watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Vaccine

Started by Dodgin, December 14, 2020, 10:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

I was interested today to hear it mooted that the UK and EU are expected to hit around 70% of the population vaccinated around the same time - both doses that is. I fear, however that this may relate to those offered the vaccine as the take up rate in some countries is so much lower. It's just as important for us in the UK that our neighbours have a high and rapid take up.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Holders on March 18, 2021, 06:14:21 PM
I wear a mask because I have CDO - to the uninitiated that's OCD but in alphabetical order.
Love it

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Holders on March 18, 2021, 06:18:21 PM
I was interested today to hear it mooted that the UK and EU are expected to hit around 70% of the population vaccinated around the same time - both doses that is. It's the rollout that differs and I can see the reasoning in getting one dose in as many as possible as quickly as possible. Pity about the delay in deliveries from India, however.
If they get really funky,surely we could withdraw them actually manufacturing our vaccine.Not saying we should and getting down to their level.We are letting them manufacture at non profit and is seriously much cheaper by miles compared to the rest.

Milo

Have had to remove some posts due to spreading of misinformation.

Let's stick to proven facts, rather than claiming anecdotal evidence as absolute truths.

SP

The AZ vaccine has been administered to the over 50s in my area this week which was welcomed.  However, everyone who I know had it is suffering from hangover like symptoms and a headache.  One lady has missed work sick, I hope our batch was ok?

Milo

Common to have flu like symptoms after the vaccine.

The product literature states 52% will have a headache and 44% myalgia (muscle aching/fatigue).

HV71

I wear a mask because I have CDO - to the uninitiated that's OCD but in alphabetical order.

I just cannot stop laughing at this - brilliant truly brilliant!

HV71

I had no after effects after the vaccine - but had some negative reaction to the flu vaccine I had earlier. There will always be a small percentage that have a reaction but make no mistake getting vaccinated saves lives

MikeTheCubed

https://www.find-tender.service.gov.uk/Notice/005534-2021

The Gov UK website today published a tender for a 2 year long Covid-19 advertising campaign commencing April 1st.

I really would like to believe it's an April Fool's prank.

Holders

Quote from: HV71 on March 18, 2021, 08:47:24 PM

What really stresses me is my membership of the DNA - the national association of dyslexics.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Holders on March 19, 2021, 12:04:49 AM
Quote from: HV71 on March 18, 2021, 08:47:24 PM

What really stresses me is my membership of the DNA - the national association of dyslexics.

AGBN.

That is bang out of order.

toshes mate

Interesting video but very long and extremely taxing on my solitary brain cell which reveals there is so much we do not really know about coronaviruses and why they change the ways they do.  Just before the half hour mark Susan Weiss and other clever people conclude that nature is way ahead of us, seemingly suggesting it is just not possible for SARS-CoV-2 to be 'designed' in a lab.   The good news about that is, if true, SARS-CoV-2 isn't a monster.   

My question would be 'why on earth are we vaccinating the whole population if we do not need to because, like most 'flu and cold viruses, almost all of us just bat SARS-CoV-2 away'?  The vulnerable groups I am fine with vaccination on demand, but others, I just don't see why it is considered a health wise thing to do and all the talk about vaccine passports is especially sinister IMO.

(TWiV 734)
https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

alfie

Getting my 2nd jab tomorrow, I don't know whether it will be making it any safer for me, I have COPD Diabetes &high blood pressure, but I can only hope.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

blingo

The passports and the control it will give governments is totalitarianism. They will control everyone, and every move we make, whether we like it or not. There will no longer be any freedom of choice unless the government decides that you can have it. I never thought that our fathers and forefathers fought for our liberty in two world wars to arrive at this sorry state of affairs. You wont be able to even fart without permission. All of this for a virus in which 99.7% of people recover.

Gibraltar has very little restrictions on masks and as from today (Gib is as I write COVID FREE), all shops and restaurants are open and there are no curfews. We live next to Spain with mega restrictions and yet we have managed to keep figures low. Ninety four deaths mainly elderly residents. Common sense prevailed here, although 30,000 of the 32,000 population are now vaccinated.  However the vaccination is NOT the reason we are covid free, the reason is that common sense prevailed. Remember, the vaccine does not stop you catching it or spreading it.

Blin.....fed up of all of this baloney.....go

Sammyffc

Quote from: blingo on March 27, 2021, 10:31:58 AM
The passports and the control it will give governments is totalitarianism. They will control everyone, and every move we make, whether we like it or not. There will no longer be any freedom of choice unless the government decides that you can have it. I never thought that our fathers and forefathers fought for our liberty in two world wars to arrive at this sorry state of affairs. You wont be able to even fart without permission. All of this for a virus in which 99.7% of people recover.

Gibraltar has very little restrictions on masks and as from today (Gib is as I write COVID FREE), all shops and restaurants are open and there are no curfews. We live next to Spain with mega restrictions and yet we have managed to keep figures low. Ninety four deaths mainly elderly residents. Common sense prevailed here, although 30,000 of the 32,000 population are now vaccinated.  However the vaccination is NOT the reason we are covid free, the reason is that common sense prevailed. Remember, the vaccine does not stop you catching it or spreading it.

Agreed, i left the UK 7 years ago and haven't looked backed

blingo

DON'T DRIVE YOUR CAR.

1 in 103
While the chance of a car accident is relatively high, the chances of dying in a car crash are thankfully, comparatively lower. According to the National Safety Council, the chances of dying from a motor vehicle crash is 1 in 103.

WATCH YOU DON'T CATCH FLU.
Influenza and pneumonia death

Number of deaths: 49,783
Deaths per 100,000 population: 15.2
Cause of death rank: 9
Source: National Vital Statistics System – Mortality Data (2019) via CDC WONDER

HOPE YOU ARE NOT DIABETIC LIKE ME

Number of deaths: 87,647
Deaths per 100,000 population: 26.7
Cause of death rank: 7

MikeTheCubed

For much of the past year we've been bombarded with what are essentially marketing campaigns containing phrases such as "When everyone's had the jab everything can return to normal", and yet here we are with over half the adult population on the receiving end of these jabs and there's been a clear and obvious shift in this narrative. We're now being told "When everyone's had the jab don't expect everything to return to normal", the government are tendering for 2-year-long Covid advertising campaign(s), and reportedly planning "booster" jabs for the over-70s by September. It began as "3 weeks to flatten the curve and protect the NHS". Whether this is a genuine health crisis or an authoritarian conspiracy it should be apparent to most by now that we're being led via a carrot dangling from a stick.

I find Gibraltar's statistics unusual. Throughout the whole pandemic up until the jab was rolled out on January 10th it had reported 16 Covid deaths. Over the course of the next 30 days this toll skyrocketed up to 83. Gibraltar now finds itself #1 by a significant margin in the nations league table of Covid deaths per capita.

As for whether the jab is saving lives, I'm aware of the news stories where experts have said "clear evidence of increased antibodies/t-cells in recipients" or "clear drop in hospitalisations / deaths / positive tests in recipients", yet I don't see a clear correlation in the overall mortality figures. UK & Israel have jabbed far more per-capita than the big European countries, and yet whether you look at raw Covid deaths per-capita or excess-mortality % the UK has massively overshadowed European countries throughout much of winter, while Israel has only performed narrowly better than Germany (despite frequently jabbing 10 times as many people per-capita). Granted there are a multitude of factors which can hinder the compatibility of comparing different countries at any given point in time.

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: shepperton white on March 16, 2021, 11:31:01 PM
Well Sorrow in answer to your post, the French and Italians have caved in and are now approving AZ vaccine

It's not really a matter of "caving in" but assessing risk vs benefit and in this case the risk is considered far lower than the benefit. This principle applies for ALL the vaccines, not just AZ.

In response to a previous post that accused me of lying, here's a scientific explanation of the VERY rare occurances of low platelet counts causing blod clots where the evidence strongly suggests a link with AZ:

https://covid19-sciencetable.ca/sciencebrief/vaccine-induced-prothrombotic-immune-thrombocytopenia-vipit-following-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccination/

This is an extremely serious (and very rare) condition. People have died from this shortly after vaccination with AZ. This has not (to my knowledge) been reported with any of the other vaccines. This is the reason why some countries still have AZ on suspension or only give it to older people.

But like I said before, ALL vaccines have potential serious (but very rare) side effects. It's all about risk vs benefit and in this case the evidence suggests that the benefits by far outweight the risks.

I will accept whatever vaccine I'm offered but I understand why some countries are looking into this, especially as some smaller countries are seeing FAR higher number of this serious condition than others. There could be a number of reasons for this. Statistic anomalies in smaller populations, a bad batch, genetic differences between countries or maybe some national health services have better/worse routines for reporting side effects than others.

It's also interesting to see that the suspected serious side effects with AZ mostly seem to affect young women but so far no one can explain why or even be 100% sure if it's connected to AZ (although the evidence strongly suggests a link).

blingo

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on March 27, 2021, 11:43:30 AM

For much of the past year we've been bombarded with what are essentially marketing campaigns containing phrases such as "When everyone's had the jab everything can return to normal", and yet here we are with over half the adult population on the receiving end of these jabs and there's been a clear and obvious shift in this narrative. We're now being told "When everyone's had the jab don't expect everything to return to normal", the government are tendering for 2-year-long Covid advertising campaign(s), and reportedly planning "booster" jabs for the over-70s by September. It began as "3 weeks to flatten the curve and protect the NHS". Whether this is a genuine health crisis or an authoritarian conspiracy it should be apparent to most by now that we're being led via a carrot dangling from a stick.

I find Gibraltar's statistics unusual. Throughout the whole pandemic up until the jab was rolled out on January 10th it had reported 16 Covid deaths. Over the course of the next 30 days this toll skyrocketed up to 83. Gibraltar now finds itself #1 by a significant margin in the nations league table of Covid deaths per capita.

As for whether the jab is saving lives, I'm aware of the news stories where experts have said "clear evidence of increased antibodies/t-cells in recipients" or "clear drop in hospitalisations / deaths / positive tests in recipients", yet I don't see a clear correlation in the overall mortality figures. UK & Israel have jabbed far more per-capita than the big European countries, and yet whether you look at raw Covid deaths per-capita or excess-mortality % the UK has massively overshadowed European countries throughout much of winter, while Israel has only performed narrowly better than Germany (despite frequently jabbing 10 times as many people per-capita). Granted there are a multitude of factors which can hinder the compatibility of comparing different countries at any given point in time.

I don't think so, but still, your figures are wrong. We have had 94 deaths, inflicted by Spaniards coming over. We THEN had a mini lockdown and are now one of the only, if not THE ONLY country in the world that is covid free.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: blingo on March 27, 2021, 12:18:03 PM
Quote from: MikeTheCubed on March 27, 2021, 11:43:30 AM

I don't think so, but still, your figures are wrong. We have had 94 deaths, inflicted by Spaniards coming over. We THEN had a mini lockdown and are now one of the only, if not THE ONLY country in the world that is covid free.

83 deaths as of February 10th, to be clear.