watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP George Cohen

Started by ffcthereligion, December 23, 2022, 10:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bod

The saddest news. I loved to watch him in the sixties as a teenager.
A one man club his whole career just like other Fulham legends I can think of.
A one off!
RIP George.

jarv

I had the news on, his picture popped up on the screen. I reacted...oh no.  Very, very sad. I am so upset.

davew

Gutted, I met George quite a few times in the 60´s and still have a lovely photo of him, Tommy Trinder and my Grandad (former FFC Director) together after the World Cup. R.I.P.

A lovely person, great servant to FFC and maybe the finest full back that has ever played for us!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Bill2

We have not got many great players we can boast of but George was one of the two. A wonderful player and our World Cup Winner.

Fulham_chris

Rip George a true Fulham legend
Like I've seen a few fans say I would like us to name the new stand after him.

sunburywhite

Quote from: davew on December 23, 2022, 06:45:53 PM
Gutted, I met George quite a few times in the 60´s and still have a lovely photo of him, Tommy Trinder and my Grandad (former FFC Director) together after the World Cup. R.I.P.

A lovely person, great servant to FFC and maybe the finest full back that has ever played for us!!

Is your grandad Tony Dean?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Zendra

Great player , great  bloke.

Not sure how many of the early  to mid 60's Fulham team we have still with us.

Oakeshott

It is probably just getting old, but despite the undoubted excellence of the many overseas-born players who have delighted us at the Cottage, part of me hankers for the day when teams were largely local, with chaps like George born and living near the Club.

He was a great full back and like several of his generation, a one-club man.

He will indeed be sadly missed, and commiserations to his family.

Fulham 442

RIP George, a legend for club and country and a true gentleman. I count myself very priviledged to have met him. My sincerest condolences to his family. I was very glad to be able to sign the book of condolence set up by the club and now echo the calls of many Fulham fans for the new Riverside stand to be renamed after him.

Colton F.C.

Some lovely photos in the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/gallery/2022/dec/23/george-cohen-a-life-in-pictures

A couple showing his trademark flaling arms. Not sure about the lawn mowing!

Plodder

Like Oakeshott (see above), it may be an age thing, but I found it easier in the past to feel an association with players of yesteryear, when they were not overpaid as the current generation is, and more of them had a proper local connection with Fulham.  George was part of the Fulham family, and will be greatly missed, but will rightly be remembered as one of the club's greatest players.

Twig

The Riverside Stand or The George Cohen Stand? No brainer.

LC

Lovely reading all the comments on here

Ed

I was privileged to have a round of golf with George, just a lovely guy and shared loads of stories as we hacked our way round the course, a wonderful memory

HV71

Many years ago I was fortunate to spend quite a lot of time in a NHS physiotherapist class with Ray Wilson (then a funeral director in Huddersfield) - hardly imaginable in this day and age. Anyway , we obviously chatted about the World Cup and the players. He was full of praise for George who he would constantly repeat was a charming man and a great bloke to be around. I had no connection with Fulham then but it always stuck in my mind how he mentioned George more than any of the others. Clearly a brilliant man both on , and off the pitch .RIP.

AJW48361

Not sure naming the new stand after George is the Smartest move.

Jules

AJW48361