10:47:29 AM

Re the finance pages, I don't find that surprising. There will be some very rich people in the medical business who are absolutely rubbing their hands at this. In the same way war makes so many countries so much profit, our ill health is similar.
Misery has always been a source of charity, investment or philanthropy, call it what you will.

The currency of this virus becomes more surprising when you look at the overall effects of the policies of globalisation, putting almost all the eggs in one basket, with few countries able to claim true self sufficiency.Β  Β Viruses and rapidly spreading infectious diseases are indiscriminate and eventually, if not contained, take victims from across the spectrum.Β  Coronavirus-19 has already taken its toll on people who are not poor and its propensity to kill is alarming to us all simply because of the hidden manner of its spread.Β  Β We may become infected simply by having contact with it at just the wrong time even if we have managed to pretty much isolate ourselves from obvious higher risk activity.

The media panic is, in my opinion, an acknowledgement among many that we do not do things half as well as we are asked to believe we do, or once did, and that we have created holes in our security in order to facilitate a global system which has also put most of its eggs in one basket.Β  Perhaps we are simply being shown, by Mother Nature, how fragile our current social policy is as compared to what went before it.Β  Β I sincerely hope that the vaccines in the pipeline (see Logicalman reply #100 which echoes what my research uncovered) eventually lead to a saner approach to this whole subject, because we have to consider what happens next if all attempts to reduce the spread fail.

Β  Β  Β 

Steeeeeeeeeed

I don't want to be accused of 'Scare Mongering' but I watched this 6 part series of ten minute videos about the Spanish Flu, and found it fascinating really as it really is not covered in the history books very much, with it seemingly in the shadow of WW1

https://youtu.be/XQ9WX4qVxEo

The bit about Eastern and Western Samoa (in episode 5 I think) was particularly so, as with the actions of leaders such as President Woodrow Wilson.