watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Antonee Robinson

Started by perry geyton, February 20, 2021, 10:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perry geyton

All huff and puff with no final product....

I really rated him at first but I'm leaning at Aina at left back now, Antonee works so hard and gets up and down the wing BUT

lukeahar

Both add great value to the team. A selection dilemma I'm more than happy to have
@lukeahar

fancyfeet4

On one hand, I kind of think Robinson is terrible.  He is very unpolished on the ball and teams leave him open for a reason.  His defense is scattered and his athleticism bails him out. 

On the other, he kind of brings out the best in Lookman.  The threat of an overlap does help free Lookman up to cut inside or run at guys.

Overall, I am not impressed with Robinson.  I am surprised Bryan cant get time over him.  Bryan is more polished, albeit less athletic. 

I think Parker will keep him starting, but I honestly wouldnt mind him on the bench.  He is one of the worst LB/LWBs in the league.

Andy S

No Bryan fits that category as he cannot defend

70sPimlico

I have no idea of Scotts thinking but we get less crosses in the box with Robinson (at least I think we do). everything else aside, I put him (sadly) in front of Joe

FFCFOREVER

Totally agree with the OP but I cling to the hope that he can be coached into crossing the ball properly. He is a very raw talent.

bigalffc

He wasn't getting the ball passed to him during his many runs in the first half, he does defend well
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Deeping_white

Quote from: fancyfeet4 on February 20, 2021, 11:03:45 PM
On one hand, I kind of think Robinson is terrible.  He is very unpolished on the ball and teams leave him open for a reason.  His defense is scattered and his athleticism bails him out. 

On the other, he kind of brings out the best in Lookman.  The threat of an overlap does help free Lookman up to cut inside or run at guys.

Overall, I am not impressed with Robinson.  I am surprised Bryan cant get time over him.  Bryan is more polished, albeit less athletic. 

I think Parker will keep him starting, but I honestly wouldnt mind him on the bench.  He is one of the worst LB/LWBs in the league.

One of the worst in the league? His first season at this level and defensively he's been mostly superb? If the big issue is his crossing and ball control then that's great news because those things can be coached much easier than defensive awareness. I'm sure that the coaching team are aware it's an area to improve, he literally is one of the best value signings we'll make over the last 10 years because we could sell him now for a profit and he's going to get much better and worth even more.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: perry geyton on February 20, 2021, 10:52:43 PM
All huff and puff with no final product....

I really rated him at first but I'm leaning at Aina at left back now, Antonee works so hard and gets up and down the wing BUT

Thought he had a good game today. Much more controlled than in past appearances. Was getting reckless with his passing and tackling, time on the bench has hopefully brought him back with a more measured approach. That being said, I think the club is best with Aina and Tete as the FB's.

perry geyton

He definately has potential but I'm not sure he has the brains for the Killer ball, hopefully he works on that and improves,

Joe for me sadly is definately not good enough at this level in my opinion

VamosFFC

I was going to make a thread on this, but since one has already been created, I'll post here.

Does anyone else prefer Bryan to Robinson at left back? I really don't think Robinson brings anything to the table. I think he's still too raw. His touch and control is not great. Anytime he gets the ball, I feel like his mind is moving faster than his feet and he just stumbles with the ball at this feet. Give me Joe Bryan at left back any day over Robinson, or even Aina over him too.

perry geyton

Quote from: Deeping_white on February 20, 2021, 11:20:21 PM
Quote from: fancyfeet4 on February 20, 2021, 11:03:45 PM

One of the worst in the league? His first season at this level and defensively he's been mostly superb? If the big issue is his crossing and ball control then that's great news because those things can be coached much easier than defensive awareness. I'm sure that the coaching team are aware it's an area to improve, he literally is one of the best value signings we'll make over the last 10 years because we could sell him now for a profit and he's going to get much better and worth even more.
True that for what we paid for him, he's currently now in today's over inflated market an 8 million pound center back

bahay18

i think he looks the weak link . lots of energy but his heading is bad and his crossing horrendous

Willham

I cannot believe theres a forum complaining about Robinson, I love this guy, I really think he has the potential to make it at a top club! I see a young Andrew Robertson, which is funny as their both A.R. again funny enough watching matches of hull city with my dad we would say exactly the same, he needs to work on that final touch but look at Robertson's final touch now! If I remember properly Robertson was snapped up by liverpool for 9 mill, I'd only take 20 for Robinson right now, yes he is a bit unpolished but the man works hard and I was kinda happy he got his red card, shows the guys got grit too... something I still feel the 'polished' Robertson, and all of the liverpool team right now tbh, lack.

Very surprised hes getting stick! For 2 mill this guys our big profit!

Willham

I wish to add, someone else has mentioned it but I wish to stress, mentoring and improving a person's ability to cross the ball is much easier to teach then to mentality to sniff out danger and killer movement. I'd love to see Robinson swiftly moving forward in a white shirt for years to come! Hopefully in the prem! COYW

perry geyton

Quote from: Willham on February 21, 2021, 12:42:46 AM
I cannot believe theres a forum complaining about Robinson, I love this guy, I really think he has the potential to make it at a top club! I see a young Andrew Robertson, which is funny as their both A.R. again funny enough watching matches of hull city with my dad we would say exactly the same, he needs to work on that final touch but look at Robertson's final touch now! If I remember properly Robertson was snapped up by liverpool for 9 mill, I'd only take 20 for Robinson right now, yes he is a bit unpolished but the man works hard and I was kinda happy he got his red card, shows the guys got grit too... something I still feel the 'polished' Robertson, and all of the liverpool team right now tbh, lack.

Very surprised hes getting stick! For 2 mill this guys our big profit!

He's getting criticized cos his final balls woefull, no harm in it he's just been frustrating to watch, not saying he doesn't have potential Either though,
Hopefully he improves in that department

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: VamosFFC on February 20, 2021, 11:28:54 PM
I was going to make a thread on this, but since one has already been created, I'll post here.

Does anyone else prefer Bryan to Robinson at left back? I really don't think Robinson brings anything to the table. I think he's still too raw. His touch and control is not great. Anytime he gets the ball, I feel like his mind is moving faster than his feet and he just stumbles with the ball at this feet. Give me Joe Bryan at left back any day over Robinson, or even Aina over him too.

Yes I prefer Bryan over Robinson too (but Aina over both of them).

Robinson is nowhere near good enough for the Premier League IMO. He's ok (but not great) defensively but offers absolutely nothing going forward. It's all about mindless runs with no plan. We often lose possession when he gets the ball. His passing is horrible. His reading of the game is shockingly poor at this level. His crosses are non-league standard. There's a reason his teammates have started to ignore his runs. They have learned that passing the balls to him is usually a wasted opportunity.

His work rate and pace is very good but that's about it. I personally don't think he is better than Championship level at best. At least not yet.

Deeping_white

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on February 21, 2021, 12:55:57 AM

Robinson is nowhere near good enough for the Premier League IMO. He's ok (but not great) defensively but offers absolutely nothing going forward. It's all about mindless runs with no plan. We often lose possession when he gets the ball. His passing is horrible. His reading of the game is shockingly poor at this level. His crosses are non-league standard. There's a reason his teammates have started to ignore his runs. They have learned that passing the balls to him is usually a wasted opportunity.

His work rate and pace is very good but that's about it. I personally don't think he is better than Championship level at best. At least not yet.

There's a reason we concede a lot less goals nowadays and having Robinson over Bryan is one of the biggest ones. Joe is great in the championship and as a squad player at this level, but he's got some of the worst positional awareness I've ever seen. Teams targeted him early on in the season, and the penalty he gave away against Leeds was a prime reason why he's not good enough at this level because he gets caught ball watching and loses his man. Defensively and physically, Robinson is miles ahead and like I said above, it's much easier to coach the technical aspects of improving his crossing etc rather than teaching him how to defend first and foremost. It's also his first season at this level and personally I think he's done a pretty good job, aside from his crossing

VamosFFC

Quote from: Deeping_white on February 21, 2021, 01:40:16 AM
Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on February 21, 2021, 12:55:57 AM

There's a reason we concede a lot less goals nowadays and having Robinson over Bryan is one of the biggest ones. Joe is great in the championship and as a squad player at this level, but he's got some of the worst positional awareness I've ever seen. Teams targeted him early on in the season, and the penalty he gave away against Leeds was a prime reason why he's not good enough at this level because he gets caught ball watching and loses his man. Defensively and physically, Robinson is miles ahead and like I said above, it's much easier to coach the technical aspects of improving his crossing etc rather than teaching him how to defend first and foremost. It's also his first season at this level and personally I think he's done a pretty good job, aside from his crossing

You say Robinson is miles ahead of Bryan, but I have to respectfully disagree. Going off overall quality as a footballer, Bryan's surpasses Robinson easily. Also, I really don't think Bryan is a liability at leftback. Sure, he goes about defending differently than Robinson, but he's still a quality defender, and I think he can compete in this league. I think the only reason Parker goes with Robinson is because of his athleticism and that's it.

Regarding Robinson's technical aspects, he obviously isn't learning from the coaching and taking it in. That's to say if he even is getting extra coaching. Or, he's just banking on his athleticism to bail him out of situations and doesn't think he needs to improve. 

Andyb

No way Bryan is better than Robinson. Joe has never been able to defend, he always turns his back when opposition try to cross it in. Robinson doesn't let them cross it in.