News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How Old Are You & What Was Your First Fulham game?

Started by White Noise, February 10, 2010, 12:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HammyH3

60, 1st game summer 1967 at the dark side in home end. Dragged along by the dark side supporting mates. Score 1-1

Vinnieffc

47.. First Fulham v Spuds in about 1978.. Came to London in 1976 and was an Arse fan but converted soon after..

Chopper

41. 1979 v Burnley. We won 3-1 and Peter Marinello was sent off. Referee was Challis who the crowd informed me was a w*nk*r. Gordon Davies scored twice.

Sold my soul to the Green Pole

Crita

24, and my first (and only) game was Melbourne Victory v Fulham, July 2009.

I've never been to England, let alone the Cottage, but I'm in the early stages of planning a trip with the missus for March next year....

AmericanJames

21, my first game was West Ham home in February of 2008 sadly we lost on a late goal, put what an experience. Subsequently I attended the Blackburn game at home and our first away win last year vs Bolton. I am now itching to make it back across the pond to catch the mighty whites, but my current university schedule makes it difficult.

Some people are literally too stupid to insult

finnster01

48, can't remember my first game but it was early 70'ies. My dad didn't take me to the Cottage often so I guess I was a bit of a late starter compared to most. He did however take me to Wembley in 1975 and that is my most vivid and early memory of Fulham and also a very fond memory of my father as he passed away that same year. My uncle took over the duties of bringing the young 'un to the Cottage after that
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Steve_orino

I'm 31 - haven't made it across the pond yet.

The first game that I remember watching was the 08 visit of Arsenal.  It was on FSC and I told the Missus that if we could get away with a draw, we'd be doing well.  Hangeland got his foot on the end of a corner and we held on for victory...

Just a taste of what was to come that season!
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

tjl

Boxing day 1958 we beat Brighton & Hove 3-1, i was 10.

LBNo11

...one of the class of '54. I was a fan of Fulham for two years prior to my first attendance; Easter Monday, March 1967 in glorious sunshine amongst a massive crowd of 47,290 to watch two teams that included some of the England world cup winning squad: George Cohen, Nobby Stiles and Bobby Charlton, and of course the man who could have been the England Captain in '66, Johnny Haynes.

Fulham went into the lead when Allan 'Sniffer' Clarke scored, Man Ure equalised through George Best and we went into half time at one a'piece. Fulham second was a real 'smashed into the roof of the net' job from the player who would become my favourite ever player, Les Barrett (No11 ;)). Man Ure put so much pressure on us and eventually the least likely man to equalize for them was the gap toothed Nobby Stiles. Final Score: 2 - 2

The sights, sounds and even the smell (must have been the man ure) had me hooked for life...

PS: I have added some programme covers to others posts, I hope you don't mind, I will add some more later...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

NorthernWhite

38 and 1st game was against Walsall in 1994. The guy that took me to that game has a lot to answer for!

1st game of the season and Kevin Moore scored on his debut - Ed

lakey

Now at the ripe old age of 76 I cant remember my first game it must have ben in the late forties  and like a few of us time has passed to quickly and have lived thro lots of ups and downs i fondly remember standing at the same spot behind the hammersmith end goal with the same mix of people. lots of memories that will remain. Will be at the Cottage on April 17th v Wolves but having a touch of the Brian McBride hospitality. Shall pay My respects to the Great Onewould be pleased to have chat to anyone around that day.

Cheers Lakey

Hi Ron, we'll take a stab at West Ham Utd in May 1949, the programmes didn't change much in those days - Ed!

RidgeRider

47, I have yet to take in a game at the Cottage but remember the first match where I claimed the Whites as my own was November 10, 2007 against Liverpool, we lost 2-0 and I have been hooked ever since.

Ask McBrideFan1 to have a look at the copy he has of that programme - Ed

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: Crita on February 12, 2010, 02:37:03 AM
24, and my first (and only) game was Melbourne Victory v Fulham, July 2009.

I've never been to England, let alone the Cottage, but I'm in the early stages of planning a trip with the missus for March next year....

Goodonya Crita and best of luck with your trip plans. I went down to Melbourne for the game against Victory (didn't Eddie Johnson score ??? ) Had a great weekend and met the one and only Mr Corked Hat. He was instrumental in getting the Rupanyup AFL lads down to the game and he and I were both on the pitch for the presentation to Danny Murphy pre-game.

Chopper

Sold my soul to the Green Pole

Cuse

I'm 27, and my first game was on 24th October 1992 against Chester City. We won 1-0 thanks to an own goal! I remember thinking that it was all going to be in black and white (cos all i had ever seen was black and white footage!)

Obviously it was sort of black and white. with regard to our kit anyway, but I think you get my meaning!

Jimpav

I'm 29 and lost my Fulham virginity in February 2004, it was an FA Cup replay against Everton.

I started following in Fulham since 1995 when I found out that I had a family connection. Despite taking a keen interest in the club I did not know anyone that actively supported club until my brother suggested that I went to along to this match with a guy from his Sunday league team.

We were playing at Loftus road that season and despite the decrepid stadium and skanky surrounds I was quite taken by the atmosphere and the feeling that you get when surrounded by thousands of Fulham fans. I no longer felt alone in the world!

I don't remember the game that clearly other than that each time we scored my brother (who was sat between myself and his mate) got caught up in inpromptu hugging.

Looking back on the match report (http://www.evertonfc.com/match/report/0304/fulham-04-02-2004-19-45.html) I am surprised to see that a young Rooney missed a sitter and how the line up's have gradually changed. Volzy was the last man to leave us from that side.

A year later I had my first true Fulham experience, a match at the cottage, again v Everton.

It was a stunning spring day in April, bright skies and t-shirt weather. A few pre-match pints and a bbq in the Golden Lion beer garden set the tone for the day.

Walking to the ground we cut through the tennis courts near Bishops Park road. I remember being half cut and thinking how different it was to Loftus Road, trees blossoming and big beautiful houses. I can't forget the feeling of walking down the Stevenage Road for the first time, merging with the crowds and marvelling at our famous listed stand.

We won that game 2-0 but did not stop Everton from finishing 4th .

Since that first match at the cottage I have not looked back and even managed to convert a few more friends and family to the bright side.

COYW

BarneyTravers

jimpav..remember your 1st ffc game...great to beat them after all that jeffers heartache!

coyw

Fernhurst

Apparently taken to games before my first memory --- but nobody still alive to confirm or deny!!!!

All these years I have said the game I first remembered was a 0-0 draw verses Ipswich in 1958, consequently celebrated long and hard in 2008 when I reached 50 years.... bloody hell... refering to Dennis Turners most excellent book "The Complete Record" this very evening I find the first game ingrained in my memory was played on the 18th September 1957  

Can't bloody believe it .... wrong year all this time.......

Fernhurst

Thank you for the cover LB..... I'm sure the bloke on right in the away strip is Stanley Matthews. I was at his last ever game (?) at the Cottage when gentleman Jim Langley refused to tackle the old guy..... he was held in such high esteem ( and i think he was fifty!!)

Can someone tell me if this is shite or has my selective memory kicked in.

BTW I was also at your first game LB v Man u in 67 --- a few of us came up from Guildford on our scooters!! --- those were the days.

SuffolkWhite

Thank you LB, I do have that program I'm glad to say ;D. I don't buy them anymore but I was given a free one at Basel which does have a little pride of place with my collection I have to say. It's great to see all the others programs.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"