watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are we interested in the World Cup Now

Started by filham, November 21, 2022, 03:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeeeeeeeeed

If England can deal with MBappe, by any means necessary... They will win the match. France are very very average other than him,.and England have a better overrall XI.

Twig

Well we totally bossed that. Played some lovely stuff, what I particularly like is the way we are capable of such changes of pace. Southgate and this young side have moved beyond the dinosaurs who expect one non stop style. They change through the gears and that's how they open defences up. Very good to watch.

RaySmith

Quote from: Twig on December 04, 2022, 09:09:13 PM
Well we totally bossed that. Played some lovely stuff, what I particularly like is the way we are capable of such changes of pace. Southgate and this young side have moved beyond the dinosaurs who expect one not n stop style. They change through the gears and that's how they open defences up. Very good to watch.

0001.jpeg

Well done England.

cmg

Quote from: RaySmith on December 04, 2022, 09:10:49 PM
Well we totally bossed that. Played some lovely stuff, what I particularly like is the way we are capable of such changes of pace. Southgate and this young side have moved beyond the dinosaurs who expect one not n stop style. They change through the gears and that's how they open defences up. Very good to watch.

0001.jpeg

Well done England.

0001.jpeg
Some talented players on view and some slick play. Encouraging.

filham

Well I guess that was a good win for England but I was not that impressed and certainly wasn't excited.
Unfortunately it revised memories of Parker Ball.
Never the less England have made the quarter finals of the World Cup and we should be grateful that we have a top fixture against France to look forward to.

Tempest

Well we totally bossed that. Played some lovely stuff, what I particularly like is the way we are capable of such changes of pace. Southgate and this young side have moved beyond the dinosaurs who expect one non stop style. They change through the gears and that's how they open defences up. Very good to watch.
Certainly not wrong as it's your view, but thought it was dull, tedious, way too slow, absolutely nothing wrong playing at a higher tempo, dominate teams, this is an incredibly poor world cup, standard is very low from all the teams including England.

Japan have as much chance of winning this as anyone.

Take Argentina v Netherlands, 2 giants of world football, sounds like an amazing game yet both teams are very average. Hopefully this is a transitional world cup and the younger players will shine and up the quality in 2026.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

Steeeeeeeeeed

I agree, generally very dull football, albeit with some great upsets in the Group Stage... But the Big Teams  just seem happy to do "just enough" to win, they hold back so much, France and England are capable of so much more, and much better to watch football.

England Vs France could well be a snore fest.

Whitestone

Dull, tedious, not impressed. These are quotes from above.

Seriously, some people clearly have unrealistic expectations. England comprehensively beat the team put in front of them 3-0.

RaySmith

I always thought football, and sport generally, was all about results, and in a Cup competition about getting through to the next round relatively unscathed - with the ultimate object of winning the thing.

Now there seems an obsession with 'entertainment.'

If my team wins and goes through to the next round in a cup, I'm not that bothered about how they play to achieve this.

When watching Fulham, I'm gutted if they lose, even if they play the most sparkling football ever seen, going down 5-6, and happy if they win, even if they grind it out with a 1-0.

Rightwhite

A thoroughly professional job that was well executed against tricky opposition. Well done Gareth and the boys. Up next a very winnable game against France. Can't wait. Come on England.

F(f)CUK

England Vs France two of the best teams in this year's competition. Worthy of the final.

SG

Quote from: RaySmith on December 05, 2022, 04:50:51 AM
I always thought football, and sport generally, was all about results, and in a Cup competition about getting through to the next round relatively unscathed - with the ultimate object of winning the thing.

Now there seems an obsession with 'entertainment.'

If my team wins and goes through to the next round in a cup, I'm not that bothered about how they play to achieve this.

When watching Fulham, I'm gutted if they lose, even if they play the most sparkling football ever seen, going down 5-6, and happy if they win, even if they grind it out with a 1-0.

I'm exactly like you re Fulham but with England personally I have less 'skin in the game' and therefore wish to be entertained. I hate all these mock celebrations and TV soundbites with beer thrown in the air when they score. Disappointed if they, England, lose but not the end of the world for me, whereas with FFC I'm can be miserable for days especially after losses like the last home one.

alfie

Sometimes I just wonder what people want

England finished the group stages with the best record out of any team in Qatar 
The Three Lions won two games and drew against the USA in Group B fixtures
They boast the joint-most points accumulated and best goal difference

Now through to quaters.

It just seems to me that people want failure just so they can have a good moan, with the desperate need to find fault.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ffcthereligion

I think both the praise and the criticism is too much. Realistically everyone knew we were going to win the group then beat Senegal then probably lose to France pre tournament. If we beat them then we can praise Southgate but as it stands we have beaten teams you would expect to be beating.

For all the talk of 'this is a great tournament' there won't be any shocks past the quarter finals. Roll on the return of the prem

We Are Premier League

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on December 04, 2022, 09:05:37 PM
If England can deal with MBappe, by any means necessary... They will win the match. France are very very average other than him,.and England have a better overrall XI.

Not sure the English 11 is better overall...if you take it section by section, IMO:

GK advantage France
CB advantage France
FB advantage France
CM advantage England
Wingers advantage France
Striker advantage England

wback

Quote from: We Are Premier League on December 05, 2022, 11:00:53 AM
GK advantage France
CB advantage France
FB advantage France
CM advantage England
Wingers advantage France
Striker advantage England

Not sure about this:

GK - Lloris and Pickford are dead level. Both make great saves, both capable of a mistake. Distribution very similar.
CB - Yes, probably advantage France here, but Stones has been v. good so far. Worries about Maguire's speed in a race (though he hasn't faced one yet and is on the other side to Mbappe).
FB - Ours are better.
CM - Our is better.
Wingers - Dead level. Dembele is quick but wasteful.
CF - Mbappe stands apart, but Kane is better than Giroud.

Overall, even if Mbappe scores an unstoppable goal, we're still going to be well in this game.

SG

Quote from: ffcthereligion on December 05, 2022, 10:32:49 AM
I think both the praise and the criticism is too much. Realistically everyone knew we were going to win the group then beat Senegal then probably lose to France pre tournament. If we beat them then we can praise Southgate but as it stands we have beaten teams you would expect to be beating.

For all the talk of 'this is a great tournament' there won't be any shocks past the quarter finals. Roll on the return of the prem

I think this sums it up for me - given our player and financial resources, England to date have only done what is reasonably expected of them. Now if they beat the reigning World Champions that really would be something worth shouting about.

perry geyton

Quote from: davew on December 04, 2022, 07:29:49 PM
In response to the topic title, not really! Tonight is like watching Fulham under Parker, wonder who is winning the golf?
I think Southgate is a nicer person but footballing wise they are cut from the same mold

filham

I remember going to watch England v France at Wembley in a group match in 1966 and came away disappointed with a boring England team, playing without wingers, and not seaming to threaten France.
I predicted England were not going far in that tournament, how wrong I was.

No one is likelyt o remember that French match but no one forgets the great 1966 England team.

Could 2022 be similar to 1966.

cmg

Quote from: filham on December 05, 2022, 04:21:49 PM
I remember going to watch England v France at Wembley in a group match in 1966 and came away disappointed with a boring England team, playing without wingers, and not seaming to threaten France.
I predicted England were not going far in that tournament, how wrong I was.

No one is likelyt o remember that French match but no one forgets the great 1966 England team.

That act of GBH by young Nobby Stiles on the French forward livened it up a bit.

(Also Jimmy Greaves received the cut leg that ultimately cost him a WC Winners medal.)