Started by filham, November 21, 2022, 03:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffcne

Quote from: alfie on December 11, 2022, 04:01:30 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on December 11, 2022, 03:43:46 PM
Quote from: Lester Burnham on December 11, 2022, 03:08:06 PM
Quote from: Plodder on December 10, 2022, 09:36:20 PM
Quote from: filham on December 10, 2022, 09:11:37 PM
So England coming home , yes we fought well and  we may have a couple of grumbles with the refs decisions but really the French were the better side. The bottom line was we didn't score a goal in 100minutes in open play while the French scored two. There attack had more speed and punch than ours.

What now , Southgate to lead us into the Euros or a new manager.

Also our slow build ups had a hint of Parker Ball about the.

I don't agree with that assessment.  England were the better team in a close contest.  I agree that the French scored two quality goals, but I don't think that was about speed in attack or a quicker build up. One was a fine long range shot, the other a superb cross for Giroud.
Totally agree. I thought we had a good WC. Looking forward to Euro 2024 in Germany. Hope Southgate stays but hearing he might have had enough. Who would you replace him with? Arsene Wenger too old?

You call beating Iran,Senegal and Wales a good WC.
MK Dons would give them three a game.🙂
Well you can only play the team in front of you.

Yes and we were put in front of France and lost,
Check out the teams we have beaten in the WC since 2006 .
Southgate failed against Croatia ,Italy and now France .
When we should have beaten all 3.
Why bring Sterling on ,He left the camp for 5 days ,
Rashford should have been on at least 20 mins earlier.

St Eve

Disappointing. Plenty of effort and a few young finds for the future. Southgate has steadied the ship and comes across well, saying all the right things. For me, it's just too slow. Stones and McGuire must have touched the ball more than any other players, passing to each other. We could have beaten France had we been quicker. We are a solid top 5 or 6 team, but a long way from being number 1 consistently.

john dempsey

Twig

We were the better team. Southgate can't be blamed for Harry's penalty miss and he certainly can't for a shockingly inept referee and a blind VAR team.

Oakeshott

"Well you can only play the team in front of you."

Very true. But we played two poor teams Fulham at or near their best would have beaten, and two middling teams of whom we looked positively ordinary against the USA.

Then we play a top team and lose. We most certainly had the better of the second half, but in ninety plus minutes failed to score except from a penalty. And unless I am mistaken, the defender who Giroud beat to plant his header in our goal was Southgate's favourite who many pundits thought should not be first choice because of a weakness (at top level) in defence.

We've certainly got some top players but they need more effective deployment. Imagine what Marco would achieve with that lot to manage.

Slaphead in Qatar

I wouldn't say Eng were the better team last night. It was a 50:50 game and the team that took its chances won.

alfie

Quote from: Oakeshott on December 11, 2022, 06:02:25 PM
"Well you can only play the team in front of you."

Very true. But we played two poor teams Fulham at or near their best would have beaten, and two middling teams of whom we looked positively ordinary against the USA.

Then we play a top team and lose. We most certainly had the better of the second half, but in ninety plus minutes failed to score except from a penalty. And unless I am mistaken, the defender who Giroud beat to plant his header in our goal was Southgate's favourite who many pundits thought should not be first choice because of a weakness (at top level) in defence.

We've certainly got some top players but they need more effective deployment. Imagine what Marco would achieve with that lot to manage.
Well I'm not blaming McGuire, Giroud is a top striker, and a fantastic header, who you gonna blame for the first goal?

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Lester Burnham

So England coming home , yes we fought well and  we may have a couple of grumbles with the refs decisions but really the French were the better side. The bottom line was we didn't score a goal in 100minutes in open play while the French scored two. There attack had more speed and punch than ours.

I don't agree with that assessment.  England were the better team in a close contest.  I agree that the French scored two quality goals, but I don't think that was about speed in attack or a quicker build up. One was a fine long range shot, the other a superb cross for Giroud.
Totally agree. I thought we had a good WC. Looking forward to Euro 2024 in Germany. Hope Southgate stays but hearing he might have had enough. Who would you replace him with? Arsene Wenger too old?

Minces, me ole 'happier when England lose' mate. IMO, we played a very good WC. We won easily against those we were 'expected' of beating (the hardest group according to World rankings); a rarity for England at major tournaments. Going a goal down vs the French, we responded well and at no time did the French outplay us. Mbappe, created little in large part because of Walker. For the first time in 20-30yrs Southgate has an England team that can compete at any level. Speak to me again after Euro 2024. If we don't win it, I'll prostrate myself at your feet....and wash your car. (BTW, you still owe me a tenner for rooting your bet in last season)

Mr White

Too much fluff in this tread England bottled it again.End off.

RaySmith

Unlucky England - I think manager and team  did well, and were unlucky not to go through, a very good performance against France - and the ref!

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Lester Burnham on December 12, 2022, 04:25:50 AM

Minces, me ole 'happier when England lose' mate. IMO, we played a very good WC. We won easily against those we were 'expected' of beating (the hardest group according to World rankings); a rarity for England at major tournaments. Going a goal down vs the French, we responded well and at no time did the French outplay us. Mbappe, created little in large part because of Walker. For the first time in 20-30yrs Southgate has an England team that can compete at any level. Speak to me again after Euro 2024. If we don't win it, I'll prostrate myself at your feet....and wash your car. (BTW, you still owe me a tenner for rooting your bet in last season)

Not happy about it at all.
Just pointing out that we didn't beat much before we met France...

Willham

Quote from: ffcne on December 11, 2022, 04:07:38 PM
Quote from: alfie on December 11, 2022, 04:01:30 PM

Well you can only play the team in front of you.

Yes and we were put in front of France and lost,
Check out the teams we have beaten in the WC since 2006 .
Southgate failed against Croatia ,Italy and now France .
When we should have beaten all 3.
Why bring Sterling on ,He left the camp for 5 days ,
Rashford should have been on at least 20 mins earlier.

I'm real glad to read your comment, you hear everything in the media, a process in the making, he's done great building this squad etc.

As a international manager, you don't build a squad, you pick a squad from what there is...... and Southgate got some superstars to choose from, so I wouldn't say he's built a good squad

You can't afford transitional periods as a international manager, players age and 4 years apart means you have to get it right now, in 4 years you might not have the same players,

And everyone saying we have got to a final and hot to a semi, we'll yeah we have but who have we beat on the way?
Sweden and Germany, but both have a higher reputation then they squads can answer for.

As fulham fans I think we have the insider knowledge from the parker experience, because Southgate very similar, decent football played without conviction, its so almost that everyone believes but again england struggle to score from open play.

SG

In my view you only have to look at the resources, physical and financial, in the England set up. They are enormous - greater than probably any other country. The Academy and the St George's Park set up should be delivering results. This is not a self entitlement belief but one simply looking at these resources and believing that with these behind him an England manager should as an absolute minimum be achieving what Southgate has delivered. Therefore in my book his 'achievements' are the very least this team should have secured.
He's now pontificating about the past 18 months being tough and he wants to think about things going forward before making a decision. This is typical of his mindset in a football match - unsure and soft. Let's make the decision for him. Push him upstairs so he can concentrate on getting a happy set up whilst we get in a football coach who makes tough decisions, knows how to alter tactics before and adapt/change during a game and goes out to win a game from the first whistle not after 30 + minutes of sterile football. 

Mickeyboro

john dempsey

Free Elvis Hammond

I think one of the most damning things for Southgate is that he can't work out how to use Alexander-Arnold. He's got one of the game's most creative players at his disposal, but he doesn't fit the rigid 4-3-3, so doesn't get a look in. Then you wonder why England struggle to create chances in open play

SG

Quote from: Free Elvis Hammond on December 12, 2022, 12:37:14 PM
I think one of the most damning things for Southgate is that he can't work out how to use Alexander-Arnold. He's got one of the game's most creative players at his disposal, but he doesn't fit the rigid 4-3-3, so doesn't get a look in. Then you wonder why England struggle to create chances in open play

Agreed and I think you could say the same about Foden. Sticking him out on the left wing when he crying out to be played in a central role

blingo

We will never win anything with Southgate in charge.

We lost. Get over it.

LittleErn

I do blame Southgate for Kane's penalty miss. He should not have been allowed to take a second penalty against his club goalie. It became a mind game between them. There was doubt in Kane's mind about how best to beat Lloris so he tried a variation that wasn't one of his usual penalty styles.  As for the overall style of play, I'm undecided. I don't like the periods of "possession" football but have seen some exciting forward play when they are let of the leash. Against top international teams it might be necessary to vary the tactics like that. I'm not qualified to know.

General

Quote from: blingo on December 12, 2022, 12:45:23 PM
We will never win anything with Southgate in charge.

We lost. Get over it.

What a ridiculous statement. He's been by far the best manager we've had in over 40 years. We dominated France and had Kane scored the second penalty everyone would be celebrating.

His record in tournaments is semi final, final and quarter final. The players love him and he's grounded and sensible.

We deserved to be in the semis based on tactics. The fault of us not at least going to extra time is purely on harry Kanes shoulders. In my opinion he should've not taken the second penalty and let someone fresher take it. He misjudged his responsibility as captain and striker and having buried one should have let someone else go for it - Rashford would've buried it.

I think Southgate is the best man for the job by a country mile and should at least have a second stab at the next euros.

People have very short memories it seems. We went through tonnes of international managers and England managers trying to get results for the national team and they all fell significantly short time and time again with our golden generation.

Southgate has nurtured a lot of the players in this group from a young age and has developed incredible trust and working relationships and gets the best out of players even when they're underperforming at club level (a la maguire and even Pickford at times).

I remember constantly referencing players in the past - the likes of lampard, ferdinand etc who used to say club football for them was more important than national team football and now we actually have it the other way round which is how it should be.

Not only that but they understand and represent English and British  values admirably on top of being a down to earth and grounded group of players.

For this group being England teammates comes before club rivalries. Seems trivial but so many managers failed to manage that dynamic which is one of the simplest.

And you want tk give it to Pochettino?  An Argentinean who's never managed at international level and is completely untried. Ridiculous.