Main Menu

The Almost Nearly Summer Silly Season Transfer Thread 2023

Started by Deeping_white, March 29, 2023, 09:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LC

Quote from: Kingjay81 on June 01, 2023, 11:43:39 PM
Quote from: Craven Mad on June 01, 2023, 08:34:42 PM
Quote from: twang on June 01, 2023, 04:37:16 PM
Quote from: Chutney on June 01, 2023, 02:09:39 PMDecent player but a bit of an odd one as he's another right sided CB, its the left side we need to strengthen imo.

Makes sense if Tosin won't extend his contract, as we'd then need to cash in on him this summer and find a right sided CB as competition for Diop.

He was Wolfsburg's LCB when he joined them (in a back four which had Mbabu at RB), albeit he's currently more commonly deployed on the right of their back 3.

He might be right footed, but he's very adept with his left foot and arguably had his best season for Wolfsburg as their starting LCB.

FWIW, I think he'd be an excellent addition. He is generally a deep-lying, long-ball-playing CB, so is very capable of playing in a similar way to Ream. I think he could also provide competition at RCB, but he'd be a great foil anlongside either of Diop or Tosin (who like to roam up the pitch while Ream covers).

Wolfsburg paid about £10m for him a couple of years ago, and he's starter with several years left on his contract, so I can't see him coming too cheap.

I've never understood this LCB/RCB thing. No one ever talks about having to have a left sided centre midfielder or a left sided striker back in the old days of 442. Brede Hangeland, the best centre back in my lifetime was right footed but played to the left of Aaaron Hughes.

Since Ream broke his arm, I can't think of a moment where I thought Diop looked out of place because he's right footed.

Might be old fashioned but it sounds a bit football manager to me.

Yes I agree. If you play a 3 at the back then it starts to become more relevant as the RCB and LCB cover for the wingbacks, but if you're playing two centre backs then it really shouldn't be a problem

RAY Rock ????

Diop has been very shaky when receiving the ball from Leno or Tosin it is obvious that he doesn't feel comfortable playing LCB . If we ever went to a three at the back I think he would excel being in the middle of a three

The Rational Fan

In the 18/19 Season, Tim Ream's best performances were as a RCB with three clean sheets even though he is left footed and probably played less than half a dozen games at RCB in his life. Most right footed centre backs have played at LCB a fair bit (at least more than Ream has played at RCB). A good centre back can play either RCB or LCB, I wouldn't be too concerned with getting a left footer.

Frankly, the combination of centre back skills is more important, such as at least one centre back having pace, one having heading abilities, one able to provide a good long ball,  one good at possession and one having defensive vision.

TheRealMB

What do we know about this guy?

?s=46&t=k-EMqXW30As_WITAc7TLnA

Roman Faivre for 13M

Craven Mad

Quote from: TheRealMB on June 02, 2023, 04:22:45 AMWhat do we know about this guy?

Roman Faivre for 13M

He's a very technically gifted player, who's great at dribbling and can pick out a pass, but basically hasn't hit the heights expected of him by now (he's 24). He's a left-footed trickster on the right wing but has often lacked an end product.

Lyon bought him for about £13m in Jan 2022, then - after a poor start to this season - quickly loaned him to Lorient in Jan. He's been decent for Lorient, bagging 3 goals and 3 assists in 15 appearances, but it seems that Lyon don't see a future for him and want to cash in whilst he still has some value (I assume Lorient can't afford him).

It's notable that Lyon's formation is more similar to our own, being a 4-2-3-1, whereas Lorient plays a 3–4-3 which converts to a 5-4-1 when defending. I only mention this, as - without claiming to be an expert in Ligue 1 - its possible that Faivre's upturn in performances is linked to a tactical game that suits him, which we may not be able to replicate.

Overall, I think the jury is out on Faivre. There's no doubt that he has quality, but he's been inconsistent and hasn't really achieved as much as some may have expected.

No doubt that he could be excellent for us, especially if he builds on his form at Lorient, but I wouldn't currently start him over Willian or Wilson.

alfie

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

f bloke

[In the 18/19 Season, Tim Ream's best performances were as a RCB with three clean sheets even though he is left footed and probably played less than half a dozen games at RCB in his life. Most right footed centre backs have played at LCB a fair bit (at least more than Ream has played at RCB). A good centre back can play either RCB or LCB, I wouldn't be too concerned with getting a left footer.

Frankly, the combination of centre back skills is more important, such as at least one centre back having pace, one having heading abilities, one able to provide a good long ball,  one good at possession and one having defensive vision.]

I agree that the importance may have been overstated in the past but the game has changed a lot even since the Hangelaand and Hughes era - the short goal kicks has meant that the ball is played out from the back to an extent not seen before and this requires technical excellence from the CB's and having left footed LCBs and right footed RCB's helps to create the angles to play through the modern press.  Tim Reams ability on the ball, particularly his ability to find Robinson and Willian in space has been a key element of our build up play and has been missed since he has been out.

Now he just happens to be very very good on the ball but his left footedness has been important to us.  I agree that defensive nous and technical excellence are more important and that it is less of an issue for CB's to play inverted than full backs, but, all else being equal, I would have a strong preference for the CB's to play on the side of their stronger foot

Barrett487

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-transfer-news-premier-league-fran-navarro/

Fulham are reportedly eyeing Gil Vicente striker Fran Navarro this summer, despite there being no suggestion Aleksandar Mitrovic will leave.

While there could be outgoings at Fulham, the same can also be said for incomings, as they have been linked with a host of players recently.

FC Porto star Mateus Uribe has been mentioned in recent months, potentially as an alternative to Palhinha, with Man United duo Fred and Harry Maguire also rumoured to be on their radar.

Now, as per The Evening Standard and journalist Dom Smith, it appears Fulham have additions further forward in mind - despite there being no indication Mitrovic or Carlos Vinicius will leave.

Indeed, it is believed that Fulham are eyeing a move for Navarro from Gil Vicente as they monitor him, with the summer transfer window well and truly looming,

The 25-year-old has been in exceptional form in the Primeira Liga, potentially leading to Fulham's interest, and it will be imperative for them to build upon what has been a solid season.

Who is Fran Navarro?
The Spaniard graduated from Valencia's academy and scored a plethora of goals at youth level for them, but couldn't quite break into the first team, eventually moving on to Gil Vicente in Portugal.

He scored 21 goals in all competitions over 2022/2023, standing out as their star striker, and perhaps justifying why both Liverpool and Real Madrid reportedly held an interest back in 2016.

The then-18-year-old was on Madrid and Jurgen Klopp's radar as a promising youngster back then, according to a report by SuperDeporte, but Navarro's stock has now risen significantly after a brilliant season.

There are little mentions of an asking price for the forward, but can you imagine it will be significant, as we can't envisage Gil Vicente will let him go easily.

@jolslover

STH H3

dgnffc

IloveFFC

Duffy leaves the club

Farewell message from him on his social media

FFC1987

Social media post from Solomon seems to suggest, perhaps, that he's staying next season. Done a Fulham player reel with the caption 'see you next season'.

My interpretation is that he's saying he'll be here next season but perhaps I'm being optimistic. Carlos Vinicius among others liked it too.

Deeping_white

Quote from: FFC1987 on June 02, 2023, 12:00:14 PMSocial media post from Solomon seems to suggest, perhaps, that he's staying next season. Done a Fulham player reel with the caption 'see you next season'.

My interpretation is that he's saying he'll be here next season but perhaps I'm being optimistic. Carlos Vinicius among others liked it too.

I noticed that too - couldn't decide between it being something generic or him staying but I'm a glass half full kinda guy so I'm going to err on the side of it being him staying, we shall see  ::scarf:: 

Craven Mad

Quote from: Deeping_white on June 02, 2023, 12:03:17 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on June 02, 2023, 12:00:14 PMSocial media post from Solomon seems to suggest, perhaps, that he's staying next season. Done a Fulham player reel with the caption 'see you next season'.

I noticed that too - couldn't decide between it being something generic or him staying but I'm a glass half full kinda guy so I'm going to err on the side of it being him staying, we shall see  ::scarf:: 

I saw that too - was quite surprised, as I thought he'd be off. Would be delighted if he wants to stay.

Despite some impressive individual performances from him this season, the team averages nearly 3 additional goals per game when Willian is on the pitch compared to Solomon (thanks to CottageAnalytica on Twitter for that stat).

Great, great news if he stays, as there's definitely a top quality player there, but he needs to keep his feet on the ground and learn that if the team succeeds he succeeds.

andrew G

I have seen this comment a few times but cannot find anywhere where he says he is staying. Can you tell me what platform it is on, I like the idea of him remaining so a bit of encouragement woiuld be a good thing.

btffc

Quote from: andrew G on June 02, 2023, 12:53:02 PM

I have seen this comment a few times but cannot find anywhere where he says he is staying. Can you tell me what platform it is on, I like the idea of him remaining so a bit of encouragement woiuld be a good thing.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cs-8MGYLQ_3/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA%3D%3D

andrew G

Quote from: btffc on June 02, 2023, 01:43:09 PM
Quote from: andrew G on June 02, 2023, 12:53:02 PM

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cs-8MGYLQ_3/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA%3D%3D

thank you. ambiguous, but i'll take that as a positive. better than saying thanks for everything I'm off!

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Craven Mad on June 02, 2023, 08:39:40 AM
Quote from: TheRealMB on June 02, 2023, 04:22:45 AMWhat do we know about this guy?

Roman Faivre for 13M

He's a very technically gifted player, who's great at dribbling and can pick out a pass, but basically hasn't hit the heights expected of him by now (he's 24). He's a left-footed trickster on the right wing but has often lacked an end product.

Lyon bought him for about £13m in Jan 2022, then - after a poor start to this season - quickly loaned him to Lorient in Jan. He's been decent for Lorient, bagging 3 goals and 3 assists in 15 appearances, but it seems that Lyon don't see a future for him and want to cash in whilst he still has some value (I assume Lorient can't afford him).

It's notable that Lyon's formation is more similar to our own, being a 4-2-3-1, whereas Lorient plays a 3–4-3 which converts to a 5-4-1 when defending. I only mention this, as - without claiming to be an expert in Ligue 1 - its possible that Faivre's upturn in performances is linked to a tactical game that suits him, which we may not be able to replicate.

Overall, I think the jury is out on Faivre. There's no doubt that he has quality, but he's been inconsistent and hasn't really achieved as much as some may have expected.

No doubt that he could be excellent for us, especially if he builds on his form at Lorient, but I wouldn't currently start him over Willian or Wilson.

Seems like he would be on the right wing as Wilson's competition. The club do need another left footer out there. I am most interested what acquiring someone like him would mean for BDR. Does this mean he is moving on? Will he just move in to the midfield or continue as the swiss army knife bench player?

LC

I think it's worth mentioning that we are really linked with players that we end up buying (I think last summer was the rare expecting). A lot of our signings seem to come out of no where- the club seem to be pretty good at keeping our business under the radar