watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2020/21

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 20, 2020, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shepperton white

I see Diego Costa has terminated his contract with Athletico Madrid.  He's 32 now but still a good player - so what are our chances? Maybe or not a chance in  hell

Radiowhite

Quote from: shepperton white on December 29, 2020, 02:22:26 PM
I see Diego Costa has terminated his contract with Athletico Madrid.  He's 32 now but still a good player - so what are our chances? Maybe or not a chance in  hell
Would take him right now but I think he will go to a bigger club

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Radiowhite on December 29, 2020, 02:38:09 PM
Quote from: shepperton white on December 29, 2020, 02:22:26 PM
Would take him right now but I think he will go to a bigger club

But he's a big physical Mitrovic type, I thought the concensus was we need someone quick & mobile to run the channels & defend from the front?

Somerset Fulham

Mitrovic can still do the job that Cav is doing, he's done it before. He just needs to either be fit, have his head straight or both.

If Parker can fix him, he can play the role.

sarnian

Josh King has just come on for Bournemouth after being out for weeks with a back injury. Looks quite sharp but is he too injury prone to try and buy in the transfer window.

FFC1987

Quote from: sarnian on December 30, 2020, 07:10:57 PM
Josh King has just come on for Bournemouth after being out for weeks with a back injury. Looks quite sharp but is he too injury prone to try and buy in the transfer window.

See, I know people banged the drum about Toney before but we really could use a striker like him. Quick, strong, hard working....haven't seen much of him but really impressed tonight. I'd be Toney>King if a transfer was possible.

Edit, after the game, I thought he was brilliant. Good touch, smart decision making, absolutely working hard as a team player....

JimOG

Quote from: FFC1987 on December 30, 2020, 07:13:11 PM

See, I know people banged the drum about Toney before but we really could use a striker like him. Quick, strong, hard working....haven't seen much of him but really impressed tonight. I'd be Toney>King if a transfer was possible.

Edit, after the game, I thought he was brilliant. Good touch, smart decision making, absolutely working hard as a team player....

Toney or King?   What about bidding for Solanke instead?

FFC1987

Quote from: JimOG on December 30, 2020, 07:58:19 PM

Toney or King?   What about bidding for Solanke instead?

Toney. Was very impressed.

Asotosyios

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1378125/Rangers-set-challenge-Celtic-transfer-target-compared-Gareth-Bale

Rangers are expected to challenge their fierce rivals Celtic in the battle for Charlton's highly-rated wide man Alfie Doughty. Doughty has gone from relatively unknown to one of the most talked-about wide players in the Football League in the space of 14 months.

The 21-year-old was on loan at Bromley FC in the National League at the start of the 2019/20 campaign but a string of injuries saw Charlton cancel his temporary switch out of necessity.

Fast forward to the summer of 2020 and Doughty had been named the club's Young Player of the Year following an impressive 30 appearances, which included two goals.

Doughty, who is equally comfortable at left-back and left midfield, has been the subject of two bids from Celtic since the summer and is also now a reported target for city rivals Rangers, according to The Athletic.

Fulham are another club said to be keen on Doughty and he is unlikely to be short of offers in the summer, when he is set to be out of contract.

Doughty is currently out injured after requiring surgery on a hamstring tear he sustained in late October and despite expecting to be out until late January, potential suitors may still be tempted to try to beat the competition to his signature by making an approach to Charlton in the coming weeks.

Doughty is blisteringly quick and after starting out his career at left-back, has been moved higher up the pitch to wing back and then as an outright winger, even switching over to the right flank on occasions.

Any player with such a development pathway is bound to be compared to Gareth Bale moving forward but it isn't just fans and the media who have made the reference.

Charlton assistant manager Johnnie Jackson revealed he has even discussed the Bale comparison with Doughty.

"Alfie knows how quick he is," Jackson told The Athletic.

"He knows defenders know how quick he is and he doesn't overcomplicate it.

"So he'll look to go outside, like he did at Northampton, like he did when he scored the goal at Crewe earlier in the season, and just back his pace. He always looks to face up defenders and get at them.

"The one I always speak to him about — although they're completely different levels, obviously — was when Bale was at Spurs (the first time) and when he first went to Real Madrid.

"He didn't overcomplicate it. He knew he was quicker than everyone else.

"If he had space between him and the full-backs, he'd kick it past and open his legs.

"They couldn't catch him, so why do you need to do anything different when you're that quick?"

AnOldBrownie

Agree...but in what world would Brentford do a deal with us?

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Asotosyios on December 31, 2020, 01:36:47 AM
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1378125/Rangers-set-challenge-Celtic-transfer-target-compared-Gareth-Bale

Rangers are expected to challenge their fierce rivals Celtic in the battle for Charlton's highly-rated wide man Alfie Doughty. Doughty has gone from relatively unknown to one of the most talked-about wide players in the Football League in the space of 14 months.

The 21-year-old was on loan at Bromley FC in the National League at the start of the 2019/20 campaign but a string of injuries saw Charlton cancel his temporary switch out of necessity.

Fast forward to the summer of 2020 and Doughty had been named the club's Young Player of the Year following an impressive 30 appearances, which included two goals.

Doughty, who is equally comfortable at left-back and left midfield, has been the subject of two bids from Celtic since the summer and is also now a reported target for city rivals Rangers, according to The Athletic.

Fulham are another club said to be keen on Doughty and he is unlikely to be short of offers in the summer, when he is set to be out of contract.

Doughty is currently out injured after requiring surgery on a hamstring tear he sustained in late October and despite expecting to be out until late January, potential suitors may still be tempted to try to beat the competition to his signature by making an approach to Charlton in the coming weeks.

Doughty is blisteringly quick and after starting out his career at left-back, has been moved higher up the pitch to wing back and then as an outright winger, even switching over to the right flank on occasions.

Any player with such a development pathway is bound to be compared to Gareth Bale moving forward but it isn't just fans and the media who have made the reference.

Charlton assistant manager Johnnie Jackson revealed he has even discussed the Bale comparison with Doughty.

"Alfie knows how quick he is," Jackson told The Athletic.

"He knows defenders know how quick he is and he doesn't overcomplicate it.

"So he'll look to go outside, like he did at Northampton, like he did when he scored the goal at Crewe earlier in the season, and just back his pace. He always looks to face up defenders and get at them.

"The one I always speak to him about — although they're completely different levels, obviously — was when Bale was at Spurs (the first time) and when he first went to Real Madrid.

"He didn't overcomplicate it. He knew he was quicker than everyone else.

"If he had space between him and the full-backs, he'd kick it past and open his legs.

"They couldn't catch him, so why do you need to do anything different when you're that quick?"

Pace is good...but ... well, Dan James on United's squad is probably faster than him...yet United won't play him because he's a one trick pony.   Fast.

Hasn't scored any goals, a converted defender...not sold on him at all.   Heck, we may as well move Aina to RW imo.

MrFFC

What about Sarr from Watford?
Very quick I think he would be a good addition to our attacking play
Come on you Whites!! :)

FFC1987

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on December 31, 2020, 02:05:05 AM

Agree...but in what world would Brentford do a deal with us?

I don't think doing business with us would be the sticking point. It would be the fact they only just purchased him, would want quite a bit for him and would only sell if they could find a replacement.

Whitestone

Quote from: MrFFC on December 31, 2020, 09:25:53 AM

Ismaila Sarr is exactly the sort of player we should go after. He's young, improving, played in the Prem and would be a good fit on the right.

hopper

Brentford well in with chance of going up this year, not a chance Toney possibly goes in January, to us of all clubs too.

FFC1987

Quote from: Whitestone on December 31, 2020, 10:15:08 AM

Ismaila Sarr is exactly the sort of player we should go after. He's young, improving, played in the Prem and would be a good fit on the right.

Wasn't he priced out of a move in the summer with a silly 50m price tag placed on him?

Whitestone

Quote from: FFC1987 on December 31, 2020, 10:21:38 AM

Wasn't he priced out of a move in the summer with a silly 50m price tag placed on him?

I think you're right and not surprisingly there weren't any takers. Must be worth approaching Watford They may be interested if the offer is sensible. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Whitestone on December 31, 2020, 10:33:39 AM
Quote from: FFC1987 on December 31, 2020, 10:21:38 AM

I think you're right and not surprisingly there weren't any takers. Must be worth approaching Watford They may be interested if the offer is sensible. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

A promotion chasing team is not going to sell a player like that half way through the season.

Craven Mad

Josh King (Bournemouth) is a good shout because of how little time he has on his current contract, and the fact he's not playing. Bournemouth will be happy to lose the wages, and we can pick up a player with Prem experience at a decent price.

Morelos (Rangers) is another name to throw into the ring: hasn't been in great form this season, but isn't playing in Scotland and is the right type of player to lead our line (pacey, two-footed and doggedly closes down opposition). Given his form, Rangers might be willing to let him leave on loan with an option to buy - that'd be a win/win for all parties because, if he finds his form, Rangers can recoup a fee that he currently wouldn't be worth.

Finally, FWIW, I think Demari Gray (Leicester) and/or Bright Samuel (QPR) are decent shouts too: they can both play on either wing, are pacey and would add some much needed competition to the front line. They're also both certainly available and, like Josh King, only have six months left on their current deals (so wouldn't command a hefty fee).

That's four players that'd massively improve our squad on the cheap and, I think, would be enough to ensure survival this year.