watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Almost Nearly Summer Silly Season Transfer Thread 2023

Started by Deeping_white, March 29, 2023, 09:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas White

I don't get the Ward Prose love in. Been a passenger for Saints and they are going down. A good free kick but we need 100% committed.
I like Fred, my brother says no.

bill taylors apprentice

The summer transfer window opens on Wednesday June 14 and will close at 11pm on Friday September 1;

In typical Fulham tradition I won't be concerning myself with any incoming transfer news until the last few days of August.

FFC1987

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on May 31, 2023, 11:13:24 AMThe summer transfer window opens on Wednesday June 14 and will close at 11pm on Friday September 1;

In typical Fulham tradition I won't be concerning myself with any incoming transfer news until the last few days of August.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but when did Pereria and Palinha sign for us?

Craven Mad

Quote from: FFC1987 on May 31, 2023, 11:35:12 AM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on May 31, 2023, 11:13:24 AMThe summer transfer window opens on Wednesday June 14 and will close at 11pm on Friday September 1;

Maybe I'm misremembering, but when did Pereria and Palinha sign for us?

Palhinha - 4 July. Pereira - 11 July.

bUt wE oNlY dO dEaLs oN dEaDlInE dAy!!!!

Just think folks, in little over a month we could be signing next season's stars!

Marcel_Gecov

Twitter saying Elanga available for 10m. What do we think? Only 21 but with 6 goals in 61 games from the wing. Potential Kebano replacement maybe?

WindyCity

Ward-Prowse - pass, terrific on a free kick, but I don't really see much of an upgrade in him to what we currently have in the squad

James - pass

Fred - not sure, a definite maybe

LC

Quote from: WindyCity on May 31, 2023, 03:19:47 PMWard-Prowse - pass, terrific on a free kick, but I don't really see much of an upgrade in him to what we currently have in the squad

James - pass

Fred - not sure, a definite maybe

James Ward-Prowse is 29 years old later this year and would cost at least £40m, a good player for sure, but we have to pass

LC

Ideally we want business done early so we can have a good pre-season. But in reality it matters much less this window as we have a solid top 10 PL team already. I'd expect the majority of our starting 11 will be starting next year as well, so getting business done early would be nice but not as important as it was last year.

Having finished in the top 10, I think it will be easier to get business done faster this summer window 

Craven Mad

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on May 31, 2023, 12:08:45 PMTwitter saying Elanga available for 10m. What do we think? Only 21 but with 6 goals in 61 games from the wing. Potential Kebano replacement maybe?

Doesn't feel like the sort of player we'd go for: kinda young, quite expensive, but hasn't shown much to justify the potential fee. We tend to go for players who've proven themselves a bit more, or who are younger/cheaper and justify the risk.

Elanga is probably a 'miss' for me, but I may have missed some of his more promising appearances.

LC

I would like us to go for Mateo Retegui. Could be a gamble could be a great signing

Deeping_white

Chutney

Quote from: Deeping_white on June 01, 2023, 01:57:47 PM

Decent player but a bit of an odd one as he's another right sided CB, its the left side we need to strengthen imo.
C O Y W

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on May 31, 2023, 12:08:45 PMTwitter saying Elanga available for 10m. What do we think? Only 21 but with 6 goals in 61 games from the wing. Potential Kebano replacement maybe?

I would prefer Amad Diallo, who impressed me when Sunderland played us.

Somerset Fulham

Marco is trending on Twitter, he is on Spurs' three man shortlist apparently.  Along with Luis Enrique and the fella from Celtic.

twang

Quote from: Chutney on June 01, 2023, 02:09:39 PMDecent player but a bit of an odd one as he's another right sided CB, its the left side we need to strengthen imo.

Makes sense if Tosin won't extend his contract, as we'd then need to cash in on him this summer and find a right sided CB as competition for Diop.

Craven Mad

Quote from: twang on June 01, 2023, 04:37:16 PM
Quote from: Chutney on June 01, 2023, 02:09:39 PMDecent player but a bit of an odd one as he's another right sided CB, its the left side we need to strengthen imo.

Makes sense if Tosin won't extend his contract, as we'd then need to cash in on him this summer and find a right sided CB as competition for Diop.

He was Wolfsburg's LCB when he joined them (in a back four which had Mbabu at RB), albeit he's currently more commonly deployed on the right of their back 3.

He might be right footed, but he's very adept with his left foot and arguably had his best season for Wolfsburg as their starting LCB.

FWIW, I think he'd be an excellent addition. He is generally a deep-lying, long-ball-playing CB, so is very capable of playing in a similar way to Ream. I think he could also provide competition at RCB, but he'd be a great foil anlongside either of Diop or Tosin (who like to roam up the pitch while Ream covers).

Wolfsburg paid about £10m for him a couple of years ago, and he's starter with several years left on his contract, so I can't see him coming too cheap.

Carborundum

Illuminating note immediately above from Craven Mad, appreciate the insight.

I've never fully bought into the idea of left and right sided CBs.  Partly that's down to my formative experiences in the position where at my level being able to put your head on the ball was the prime consideration.  Clearly there's more to it than that.

Having watched us this season, I'm wondering if the most important consideration is how the two CBs get on, which you don't really know until you try it out and crucially the pairing with the adjacent fullback.  Ream (good at distribution, not the quickest) and Robinson (quick and hard to get round, not the most creative) bring out the very best in each other. 

So this fellow could be a decent fit on the left hand side.

Alternatively what we could find is that he's at Mbabu's level and we had fair warning.

Deeping_white

Kingjay81

Quote from: Craven Mad on June 01, 2023, 08:34:42 PM
Quote from: twang on June 01, 2023, 04:37:16 PM

He was Wolfsburg's LCB when he joined them (in a back four which had Mbabu at RB), albeit he's currently more commonly deployed on the right of their back 3.

He might be right footed, but he's very adept with his left foot and arguably had his best season for Wolfsburg as their starting LCB.

FWIW, I think he'd be an excellent addition. He is generally a deep-lying, long-ball-playing CB, so is very capable of playing in a similar way to Ream. I think he could also provide competition at RCB, but he'd be a great foil anlongside either of Diop or Tosin (who like to roam up the pitch while Ream covers).

Wolfsburg paid about £10m for him a couple of years ago, and he's starter with several years left on his contract, so I can't see him coming too cheap.

I've never understood this LCB/RCB thing. No one ever talks about having to have a left sided centre midfielder or a left sided striker back in the old days of 442. Brede Hangeland, the best centre back in my lifetime was right footed but played to the left of Aaaron Hughes.

Since Ream broke his arm, I can't think of a moment where I thought Diop looked out of place because he's right footed.

Might be old fashioned but it sounds a bit football manager to me.